jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Hi all.

I come to my fellow Jeeple with an important question. I’m having trouble deciding on which bumpers I should get and figured some opinions would help with that.

I’m stuck between the Rugged Ridge Venator and the Mopar steel bumper. I appreciate the responses.:like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Opinions On Bumpers 472864E3-47D9-4265-A251-D17CF3E45C1D

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Opinions On Bumpers 4A606757-254D-4413-9AB6-E5E8048F0ED3
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mopar, the stubby w/ the low bull bar is a great combo IMO.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Opinions On Bumpers 1621999770845

Last edited:

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I'm looking for a front bumper as well, I was interested in the Rugged Ridge but decided to go with Warn Elite full width instead.

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I like the look of some of the Rugged Ridge bumpers, but those shackle mounts worry me. If you got enough of a side load on one of those from a pull, or slide into a tree or rock, or just some idiot in a parking lot, it seems like they would bend the frame of the Jeep. There's a stubby version of the Venator too if you're into that look. I don't think it's convertible from one to the other like the stock bumper though. There's an aluminum copy of the stock bumper that looks pretty tempting. Check out Extreme Terrain's MP Concepts bumper.

Sponsored

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Might really depend on if you like full width, mid or stubby bumpers. Also will you match the rear with the same brand? Of the 2 you listed, the Mopar steel bumper is probably the better choice but I just think it looks better.

I just went through this headache and went with the Warn Elite Front Stubby bumper. Checked all the boxes for me plus I liked the warn tire carrier for the back.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I like the look of some of the Rugged Ridge bumpers, but those shackle mounts worry me. If you got enough of a side load on one of those from a pull, or slide into a tree or rock, or just some idiot in a parking lot, it seems like they would bend the frame of the Jeep. There's a stubby version of the Venator too if you're into that look. I don't think it's convertible from one to the other like the stock bumper though. There's an aluminum copy of the stock bumper that looks pretty tempting. Check out Extreme Terrain's MP Concepts bumper.
You think the shackle mounts are worse than the open hooks on the mopar bumper?

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
You think the shackle mounts are worse than the open hooks on the mopar bumper?
I think the oversized Rugged Ridge shackle mounts are more likely to damage the frame of the Jeep. It's probably not an issue in most cases. Just a concern I have if there were enough lateral force put into them. The open hooks have their disadvantages, but from what I've seen they seem to be a better match to the strength of other parts in that area and there's less potential of putting a big moment force through them from a side load.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Having fairly recently gone through the bumper selection process, to me the decision points were (not in priority order):

1. Cost
In order to facilitate other purchases I set my limit at around $1k - This did eliminate a few but not many.​

2. Weight
I have a diesel JLUR so weight is a significant issue for me. I decided I required aluminum to keep the weight low - This eliminated most bumpers on the market​

3. Ground clearance
I did not want a bumper that gave me much less clearance than factory. - This eliminated some...but in hindsight I would have elevated this factor in importance and eliminated more.​

4. Winch position
Again with the diesel there are already some concerns about heat and as such I decided I required a bumper that mounted the winch below the level of the grill (between frame rails) - This eliminated a lot of bumpers​

5. Protection provided
I put this at lower priority than weight. In the end I wanted some type of bull bar to protect the grill a little from tree branches and such, but I was not looking for a huge heavy bumper like I was driving an up-armored vehicle and planning breaking road blocks. - This eliminated many bumpers that did not have an option for a bull bar or were built as Mad Max armor.​

6. Build quality
I balanced this with cost, I decided it need to have good feedback from users and no obvious design problems / noted failures. However, this was balanced with cost. and to some extent appearance. For example, Genright has amazing build quality but is very expensive and I don't particularly love the look (personal opinion). - This eliminated many of the lower end "Amazon" bumpers but very few of the big names.​
7. Features
Had to be winch ready, had to have points for mounting shackles, had to have ability to mount fogs / driving as well as couple of additional lights (don't like hood or roof mounted lights...just personal preference.) - This eliminated a few but not many.​

8. Appearance
Appearance was a factor but below function. My bottom line was I couldn't hate how it looked. - This did eliminate a few bumpers (understand this is a totally subjective category.)​

9. Install process
I am decent turning a wrench and can do a lot of work myself, but I was not going to attempt anything that required fabrication or welding - This only eliminated a few builder type bumpers.​

10. Customer service of manufacturer
I generally wont buy from a manufacturer with noted and sustained bad customer service - This eliminated a few bumpers​
Overall, I know I didn't provide a recommendation as asked for...but this was the decision structure I used to make my decision...maybe it could help make yours.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepster345

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Might really depend on if you like full width, mid or stubby bumpers. Also will you match the rear with the same brand? Of the 2 you listed, the Mopar steel bumper is probably the better choice but I just think it looks better.

I just went through this headache and went with the Warn Elite Front Stubby bumper. Checked all the boxes for me plus I liked the warn tire carrier for the back.
My plan if I was to go with the Rugged Ridge was to get the Venator for the front and the Arcus for the back, since it matches well. I’m starting to lean towards the Mopar one because I can have the option in the future to make it a stubby.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
So what did you end up getting?

Having fairly recently gone through the bumper selection process, to me the decision points were (not in priority order):

1. Cost
In order to facilitate other purchases I set my limit at around $1k - This did eliminate a few but not many.​

2. Weight
I have a diesel JLUR so weight is a significant issue for me. I decided I required aluminum to keep the weight low - This eliminated most bumpers on the market​

3. Ground clearance
I did not want a bumper that gave me much less clearance than factory. - This eliminated some...but in hindsight I would have elevated this factor in importance and eliminated more.​

4. Winch position
Again with the diesel there are already some concerns about heat and as such I decided I required a bumper that mounted the winch below the level of the grill (between frame rails) - This eliminated a lot of bumpers​

5. Protection provided
I put this at lower priority than weight. In the end I wanted some type of bull bar to protect the grill a little from tree branches and such, but I was not looking for a huge heavy bumper like I was driving an up-armored vehicle and planning breaking road blocks. - This eliminated many bumpers that did not have an option for a bull bar or were built as Mad Max armor.​

6. Build quality
I balanced this with cost, I decided it need to have good feedback from users and no obvious design problems / noted failures. However, this was balanced with cost. and to some extent appearance. For example, Genright has amazing build quality but is very expensive and I don't particularly love the look (personal opinion). - This eliminated many of the lower end "Amazon" bumpers but very few of the big names.​
7. Features
Had to be winch ready, had to have points for mounting shackles, had to have ability to mount fogs / driving as well as couple of additional lights (don't like hood or roof mounted lights...just personal preference.) - This eliminated a few but not many.​

8. Appearance
Appearance was a factor but below function. My bottom line was I couldn't hate how it looked. - This did eliminate a few bumpers (understand this is a totally subjective category.)​

9. Install process
I am decent turning a wrench and can do a lot of work myself, but I was not going to attempt anything that required fabrication or welding - This only eliminated a few builder type bumpers.​

10. Customer service of manufacturer
I generally wont buy from a manufacturer with noted and sustained bad customer service - This eliminated a few bumpers​
Overall, I know I didn't provide a recommendation as asked for...but this was the decision structure I used to make my decision...maybe it could help make yours.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I like my Arcus front & rear. I purchased off a lot so didn't get to choose the Mopar. After much looking I settled on the Arcus as I like that look, nearest match to the Mopar. I'm digging the big road tow hooks on these now!

Jeep (2).jpg

JRostek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My plan if I was to go with the Rugged Ridge was to get the Venator for the front and the Arcus for the back, since it matches well. I’m starting to lean towards the Mopar one because I can have the option in the future to make it a stubby.
Makes sense! The Mopar stubby is one of the better looking ones!

One final food for thought: IF you're planning on adding a winch in the future, the Mopar one isnt 100% winch ready.

Sorry!!! Not trying to derail you, just trying to help... The Mopar one has a decent price tag
Sponsored