Sponsored

Need quick answers. Placing new order. Hard-top or soft-top?

aangst

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Rubicon 2019 Jeep Rubicon
This my first post to this site. Long time Jeep owner, but first time with this new a model. I am in the last stage of prepping my order for a 2019 Wrangler 2-door Rubicon. I've got one day to decide this. The only option I have not decided on is soft-top or hard-top. I watched a number of on-line videos on both and it only made the decision harder. My current Jeep has a soft-top, but with all the changes to hard-tops, I have to look at that angle also. Here's how I will be using my Jeep. I live in Michigan, near the Canadian borders. 5 months of winter and tons of road salt, so this Jeep will not see winter at all. Just like my last Jeep, it will be stored during that time. Once on the road, it will not be a daily driver. It will only be driven with the top off on nice days, just pleasure riding. Matter of fact, the top will not be on at all during the 6-7 months I will use it. Based on that, I would say get the hard-top and remove it completely for that 6-7 months. But, with the soft-top, it would be nice to have the ability to put it up in case of a stray unexpected rain shower. I know all this seems trivial, but there is quite a price difference in the two tops I am looking at. I did see one video where the comments about the soft-top and how far it goes back when down was disappointing. Can anyone chime in on the positives and negatives they have found with their choices. Thanks. And by the way, I've got a 2004 Rubicon with 24,500 original miles. About as nice a Jeep that you can find. Silver with tons of extras. Same story the entire time I've owned the 04. Not a daily driver. Never saw a snow flake or road salt and only for pleasure cruising. 100% garage kept with custom cover and in fantastic condition.
Sponsored

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Dual-top is an obvious choice.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Hard top-

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
Can't do dual top on a 2 door. I'd go with the soft top. you will need more storage area for the hard top. You can leave the soft top on and have it in case of rain or too much sun. The safari option is cool too. But either way, it's your choice and your money.

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Soft top. Even if it sees winter, soft top. My 2 door JK had a hardtop and I ordered a Bestop soft top for it. Best decision I ever made.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I have a soft top and really like it but...there is one issue that would make me think twice about another one with a soft top. In a strong sidewind, 40 mph or so, the top will separate from the door frame and the Velcro on the rear window. This opens a hole that is maybe 4" tall and 12" long. That is a big hole in the winter time with snow blowing in.....or in the summer when it's raining sideways.

Something to think about....

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If you were going to drive it in the winter, I would totally say hardtop. But since you only drive in nice weather, get the softtop. I think the softtop is one of the best new design elements of the JL.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go hard top and add the Bestop Sunrider ... that offers the best of both worlds (IMHO). Sunrider works on both 4-door and 2-door JLs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get the standard soft top, and remove the whole thing. What’s the point of either top if you’re just never going to put it on?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You live in Michigan.

I’d say dual top.

Any place that has sh!tty weather (cold) you need the hardtop. And in the summer rock the soft top.
2-door models don't get the dual top option.

Plus he said he won't drive it in winter

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
2-door models don't get the dual top option.

Plus he said he won't drive it in winter
OP posts a wall of text, most people don’t read past the headline.
Sponsored