Sponsored

Need quick answers. Placing new order. Hard-top or soft-top?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
2-door models don't get the dual top option.

Plus he said he won't drive it in winter
Didn’t know that. That’s dumb.

Yeah, he will NEVER drive it in the winter..... The most capable off-road vehicle... NEVER drive it in the snow... LOL
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
OP posts a wall of text, most people don’t read past the headline.
I didn’t lol

I looked at the question, looked at his location and BAM solid answer. Saying you’ll NEVER drive it in the winter is a flat out lie lol

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Soft top.

Stray rain showers happen far more often to me than I'd like to admit lol

I'm not disappointed in how the top sits when it's all the way down. I bought a couple heavy-duty Velcro straps from Home Depot for 5 bucks, and I strap those around the top when I put it down. 30 seconds and the top is nice and bundled and sits well below my tire carrier.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yeah, he will NEVER drive it in the winter..... The most capable off-road vehicle... NEVER drive it in the snow... LOL
It's not the snow. It's the salt thats that problem. It has a particular appetite to eat Jeep frames.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Although I'm a bigger hardtop fan, if you never plan on driving in snow or bad weather, get the softop. The new softop is nothing like the old and honestly would probably go up and down faster than just taking off the hard top. With the design of the new softop and how quickly and easily you can remove the just the side and rear windows make it a no brainer.

But an 04 Rubicon with 24,500 original miles?!?! That thing would be worth a fortune!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the snow. It's the salt thats that problem. It has a particular appetite to eat Jeep frames.
I know but still dude that like me saying I’ll never drive mine in the beach lol

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know but still dude that like me saying I’ll never drive mine in the beach lol
Saying you’ll NEVER drive it in the winter is a flat out lie lol
Sand and salt are not equal though, he's not the only one in the rust-belt that does it.

My Rubicon also sits in the garage all winter, on a battery tender, under a flannel cover. It never has, and never will see snow.

I've had a YJ and TJ that were destroyed by salt because they were my daily driver at the time. Many years later I'm lucky enough that my Jeep is now a 4th vehicle, so I can keep it stored during winter and only drive it in the summer. No more worrying about rust.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I have a soft top and really like it but...there is one issue that would make me think twice about another one with a soft top. In a strong sidewind, 40 mph or so, the top will separate from the door frame and the Velcro on the rear window. This opens a hole that is maybe 4" tall and 12" long. That is a big hole in the winter time with snow blowing in.....or in the summer when it's raining sideways.

Something to think about....
What top do you have? I've never seen a soft top do that, and that includes the crappy Rampage soft top that was on my TJ.

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I didn’t lol

I looked at the question, looked at his location and BAM solid answer. Saying you’ll NEVER drive it in the winter is a flat out lie lol
I didn’t read the wall either I saw headline quick answer but a wall of a question.

But to answer question I live in jersey I went premium soft top only. Was going to get dual top but I did that with my JKUR and since I had no place to store hardtop I never took it off and early even took off the freedom panels. So I would think of this more then weather soft top or hardtop both will be fine in the winter or summer.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
While I live in FL, I drove my softop JK up to PA in the winter several times and had no issues with the cold.I don't think a hard top would have been warmer - so I don't by into the hard top for the winter argument. That being said, I will always get the hard top (ordered on my JLUR) or dual top - There's a plethora of soft tops and varieties out for the JK, and coming soon for the JL. But there is really only one good hardtop for them, and that's factory, and it costs way more to do aftermarket. Plus you have to do the wiring and washer if you want that functionality.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
This my first post to this site. Long time Jeep owner, but first time with this new a model. I am in the last stage of prepping my order for a 2019 Wrangler 2-door Rubicon. I've got one day to decide this. The only option I have not decided on is soft-top or hard-top. I watched a number of on-line videos on both and it only made the decision harder. My current Jeep has a soft-top, but with all the changes to hard-tops, I have to look at that angle also. Here's how I will be using my Jeep. I live in Michigan, near the Canadian borders. 5 months of winter and tons of road salt, so this Jeep will not see winter at all. Just like my last Jeep, it will be stored during that time. Once on the road, it will not be a daily driver. It will only be driven with the top off on nice days, just pleasure riding. Matter of fact, the top will not be on at all during the 6-7 months I will use it. Based on that, I would say get the hard-top and remove it completely for that 6-7 months. But, with the soft-top, it would be nice to have the ability to put it up in case of a stray unexpected rain shower. I know all this seems trivial, but there is quite a price difference in the two tops I am looking at. I did see one video where the comments about the soft-top and how far it goes back when down was disappointing. Can anyone chime in on the positives and negatives they have found with their choices. Thanks. And by the way, I've got a 2004 Rubicon with 24,500 original miles. About as nice a Jeep that you can find. Silver with tons of extras. Same story the entire time I've owned the 04. Not a daily driver. Never saw a snow flake or road salt and only for pleasure cruising. 100% garage kept with custom cover and in fantastic condition.
I have owned Jeeps from CJ's, YJ's, a ton of TJ's and even a JKU before my JLU- The premium soft top is FAR better than any of my old soft tops. It is easier to take down, it is easier to take in and out the windows, and it is far quitter. I can cruise down the highway at 70+ in the soft top and have a conversation with everyone in the Jeep. If it is being stored most of the winter it makes no sense to me to have a hard top. I have considered selling my hard top and just daily driving my soft top even through the winter. It is much more livable than the old soft tops in my opinion.
Sponsored