Sponsored

Need help with winch installation

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi Folks,

I went through bunch of posts and videos and installed my winch perfectly at first (factory steel bumper, warn zeon 12s). I was installing my skid plate back, and went into a doubt if 5/8 bolts are support bolts or frame bolts (they were into frame). So, like an idiot, I tried to toque one them to 66 ft/lbs instead of 15 (like rest) and broke it. Now, not sure how to remove that and put a new one instead. Can anyone help me with this?

Another issue I have is; for bumper, I was able to torque 7 out of 8 nut to 66 ft/lbs perfectly. For the nut#8, I can't even put the socket on that thing, winch's logo on side is pushing the socket away and can't align it at all. Does anyone know how I can tighten that one up (It is the left top on inner side).

Finally, When I try to put skid plate back on, frame screw holds don't align, everything else does.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Now, not sure how to remove that and put a new one instead
There are several ways to remove a broken bolt. One way to do it if it is broken off at or below the mating surface is using easy-outs or Screw Extractors. You drill the appropriate size hole in the center of the broken bolt and then screw the extractor in. The spiral on them is in the opposite direction of standard threads, so as you are screwing it in counter-clockwise it gets tightened in to the drilled hole. Once it is tight enough it will hopefully cause the bolt to back out. Be careful not to use too much force or you can break off the screw extractor and it being hardened, you won't be able to drill a hole in it to get it out.

What they look like:
https://www.amazon.com/Elitexion-Screw-Extractor-Remover-Set/dp/B07C5C6WKB/ref=asc_df_B07C5C6WKB

I can't help on the other questions since I haven't installed the factory metal bumper on my JLUR yet because I'm waiting on some parts. Although I think the skid plate bolt holes not lining up might be because the winch plate thickness pushing the bumper out and so the skid plate is also moved out, so the bolt holes will have to be elongated to allow them to line up again.

OP
OP

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks a lot for your response, after some research I decided not to take anymore risk and took it to the dealer. They replaced the bold installed the skid plate for me
Sponsored