Sponsored

Need recommendations for hide a key soulutions on JLUR?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
HI, I am looking at getting a spare key made (without the keyfob/electronics just the laser cut key)
has a precaution in case I lock my key in jeep. first question is what "hide a key" do you recommend for a jeep that will get dirty and bang around off road?

and second questions is if I lock my key in jeep. and I use the external laser cut key to open door will it set off alarm?
and if it does how do I get alarm to turn off? I have the proximity sensor doors etc..

thks
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
HI, I am looking at getting a spare key made (without the keyfob/electronics just the laser cut key)
has a precaution in case I lock my key in jeep. first question is what "hide a key" do you recommend for a jeep that will get dirty and bang around off road?

and second questions is if I lock my key in jeep. and I use the external laser cut key to open door will it set off alarm?
and if it does how do I get alarm to turn off? I have the proximity sensor doors etc..

thks
I would say taking the key out of one of the fobs would be an option, otherwise find a local hardware store that can duplicate it. There are plenty of places under the hood to hide it.

Unlocking with physical key will set off your alarm, you have to use the fob (or app maybe) to disable it, of course touching one of the door handles with fob nearby works as well.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I know some people would just toss the spare fob in a ziplock bag and wrap it in tin foil and shove it into your hitch (with the cover)

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
On my JK i would keep my spare key hidden under the hood in a small hole near the battery since the hoods dont lock. Did that for 8 yrs in the AZ summer (2 different jeeps) and never had a problem with the keyfob. im hesitant to do that with the new one though as you cant just program your own third key and they are quite expensive

Sponsored

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Hmm. If you have a key fob hidden under the hood in close proximity to the front door, won’t the vehicle see that as a key nearby and allow you to touch the door handle and unlock the Jeep? Assuming you have that feature, of course. If I’m 3 feet away, someone else can touch the handle and the door unlocks.

Sponsored

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
+1 Hitch safe, have used one for about 8yrs never an issue. On the JLUR I took the key out of the fob and placed it in the safe and hid the fob in a faraday bag in the Jeep. Not worried about locking fob in car whether that’s possible or not but worried about losing fob on the trail while hiking/biking.

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In my JK I put it in a magnetic box and inserted it into the front end of the receiver hitch tube. A pain to get to, but well hidden. After many off road trips it was always there and hadn’t moved.

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.standardroofingok.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How are you imagining you are going to lock the keys in the vehicle? It’s next to impossible. The doors won’t lock with the keys inside.
+1. Locked fob in rental '19 Sahara and had a serious panic attack for about a half second. Horn honked and doors unlocked.
Sponsored