Sponsored

Need HELP with out of state purchase.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I live in PA and bought 2 jeeps from Flemington Jeep in NJ. They give you a temp tag and once I received the registration I have to get it inspected in PA. If you are in NJ call them and negotiate with them on the phone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrispyJL

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Iā€™m in NJ and I bought from Koons in VA at 5% below invoice. Koons collected NJ sales tax rather than VA tax and if Iā€˜m remembering correctly handled everything for the NJ registration. Koons gave me a VA temp tag and sent me another when it was close to expiring while I was waiting on my NJ plates. The only thing I had to do was go to to the NJMVC to get the 1 year VA inspection sticker replaced with the NJ five year sticker.
Koons is one I have heard of, I haven't given them a call yet to talk. Remember your sales person?

roaddawg

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Check New Hampshire. No.sales tax and often great auto deals. In AZ, check Luke Jeep in phoenix. Best price around and they will deal.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

picked my JLU up from NV, they hit me with extra tax fees and i had to smog check a brand new jeep with 100 miles on it........ California sucks monkey nuts like that though

Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I have bought a few vehicles out of state and am in the military so I have to figure out registration procedures every three years.

I actually bought my JLU while at school in Oklahoma. I am stationed in Indiana.

All I have ever had to do is have the selling dealer not charge taxes (most states itā€™s only where you register it) and have them mail the title to me. The ticket here is you need to pay taxes when you register.

The dealer I bought the JL from was willing to roll taxes into the loan and cut me a check on the spot. Youjust got to talk to the dealer.

Take a look at the Jersey DMV site. Most states have a FAQ section and this is almost always there.
This is probably most common and was my experience with buying new in Oregon, registering in Washington, then registering in South Dakota. Oregon has no sales tax, so you either pay the tax based on Washington wrapped into loan, or pay the tax when you register in Washington. Either way you need to prove in the state you register that you paid the required taxes.

When I registered in SD, they simply needed to see that I paid sales tax when I purchased, no use tax bringing it in there.

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
I live in NY and just bought mine in Maryland from Criswell - they give me temp Maryland plates and are mailing me NY plates. I paid NY taxes (but check your state tax rules). They have discounts for forum members.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid

Fast4by

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2dr
I live in NJ and had a similar experience. Not to mention the Dealer doc fees in NJ are insane because there is no limit to what they can ask for.
We wound up getting ours at Suresky CJR just across the border in NY. Super great to work with, deep discount, upfront pricing, no smoke or mirrors. And NY has a flat fixed doc fee of $75 !!
They took care of All the NJDMV and NJ taxes too.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Each state is different. Dealers also handle things differently. I live in NV and have bought my last 3 vehicles out of state. I bought a car from a dealer in Arkansas. They did not charge me sales tax or registration. They sent me the title, I registered and paid taxes here at my local DMV and then sent the title to the bank.

Bought the JLU in AZ. They charged me taxes but did not pay my registration. When I got here, I had to pay the difference in tax from what I did pay to what I would have paid if I had bought locally and also had to pay registration.

I've had other states (Louisiana) not acknowledge sale tax paid in another state (VA) and make me pay it again....Even though I had owned the vehicle for years.

Sponsored

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
Each state is different. Dealers also handle things differently. I live in NV and have bought my last 3 vehicles out of state. I bought a car from a dealer in Arkansas. They did not charge me sales tax or registration. They sent me the title, I registered and paid taxes here at my local DMV and then sent the title to the bank.

Bought the JLU in AZ. They charged me taxes but did not pay my registration. When I got here, I had to pay the difference in tax from what I did pay to what I would have paid if I had bought locally and also had to pay registration.

I've had other states (Louisiana) not acknowledge sale tax paid in another state (VA) and make me pay it again....Even though I had owned the vehicle for years.
I live in Michigan ordered mine from Criswell couldnā€™t be happier contact them they can answer all your questions I received 8% percent below invoice

CBCEEDF2-4BAB-49D7-B0DC-FA1D540CCFC9.jpeg

Radar25

First Name
Reinaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
I live in NJ and had a similar experience. Not to mention the Dealer doc fees in NJ are insane because there is no limit to what they can ask for.
We wound up getting ours at Suresky CJR just across the border in NY. Super great to work with, deep discount, upfront pricing, no smoke or mirrors. And NY has a flat fixed doc fee of $75 !!
They took care of All the NJDMV and NJ taxes too.
How much under invoice ?

Fast4by

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2dr
How much under invoice ?
I dont remember exactly... but was better than any other dealer I inquired. Worth looking into them.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Best solution would be to move.
Your welcome.

WaX

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I live in Michigan ordered mine from Criswell couldnā€™t be happier contact them they can answer all your questions I received 8% percent below invoice

Jeep Wrangler JL Need HELP with out of state purchase. CBCEEDF2-4BAB-49D7-B0DC-FA1D540CCFC9
Criswell did shit for me wouldn't take a deposit over the phone...and dragged their feet to increase the price........
Sponsored