Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Background:
Running 37x12.5x17 Milestar Patagonias because they were cheap and the Mrs. liked the look. I've posted on other threads how I am not a fan.

The Mrs. has 5 of her 7 neck vertebrae fused into one solid vertebrae (this fact will come in to play in a minute).

We are in AK right now driving across the country to wheel Sand Hollow and Moab and these tires are wreaking havoc on my wife's neck. They are a D rated sidewall and are known to be stiff. The problem is when you air them down to 24 psi to soften the sidewall out the tires start cupping horribly and also dusting, meaning you can literally see rubber dust on the tire. Cruising at 70+ mph in 95 degree heat is also putting a beating on them and this also means they are going to wear even quicker. It's well known you do not get a lot of life out these tires and I can see exactly why. We know from @Kevin8086 that you can't run the Pats at lower psi like you can other tires because of exactly what we are seeing. This means I need to keep them aired up in the mid 30s to get better wear but there is no way I can do this because they become so firm that it wreaks havoc on my wife's neck and cause a lot of pain. So I've resolved to the fact that this trip out to UT and then back will pretty much cook these tires off and I will be looking for another tire. I run Cooper STTs on my rig and can run them at 25psi no problem and they wear great, they too are a D rated sidewall.
It's important to note that these are our DDs and see everything from around town, to highway to rough off roading. I would love to hear feedback on other tire brands specifically in the 37" size.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've read Falcon shocks ride stiff. Suspension will be your best move IMO
Thanks for the input and I agree shocks can play a major role but she can tell by the pressure of the tire. I was running them at 23 psi and she had no problems and when I took them up to 32 psi she immediately could tell I did something.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thanks for the input and I agree shocks can play a major role but she can tell by the pressure of the tire. I was running them at 23 psi and she had no problems and when I took them up to 32 psi she immediately could tell I did something.
I dont think its your tires my friend....my 37" pats ride fine at 34psi. I've read many posts + talked with vendors that have said the JL falcon shocks ride stiffer. They also dont have alot of travel for wheelin bc they only extend to 27" in the front. RK and Metalcloak both have 2-3" more travel plus seem to ride better. I'm curious why you chose the teraflex lift with those shocks for your wife with a bad neck....it doesn't seem to be a popular lift on here for those reasons.

I would call teraflex and tell them you want to ditch the falcon shocks and setup a softer ride...ask if the fox 2.0 ifp shocks pair well with their springs. The jl fox 2.0's are claimed to ride on the soft side by many folks. Best of luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think its your tires my friend....my 37" pats ride fine at 34psi. I've read many posts + talked with vendors that have said the JL falcon shocks ride stiffer. They also dont have alot of travel for wheelin bc they only extend to 27" in the front. RK and Metalcloak both have 2-3" more travel plus seem to ride better. I'm curious why you chose the teraflex lift with those shocks for your wife with a bad neck....it doesn't seem to be a popular lift on here for those reasons.

I would call teraflex and tell them you want to ditch the falcon shocks and setup a softer ride...ask if the fox 2.0 ifp shocks pair well with their springs. The jl fox 2.0's are claimed to ride on the soft side by many folks. Best of luck.
Thanks for the feedback. The reason we went with the Falcons is I have them on my Jeep and when she drove around in my Jeep she thought they felt good. The reason I keep coming back to the tire is when we run the tire down at 23 or 24 psi she is fine but when I run them up in the low 30s she gets pain. We also know others have complained about the stiff sidewalls on the 37s and have gone with 38 Pats because they are C rated and ride notably smoother than the 37s.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
STT pro's in 37 run great like you said. I drive them often around 25-26psi after a wheeling trip when the next day they are no longer at the 30 I aired them up too. They still seem to wear great which is a plus.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
STT pro's in 37 run great like you said. I drive them often around 25-26psi after a wheeling trip when the next day they are no longer at the 30 I aired them up too. They still seem to wear great which is a plus.
Great performing/looking tire....no doubt

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can´t speak for 37ś, but the 35s (315) C load range tires on my JL deliver an outstanding ride, especially with the Mopar lift. They have no issue with lower pressure, either, wearing just fine with 30psi cold. It feels like it rides like a 2003 Tahoe I used to have, and that thing was plush. As for strength, they´ve survived off roading in Colorado Moab, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Never a cut, and I haven´t seen any chunking, either. Traction has been better than expected in all types of terrain. I do have to spin them to clear them in mud, but they get me out.

Just my 2c. Maybe they have a 37 in a C or D range?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can´t speak for 37ś, but the 35s (315) C load range tires on my JL deliver an outstanding ride, especially with the Mopar lift. They have no issue with lower pressure, either, wearing just fine with 30psi cold. It feels like it rides like a 2003 Tahoe I used to have, and that thing was plush. As for strength, they´ve survived off roading in Colorado Moab, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Never a cut, and I haven´t seen any chunking, either. Traction has been better than expected in all types of terrain. I do have to spin them to clear them in mud, but they get me out.

Just my 2c. Maybe they have a 37 in a C or D range?
I'll never own Pats again, but for your reference the 37s come in D and interestingly enough if you go to 38s they drop to a C rating.
Sponsored