Sponsored

Need Help with the Maximus-3 Roof Rack Install

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
For those of you who installed the Maximus-3 Roof Rack yourself, I need some help.

The part I am stuck with are the Front Brackets. I didn't completely remove the sound bar, but the trims are loose. Yet I don't have a clue where it's suppose to go

As for the GPS antenna, is that for the XM radio only, or it's for the Navigation GPS as well? I am asking, because I don't mind not to relocate the GPS Antenna if it's not essential for the the Navigation to work.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Help me please Handyman Experts.

I'll start with this. The front bracket is so tight fit it's very hard to access with any tools, so it's nearly impossible to take the bolt in and out if I ever want to remove my hard top. Apparently, the bolt size is the same as the bolt use for hardtop, so I temporary replaces with quick release hardtop bolt M8x1.25 which is a little too long. With that being said , anyone know if a 8mm PIN can go through a thread hole that's for a M8 bolt? I want to try just put a Pin through the thread hole as a quick release.

As for my previous question. Turn out the GPS Antenna is for the XM Radio, and my navigation still works without it. So I didn't bother relocate it. (I don't use it anyway).

At last, this install took me close to 24hrs of hard work.

Thanks everyone!!!

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Si i just completed my install of it last night. The front brackets are mounted where the side plastic trim pieces go. There's a good picture in the directions included with Maximus but if you need i can send you additional pictures. It may help if you loosen the adjustment screws on the bracket so that you can fit it to match your drilled holes. With that said if you are not relocating your antennae you should be ok without removing your sound bar. I left my antennae in the same spot also, i wont be using XM much, but i didn't realize that its the only reason you have to remove the sound bar.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing I came up with for the front bracket bolts (the 2 that connect the 2 brackets together) is a long ball end Allen key socket and a long extension. You can access the bolt heads "easily" that way. Picture is from install last year

Screenshot_20190611-101702_Gallery.jpg

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
FWIW - I drilled a hole with a small hole saw bit through the soundbar on both sides directly under the bolt for the front brackets. Now instead of trying to disconnect the two bolts where the brackets join, I leave those connected and just remove the single bolt that connects to the cross bar. Way easier to remove/reinstall now when I take the top off.

Honestly, I think there is a major opportunity to improve the design to make the brackets "bolt-less" where they connect. No reason the brackets that connect to the jeep couldn't have a cradle/retainer design so the top brackets just sit on top of them. I envision an overlapping/opposing bent tab kind of joint that would provide both vertical strength as well as locking forward/backward/lateral movement. Attn: @Maximus-3

Last edited:
OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I have completed my Maximus-3 Rhino rack install, and I want to share some tip and experience. (I have the short rack)

1> Putting together the pioneer rack itself is not difficult, but time consuming, nothing too custom other than need to drill 2 additional holes.

2> Correct Measurement is critical for the 8 holes which you need to drill on the hardtop. The drilling itself is quite easy. I used a relative small drill bit to drill the pilot hole, then move up to larger size in small increment until 3/8" size that's needed.

3> As for the Maximus-3 bracket. You need to following the instructions and remove numbers of trims, and it's very important that to remove the sound bar, and I you want to leave it off until you are done with everything else.

4> The rack comes with M8x1.25mm bolt, but because I still plan to take my hardtop off frequently, I replaced them with my own M8x1.25 which I think is less likely to strip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQXK3XP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5> Once you put everything put back together, there are barely any room to fit regular tools to access to the front bracket bolts. My Milwaukee M12 3/8 Cordless Ratchet can reach it, that's what I would use to tighten the bolts with a 13mm magnet socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKBAG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but the ratchet doesn't always have the power get it loose. So, I purchase this Long Flex-Head Ratchet
which work very well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F512HN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6> I relocate the GPS in the end, it was not needed for the Navigation to work, but it was needed to view the traffic flow on the Nav.

The rack is heavy enough that when combined with the hardtop, my Top Lift Pro with my weight on the handle can barely lift it up (I am 210 lbs), but it still works. Once the top is lifted, it's top would be slightly front heavy, but I am able to keep it from tipping forward by adding some bungee cords,

At last I also purchase this Air Leveling Kit & Alignment Tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07751F8Y3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would be useful when you try to align the bracket bracket/holes. I also use them to help mount my RTT using YouTuber Sketchy's method :

Since I had to do everything myself with very little help from my 8 & 12 yrs old. Manage to put the RTT up on my rack by roll it on the of a chair, then roll it on my top lift pro, then lift it up slightly higher the the rack, then slide it forward.

Hope that helps!

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: