Need new alternator?

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I am having a new audio system installed in my 2018 JLUS next month.
I sent an email to the installer this evening questioning if we need to upgrade the alternator. We are already adding an extra battery, I can get specs if need be.
The total wattage on the system will be between 2400 and 2600 watts.
I'm just not sure the factory alternator will handle the extra load, especially if I have the system loud for longer durations. The subs alone are 1400watts. I dont want my headlights dimming as the bass hits because there is an extra draw on the batteries and they need extra juice.
I'm sure the installer will get back to me tomorrow, just wanted to know what everyone here thought.
TIA
Anyone know the specs of the stock alternator?
Sponsored

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I am having a new audio system installed in my 2018 JLUS next month.
I sent an email to the installer this evening questioning if we need to upgrade the alternator. We are already adding an extra battery, I can get specs if need be.
The total wattage on the system will be between 2400 and 2600 watts.
I'm just not sure the factory alternator will handle the extra load, especially if I have the system loud for longer durations. The subs alone are 1400watts. I dont want my headlights dimming as the bass hits because there is an extra draw on the batteries and they need extra juice.
I'm sure the installer will get back to me tomorrow, just wanted to know what everyone here thought.
TIA
Anyone know the specs of the stock alternator?
Alternator will be fine. Have them install an audio capacitor. It's function is to prevent exactly what you're talking about.