Sponsored

Need help with my order. Started with a Rubicon, I think I want a sport now..

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you are going to tear it down in order to build it up then I agree with your assessment.

The only huge difference I see with the Rubi vs. the Sport is the differentials and axles. Upgrading the Sport units means replacement eventually given your stated use. I don't know that this would not be the case with the Rubi axles but it's possible.
Not if you get a diesel Sport. Same axles as the Rubi. And about 200 more torques!
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Sport S with LSD (m220) is a good starting point value. That's what I set off to get, but found a freedom with LSD (no different hardware wise except comes with rubi wheels and partial leather).

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Dam, I didnā€™t realize the quality was crap. I like how the fender chop Looks with the LED plus the extra clearance. The sport would need completely new fenders.

I find the axle debate interesting, as Iā€™ve said my buddy has a sport on 37s. Done the rubicon, dusy, and others. So far no issues, but probably a matter of time? I come from the Toyota world so I donā€™t know how strong that d30 really is lol.
I guess another question would be - are you running all terrains or mud terrains in a 35 or 37? Are you set on that decision?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I went from a Sport JK to Rubicon JL. I had no issues running 35's and some decently difficult trails on that, but the other stuff the Rubicon offers made it more appealing to me. I did not have to worry about changing gears or fenders. The new 8 speed trans on the 4.10 gears is plenty for me and way better than my JK w/4.56 gearing. One thing I wanted was the electronic sway bar disconnect so don't have to worry about getting out. Plus lockers. If you want to change everything out then get a Sport, but if you want something ready to go and minor changes get the Rubicon.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You think 37s would be an issue, even with open diffs? Rear is a D44 with the LSD option.

Itā€™s funny you mention the proximity sensors, Iā€™ve had it in my last 3 vehicles. Itā€™s been my favorite thing on all of them lol.

If i get the sport Iā€™ll change out the fenders to the rugged ridge high clearance fenders. I think even on the rubicon Iā€™d get the fenders. But yeah, I wouldnā€™t need to re-gear at 4.10.
I just made the jump from a similar sport. I had the 6MT with LSD and the D44 in the rear. I was on 35's and was considering upgrading the axles to push 37+, but ended up just trading in as the used market was through the roof at the time. 37's are a big jump from 35's, I was concerned running them on the sport axles. It really comes down to your level of mechanical sympathy, how you wheel, how much you wheel, etc. I was driving out to Moab a couple times a year and wasn't ready to make the jump knowing that I needed the rig to get me home and be a daily driver when I was done playing.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
There is a lot more that comes on a Rubicon that is overlooked. It is not simply wheels, tires, suspension.

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe
Havenā€™t submitted my order yet, but Iā€™m getting closer to doing so. I just canā€™t make up my mind.

For reference A few friends of mine do the Rubicon, dusy ershim, and a few others once a year. In between we do trails in bigbear, (Gold mountain, John Bull, etc) so all rock crawling type of trails

-Originally I wanted a Rubicon, but man the price tag is really on the back of my mind. Itā€™s one of those things I can afford but not sure if I should?
-then thought the Willyā€™s was Perfect until I realized the only thing Iā€™d leave alone will be the headlights. Itā€™ll get lifted, tires, etc.
-Finally, the sport S with the LSD option would probably make more sense for me since Iā€™ll get rid of almost everything the Willyā€™s has and it is significantly cheaper than a rubicon. +/-10k?

I do want the rubicon, but a friend of mine has done many trails such as the rubicon, on a basic sport S on 37s. Im always impressed with how capable it is. So It got me thinking, maybe I should get a Sport S, use the $10k savings for a lift, tires, and add one rear locker with 4.56 gears.

Mods would be:
-Metal Cloak 2.5 game changer
-35s/37s
-4.56 gears
-Rear Locker.

Opinions? Iā€™m currently leaning to the Sport S+ mods.
I feel the Rubicon would be a better fit because of what you want to do with it and the financial aspect. It may hold value better than the Sport with the add ons, resale should be higher, and it will be a Jeep that is engineered for what you plan to do, as delivered..
Do what your gut tells you. (I would get the Rubicon if in that position), but who am I to say... šŸ˜‰

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
I feel the Rubicon would be a better fit because of what you want to do with it and the financial aspect. It may hold value better than the Sport with the add ons, resale should be higher, and it will be a Jeep that is engineered for what you plan to do, as delivered..
Do what your gut tells you. (I would get the Rubicon if in that position), but who am I to say... šŸ˜‰
Being you are replying to a post that is 14 months old, I would hope he has made a decision by now and is out enjoying his Jeep. Whatever model it is.

KevinC

OP
OP
Jeepnā€™

Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any regrets or do you feel like you made the right decision? I'm on the same fence but I'm leaning towards a Rubi as well. Congrats on yours!
I ended up waiting and ordered not too long ago so I havenā€™t taken delivery of it yet. I donā€™t regret it, I used to off road the Tacoma on my profile pic a lot. Poor thing had a ton of dents lol. So I know I'll put the lockers and transfer case to use.
Sponsored