Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Hey everyone,
My lease is up in september in my 2018 JLU Punkn Sport S
The buyout is 26,970 i think, I have to double check
While I do love it, I would rather a 2dr.
Priced a 2dr sport auto/2.0 tint, tow and AC packages, and every NJ dealer will only take $500 off MSRP.
I am not paying 35k for a 2dr wrangler with roll up windows you insane clowns. 5000 down $638 a month, I almost pissed myself laughing, I have excellent credit jack

If I buy out of state, what are the fees? can the dealer comunicate with NJ dmv? how does it work, I need to save as much as possible on this.
If I can get 5,6, or even 7% off invoice in NV, AZ, or wherever the best deals are I will gladly make it a jeep road trip.
Can anyone point me to an awesome dealer that will give me 5% or better off invoice on this order?
snazberry ext, tan int, 2dr sport, ac, tint and tow packages.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I paid $37,500 for my two door Rubicon from Laura just west of St Louis. Because I use my own financing, I chose the option of doing my title and registration in my home state of Florida. I will get a MSO and deal with it myself, so no extra fees other then what my state charges.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
CAUTION:
I did an out of state purchase (Live in MI and bought in IL). I went to Napleton's in Arlington Heights (suburb of Chicago). I knew it was a bad idea to start due to dealing with Chicago, but I couldn't beat the price.
1) NEVER, NEVER deal with Napleton's. They use old school methods and were one of the absolute worst consumer experiences I've ever had
2) It took 3mos to get the title from them over to MI. Luckily, we were in the middle of Covid and got a pass when pulled over for expired temp tags. It took an e-mail to their president to get it squared away.

Unfortunately, we were at their mercy, and not a lot we could do about it. I was 1 week away from getting a lawyer involved.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I paid $37,500 for my two door Rubicon from Laura just west of St Louis. Because I use my own financing, I chose the option of doing my title and registration in my home state of Florida. I will get a MSO and deal with it myself, so no extra fees other then what my state charges.
I'm curious, did Missouri give you a temp tag to drive to Florida with? I do know that swapping a tag onto a vehicle without registering it is a big "no-no" in Florida. I've thought of crossing into Georgia looking for a deal, but didn't want to deal with the tag issues.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I'm curious, did Missouri give you a temp tag to drive to Florida with? I do know that swapping a tag onto a vehicle without registering it is a big "no-no" in Florida. I've thought of crossing into Georgia looking for a deal, but didn't want to deal with the tag issues.
I was giving a 30 day temporary tag from Missouri.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Super cool, I'm sure that is what Georgia would probably do as well. Must have been a fun drive back.
I actually bought it while on the road at work, drove it around for a bit chasing helicopters and then my parents towed it back from Louisiana to their home about a week ago. I only put 2,000 miles on it in a couple of weeks. Temp tag expires tomorrow and will have to do paperwork when I get home, not sure when that will be...

Actually to think about it, I still haven't received the MSO from the dealer and need it to get the title. So I need to call them and get onto them about that.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I move every 18-24 months, but register everything in my home (domicile) state. Here’s an amateur version of things to consider:

1) you may pay taxes twice. Check with your home state to see if they have a “use tax” or require you to pay home state taxes upon registering it when you bring it back.
2) Most dealers are required to register it in the state it is purchased in. Every state deals with titles differently. In some, you get a title with a lien on it. In others, the bank gets the title and you get nothing. You may have to wait a few weeks and ask the bank to re-title the vehicle in your home state.
2.5) not all states accept temporary tags for re-registering. If you didn’t get the title, you may have to wait for permanent tags from the state of purchase.
3) different states have different insurance requirements. Some demand proof of insurance for the state-of-purchase before letting you drive away. If you already have insurance on other vehicles, your existing company may not allow you to have multiple state policies. That means you need a new insurance company/bill until you register at home. Ask your dealer what they require, and your insurance company what they can do to get you off the lot.
4) you probably paid for a year of registration in the state-of-purchase. Not all states refund you the pro-rate when you cancel. Most states also require you to register within a period of time (45-60 days) of bringing the vehicle home, so you probably aren’t supposed to use the state-of-purchase plates beyond getting it home.
5) different states handle trades differently for tax purposes. A great deal might not be so great once we get to out-the-door numbers.

Someone will say that the cops would never bother you. They’re right until you get impounded. It might not even be your fault, like an accident.
Someone will say the dealer would never require these things. They’re right until you try to drive away and they say you can’t. Ask first.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My experience has all been with dealers in states adjacent to where I live. Bought several vehicles and at least 6 motorcycles that way with no issues. In every case they’ve called my county of residence, gotten the tax information from them and I paid taxes for where I live only. Got a temp tag until the state of residence plates arrive. No hassles. With that said, different states who don’t routinely have sales from one another “may” be a real issue - you might wind up paying double taxes, etc. I’d check (by phone) and get the details before heading out to buy...

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I move every 18-24 months, but register everything in my home (domicile) state. Here’s an amateur version of things to consider:

1) you may pay taxes twice. Check with your home state to see if they have a “use tax” or require you to pay home state taxes upon registering it when you bring it back.
Good thought about the taxes, I never thought that your home state may double tax you on the purchase.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hey everyone,
My lease is up in september in my 2018 JLU Punkn Sport S
The buyout is 26,970 i think, I have to double check
While I do love it, I would rather a 2dr.

If I buy out of state, what are the fees? can the dealer comunicate with NJ dmv? how does it work, I need to save as much as possible on this. Can anyone point me to an awesome dealer that will give me 5% or better off invoice on this order?
My selling dealer gave me 5% off invoice as a matter of policy. They do so while acknowledging that rebates and incentives have been wholly absent for Wranglers. I'll PM you the information.

As for fees and the intricacies of interstate vehicle purchases, your questions really need to be directed to the NJ DMV.

I've actually purchased out of state vehicles myself, including one coming from the Garden State, but my experience & knowledge of the transaction concerns paperwork, etc. inbound to PA. That's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Good thought about the taxes, I never thought that your home state may double tax you on the purchase.
I think it is most common for states with neighbors that don’t have sales tax. To dissuade you from making large purchases across the border. Or states with a “wealth” tax on vehicles over a certain MSRP.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I have bought a few vehicles out of state and am in the military so I have to figure out registration procedures every three years.

I actually bought my JLU while at school in Oklahoma. I am stationed in Indiana.

All I have ever had to do is have the selling dealer not charge taxes (most states it’s only where you register it) and have them mail the title to me. The ticket here is you need to pay taxes when you register.

The dealer I bought the JL from was willing to roll taxes into the loan and cut me a check on the spot. Youjust got to talk to the dealer.

Take a look at the Jersey DMV site. Most states have a FAQ section and this is almost always there.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My experience has all been with dealers in states adjacent to where I live. Bought several vehicles and at least 6 motorcycles that way with no issues. In every case they’ve called my county of residence, gotten the tax information from them and I paid taxes for where I live only. Got a temp tag until the state of residence plates arrive. No hassles. With that said, different states who don’t routinely have sales from one another “may” be a real issue - you might wind up paying double taxes, etc. I’d check (by phone) and get the details before heading out to buy...
I researched buying a vehicle in OK and registering it in TX and it would have worked as you described. However other combinations of states could be a problem. This means that you will have to ask a lot of questions in advance.

As for dealing with an out of state dealer, there can be problems that you won't discover until you arrive. It might be safe enough to insist on a final price in writing including all fees and you state that you will bring a check in that exact amount, but dealers are good at thinking up new tricks. What I discovered is that internet advertised prices might mean absolutely nothing. If you pick out a car at a dealer you can do research on that dealer to see if they play games, research such as reading reviews on various online sites. I found numerous dealers with prices that sounded too good and in researching I found that they added $2k worth of stuff such as nitrogen in the tires and wouldn't deal below that. Other dealers seemed to give me the exact price including the dealer where I bought.

Buffalo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m in NJ and I bought from Koons in VA at 5% below invoice. Koons collected NJ sales tax rather than VA tax and if I‘m remembering correctly handled everything for the NJ registration. Koons gave me a VA temp tag and sent me another when it was close to expiring while I was waiting on my NJ plates. The only thing I had to do was go to to the NJMVC to get the 1 year VA inspection sticker replaced with the NJ five year sticker.
Sponsored