Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey Everyone,
I’ve had the ongoing “Service Shifter” / electronics freakout issue now for about 2 months as chronicled here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/electronics-freakout-while-driving.89349/

It’s a 2019 Sahara, 2.0 eTorque. The Jeep has now been to the dealership twice, spent 3 weeks in the shop total. 2 months long saga. It was allegedly fixed a week and a half ago. I got it back the night before leaving for a trip. I just got home tonight, went to get dinner and the thing died on me again while approaching a red light, almost causing an accident.

I have an open case with Stellantis but no one has ever contacted me. I’ve always called them and gotten nowhere. I’m going to call the dealership again on Monday. What I am wondering is, what is my legal recourse here? My warranty expired in December 22, but I only have 31k miles for what it’s worth. I requested a buyback from Jeep, no response. I can’t even sell it in its current state, and it’s not safe to drive. One of my clients is a corporate / automotive litigator. I could call in a favor but would prefer not to go that route. Any advice? I’m in New Jersey. I’m not sure if the lemon law applies at this stage of the game.
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Been through NJs LL. It was twice with the same problem and I'm pretty sure it was 2 years or 18k miles. But that time frame and mileage might be from when you first experienced the problem. Its been a while and things might have changed. Go to nj dot gov and look up LL unit I'm sure you will find answers there. Its pretty simple and they'll help you out

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Been through NJs LL. It was twice with the same problem and I'm pretty sure it was 2 years or 18k miles. But that time frame and mileage might be from when you first experienced the problem. Its been a while and things might have changed. Go to nj dot gov and look up LL unit I'm sure you will find answers there. Its pretty simple and they'll help you out
I think I’m SOL on the LL. In NJ It only applies to new cars still under warranty or used cars within 60-90 days of purchase. I may be totally on the hook for this, which is not pleasant.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
You’re still under powertrain warranty. Keep it up with the dealer. Good luck!

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I think I’m SOL on the LL. In NJ It only applies to new cars still under warranty or used cars within 60-90 days of purchase. I may be totally on the hook for this, which is not pleasant.
Dont assume or take "what you heard", if thats the path you want to go look it up yourself. I had a pamphlet from the LL unit that gave all the info. And one thing I'm sure of, it didn't matter how many times it had been sold you would be able to file a claim. It could have sold 5+ times in the mileage/time frame (from new) and that owner could get there money back.
But like I said its been a while, a couple clicks and you can find out real quick.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Don’t take legal advice from anyone here. If you need an attorney, go talk to one.

Next time the dealer talls you there’s nothing wrong, get a trade offer. It seriously easier to trade than to go the lemon law route.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Don’t take legal advice from anyone here. If you need an attorney, go talk to one.

Next time the dealer talls you there’s nothing wrong, get a trade offer. It seriously easier to trade than to go the lemon law route.
I'll agree with you on the legal advice but I will say this. Jersey LL is simple! All you have to do is keep your service records and file with the LL unit.. and I did that over the phone. They handled everything, all I had to do was show up in court.

NJs LL states you don't need an attorney but its optional and legal fees will be paid by the MFG. I've had people ask me about it and have shown them the pamphlet and transcripts but they all chose to get a lawyer.
The lawyers love it, its guaranteed fast money. But they want to push it through fast, don't want to go to court and would rather make a deal. Everyone of them I know that took this route got a refund of $5 - $7k. But they still have the same POS with the same problems and the warranty is gone then, you agreed to it.

If that's the route you want to go contact the LL unit, they were very helpful to me. And if you feel you need a lawyer don't file the claim and thank them for there time

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Contact your State Attorney General’s consumer protection division and open a complaint.
I had to do this back in the day with GM & a faulty engine with a well-known issue. and getting jerked around by 3 different dealers. After I let the AG handle it I received a brand new engine installed under warranty.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Contact your State Attorney General’s consumer protection division and open a complaint.
I had to do this back in the day with GM & a faulty engine with a well-known issue. and getting jerked around by 3 different dealers. After I let the AG handle it I received a brand new engine installed under warranty.
Does that sound familiar. But they had it too many times and I wanted nothing to do with the dealer or the truck. They could have it! ... my story get better, they put a new speedometer in it and sold it out in the mid west.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I’m in California, so I can’t give you legal advice for NJ, but if you were here, that’s what I would tell you. That’s the best advice you should take away from a forum. If you have a friend that you can call in a favor with, you should do that. If for nothing else than to get advice. But definitely don’t just take someone’s word on it that isn’t actually a lawyer.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not a lawyer and don't have any legal advice.

But that quip about telling the dealer you want a trade if they tell you nothing's wrong....well that's an out, sorta. You end up rolling the dice on another FCA product. That may or may not be palatable. Might work.

Last edited:

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
"Sit" in front of your dealership with a poster all day sat. Warn them first. It worked for me at the jag dealership. Fought on phone and via emails for 3 mos abt a new fpace with a whistling window. Told jag after lunch on a fri (timing is important), I would show up sat for a media event. On sat, I did, "ready to go live" , and "waiting" for the "local news" (haha) with posters! It was me and my guy, nicely dressed. I never stepped foot on the grass. That following Monday I dropped off my jag for good. Got a new one, with an added upgrade package for my "time". And unlike your issue, mine wasn't a safety issue. Your issue can be negative media for jeep and your dealership OR it can be the "Jeepers Unite for Life" positive story that warms hearts and promotes jeep client services. Sell them an opportunity while meeting your needs. Man, I love convincing people to do whats right in these situations. It all a mind game. If I could, I'd do it for you in person! Plus, once they fix it, they can resell it at a premium in this market.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Why don't they simply replace the shifter? It's electronic now. Unplug, unbolt, replace.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Why don't they simply replace the shifter? It's electronic now. Unplug, unbolt, replace.
I don’t know that it’s actually the shifter but that is an interesting point. “Service Shifter” is always the first SES warning before total failure of everything else. I’m going to have to make the rounds of calls tomorrow. I tend to favor diplomacy in situations like this but so far it hasn’t gotten me anywhere.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I second the trade route if you are content with another jeep brand vehicle.

I had an issue on my 2018 that took 4 dealer visits and 90+ days for them to still not be able to diagnose. Even though the jeep was still under warranty, I was the second owner, so no LL for me in my state.

After the 4th “repair” I didn’t even bother taking it back. I walked into the showroom and offered it as a trade in. The sales guy talked to the service advisor (who was tired of dealing with me) and they had no issues giving me full value for it.

So far, my 2021 has been great.
Sponsored