Need Input: Sudden Oil Leak - top of engine

03RMK800

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I finished a couple hundred mile trip yesterday, and when I stopped, oil was dripping off my 2019 JLU Sahara (3.6 engine, auto trans). The volume of oil raised concerns that I had run it low, and the dipstick showed low but not out of oil. There had been no engine warning light or other indication of a problem, on the trip or on re-start. On re-start, oil presure was 30--35, and didn't really respond to engine RPM.
Drained the oil-- most all of the oil was there, so its not clear why the dipstick didn't show that I had as much oil as I did.

Investigation from bottom to top finally located oil pooled on the right (passenger) side of the oil filter canister, and then I could see where oil ran toward the back then down the engine, where it sprayed on transmission, frame and exhaust.

My speculation: the oil cooler and/or oil filter canister failed. Haven't put oil back in and run it to see if leak is apparent, but that might be the next step.
As for oil pressure not responding to increased engine rpm to not more than 2500-2800), would this be a pressure leak preventing pressure increase?

I will greatly appreciate any thoughts on the likelihood I am on the right track, before I order up a $120 part and take off the intake manifold, etc. to change out the canister/pump unit? Thanks!.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The Oil Cooler Filter Housing is very prone to cracking. Who changed your oil last?? Are you under warranty???

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I finished a couple hundred mile trip yesterday, and when I stopped, oil was dripping off my 2019 JLU Sahara (3.6 engine, auto trans). The volume of oil raised concerns that I had run it low, and the dipstick showed low but not out of oil. There had been no engine warning light or other indication of a problem, on the trip or on re-start. On re-start, oil presure was 30--35, and didn't really respond to engine RPM.
Drained the oil-- most all of the oil was there, so its not clear why the dipstick didn't show that I had as much oil as I did.

Investigation from bottom to top finally located oil pooled on the right (passenger) side of the oil filter canister, and then I could see where oil ran toward the back then down the engine, where it sprayed on transmission, frame and exhaust.

My speculation: the oil cooler and/or oil filter canister failed. Haven't put oil back in and run it to see if leak is apparent, but that might be the next step.
As for oil pressure not responding to increased engine rpm to not more than 2500-2800), would this be a pressure leak preventing pressure increase?

I will greatly appreciate any thoughts on the likelihood I am on the right track, before I order up a $120 part and take off the intake manifold, etc. to change out the canister/pump unit? Thanks!.
Who changed the oil, last? I managed to make the same mess you’re describing, once: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-filter-o-ring-placement-matters.34840/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-filter-o-ring-placement-matters.34840/post-788826

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
With those plastic threads and that cap, if your not using a torque wrench, your blind. Those threads can grip and you can over do it or under do it easily.

Noticed I used second person. Substitute third if a dealer is putting 6 in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Input:  Sudden Oil Leak - top of engine IMG_0162.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The Oil Cooler Filter Housing is very prone to cracking. Who changed your oil last?? Are you under warranty???

This or possibly the oil filter housing cap is cracked..

Sponsored

OP
OP

03RMK800

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks for the comments. I will look at the cap again, before digging in deeper looking for a leak in the base or canister. I didn't have obvious oil around the cap area. Just the pool of oil at the base of the canister.

I did the oil change, and torqued the filter nut to 16 (not even 18) ft-lbs. First time I ever torqued a filter. I thought I was doing it right and wouldn't have an issue. Surprised me.

I haven't started looking for warranty-- I did all my oil changes, and I am certain they will blame the mechanic and/or his torque wrench. With an 80 mile trip to the dealer, and paying for their time to tell me its not covered, I think I am just going to take care of it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Be sure to put a light coat of oil on those plastic threads, the cap will want to bind if it's dry. Good luck w/ the repair, hopefully it's simple for you!

And FWIW the oil pressure will stay steady (around 30 psi)up to about 3000 rpm, then start to climb.

OP
OP

03RMK800

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hello, After careful inspection, I finally spotted the issue-- it was the o-ring out of place. Put it back together (oil oring and threads, then 16 ft-lbs twist) and washed the hello out of things. So far, so good. Again, thanks to all for the comments.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hello, After careful inspection, I finally spotted the issue-- it was the o-ring out of place. Put it back together (oil oring and threads, then 16 ft-lbs twist) and washed the hello out of things. So far, so good. Again, thanks to all for the comments.
Yay, glad it was simple!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I feel like a few things need to be pointed out.
The full range of the dipstick from Min to Max is about a quart.
The oil pump is electronically controlled and pressure will not vary with rpm until 3000 rpm, where the pump shifts to stage 2 pressure should come up to about 75.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Talk about dodging a bullet. This is all good news.