Sponsored

Need help with my order. Started with a Rubicon, I think I want a sport now..

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Haven’t submitted my order yet, but I’m getting closer to doing so. I just can’t make up my mind.

For reference A few friends of mine do the Rubicon, dusy ershim, and a few others once a year. In between we do trails in bigbear, (Gold mountain, John Bull, etc) so all rock crawling type of trails

-Originally I wanted a Rubicon, but man the price tag is really on the back of my mind. It’s one of those things I can afford but not sure if I should?
-then thought the Willy’s was Perfect until I realized the only thing I’d leave alone will be the headlights. It’ll get lifted, tires, etc.
-Finally, the sport S with the LSD option would probably make more sense for me since I’ll get rid of almost everything the Willy’s has and it is significantly cheaper than a rubicon. +/-10k?

I do want the rubicon, but a friend of mine has done many trails such as the rubicon, on a basic sport S on 37s. Im always impressed with how capable it is. So It got me thinking, maybe I should get a Sport S, use the $10k savings for a lift, tires, and add one rear locker with 4.56 gears.

Mods would be:
-Metal Cloak 2.5 game changer
-35s/37s
-4.56 gears
-Rear Locker.

Opinions? I’m currently leaning to the Sport S+ mods.
Sponsored

badgerridge719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I agree with your assessment. Blows my mind the number of guys who buy Rubicon's and Mojave's and immediately throw out all the stuff that makes it that trim level. Sure you get some cash back by selling the wheels and maybe the suspension on local marketplace but you're still welll over the cost of a Sport + aftermarket gear.

I ordered a Gladiator Sport (base bare bones model, like with crank windows and doors). That way I can modify the vehicle to my liking. Tbh the only thing I would miss out on would be lockers but I have never used those on previous vehicles anyway and those can be added (ARB makes a good one).

OP
OP
Jeepn’

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree with your assessment. Blows my mind the number of guys who buy Rubicon's and Mojave's and immediately throw out all the stuff that makes it that trim level. Sure you get some cash back by selling the wheels and maybe the suspension on local marketplace but you're still welll over the cost of a Sport + aftermarket gear.

I ordered a Gladiator Sport (base bare bones model, like with crank windows and doors). That way I can modify the vehicle to my liking. Tbh the only thing I would miss out on would be lockers but I have never used those on previous vehicles anyway and those can be added (ARB makes a good one).
It was really my friends Jeep that got me thinking. Even on open diffs, his sport S was way more capable than my Tacoma with a rear locker. Once he got 37s I stopped taking the taco out on trips lol. Even then, he has so much suspension travel that he rarely needs lockers.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
If you are going to tear it down in order to build it up then I agree with your assessment.

The only huge difference I see with the Rubi vs. the Sport is the differentials and axles. Upgrading the Sport units means replacement eventually given your stated use. I don't know that this would not be the case with the Rubi axles but it's possible.

OP
OP
Jeepn’

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you are going to tear it down in order to build it up then I agree with your assessment.

The only huge difference I see with the Rubi vs. the Sport is the differentials and axles. Upgrading the Sport units means replacement eventually given your stated use. I don't know that this would not be the case with the Rubi axles but it's possible.
Yeah, the axles and transfer case are the two main things. But I think if I keep the front diff open and only add a rear locker, it should suffice. At least that’s what I’m currently leaning towards.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I like the higher fenders, hood aesthetics, proximity keyless entry, and the wheels are okay but I might change later. I created a Sahara with all my options and it was about 3500 less but no hood or fenders and I would absolutely change those wheels...so I think the Rubi would cost me less when it came to mods. I will not budge on the proximity keyless, I am a spoiled child and I am okay with it! I'm also pretty partial to painted top and fenders, better surface to linex when the paint fades or is damaged.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Haven’t submitted my order yet, but I’m getting closer to doing so. I just can’t make up my mind.

For reference A few friends of mine do the Rubicon, dusy ershim, and a few others once a year. In between we do trails in bigbear, (Gold mountain, John Bull, etc) so all rock crawling type of trails

-Originally I wanted a Rubicon, but man the price tag is really on the back of my mind. It’s one of those things I can afford but not sure if I should?
-then thought the Willy’s was Perfect until I realized the only thing I’d leave alone will be the headlights. It’ll get lifted, tires, etc.
-Finally, the sport S with the LSD option would probably make more sense for me since I’ll get rid of almost everything the Willy’s has and it is significantly cheaper than a rubicon. +/-10k?

I do want the rubicon, but a friend of mine has done many trails such as the rubicon, on a basic sport S on 37s. Im always impressed with how capable it is. So It got me thinking, maybe I should get a Sport S, use the $10k savings for a lift, tires, and add one rear locker with 4.56 gears.

Mods would be:
-Metal Cloak 2.5 game changer
-35s/37s
-4.56 gears
-Rear Locker.

Opinions? I’m currently leaning to the Sport S+ mods.
Would you still be clearing 37's with stock non-Rubicon fenders with 2.5" of lift?

Also, if you are running 35's or light 37's, you will not need to change from the 4.10 gearing on the rubicon. So depending on your use case, the math on your Sport S build might actually make you spend more money than buying the Rubicon.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepn’

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My opinion is, if you're building on 35's the sport is sufficient, if you're building on 37's get the rubi
You think 37s would be an issue, even with open diffs? Rear is a D44 with the LSD option.
I like the higher fenders, hood aesthetics, proximity keyless entry, and the wheels are okay but I might change later. I created a Sahara with all my options and it was about 3500 less but no hood or fenders and I would absolutely change those wheels...so I think the Rubi would cost me less when it came to mods. I will not budge on the proximity keyless, I am a spoiled child and I am okay with it! I'm also pretty partial to painted top and fenders, better surface to linex when the paint fades or is damaged.
It’s funny you mention the proximity sensors, I’ve had it in my last 3 vehicles. It’s been my favorite thing on all of them lol.
Would you still be clearing 37's with stock non-Rubicon fenders with 2.5" of lift?

Also, if you are running 35's or light 37's, you will not need to change from the 4.10 gearing on the rubicon. So depending on your use case, the math on your Sport S build might actually make you spend more money than buying the Rubicon.
If i get the sport I’ll change out the fenders to the rugged ridge high clearance fenders. I think even on the rubicon I’d get the fenders. But yeah, I wouldn’t need to re-gear at 4.10.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think 37s would be an issue, even with open diffs? Rear is a D44 with the LSD option.

It’s funny you mention the proximity sensors, I’ve had it in my last 3 vehicles. It’s been my favorite thing on all of them lol.

If i get the sport I’ll change out the fenders to the rugged ridge high clearance fenders. I think even on the rubicon I’d get the fenders. But yeah, I wouldn’t need to re-gear at 4.10.
Why would you get fenders on a Rubicon? Rugged Ridge is the same as shittybuilt.

Also on 37's in a MT, for a Sport S I could see the front axle going.

OP
OP
Jeepn’

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why would you get fenders on a Rubicon? Rugged Ridge is the same as shittybuilt.

Also on 37's in a MT, for a Sport S I could see the front axle going.
Dam, I didn’t realize the quality was crap. I like how the fender chop Looks with the LED plus the extra clearance. The sport would need completely new fenders.

I find the axle debate interesting, as I’ve said my buddy has a sport on 37s. Done the rubicon, dusy, and others. So far no issues, but probably a matter of time? I come from the Toyota world so I don’t know how strong that d30 really is lol.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dam, I didn’t realize the quality was crap. I like how the fender chop Looks with the LED plus the extra clearance. The sport would need completely new fenders.

I find the axle debate interesting, as I’ve said my buddy has a sport on 37s. Done the rubicon, dusy, and others. So far no issues, but probably a matter of time? I come from the Toyota world so I don’t know how strong that d30 really is lol.
I mean, that's been my experience with their products. I'm sure it varies from product line to product line. Don't take my word for it, but feel free to Google or have others that have actually bought their products chime in.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

As far as the D30 is concerned, it's not a guarantee you will have issues, but I personally broke a D44 (R&P went, bent two shafts) in a JK on a pretty light 37 after 3 years of rock crawling. I'd imagine a D30 would have gone sooner.

Also the Rubicon gives you another 1.5" of width on the axles, which is nice when picking wheels/tires as far as backspacing is concerned.
Sponsored