First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I looked around for information on which oil I should be using, but I got lost in the information overload.
My Rubicon has a Dana M210 Wide Front Axle and a Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle. Both are Tru-Lok too and I'm not even sure what that really means. All factory stock axles and gears. So far no electrical faults, noises or vibrations either.

I don't tow and I don't do much off roading. Just some beach driving a couple times a year. From what I saw, differential oil can be hard to find so I may be waiting to change mine anyway. Just wanted to change it since I'm at 24K miles and going across country in mid September.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I looked around for information on which oil I should be using, but I got lost in the information overload.
My Rubicon has a Dana M210 Wide Front Axle and a Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle. Both are Tru-Lok too and I'm not even sure what that really means. All factory stock axles and gears. So far no electrical faults, noises or vibrations either.

I don't tow and I don't do much off roading. Just some beach driving a couple times a year. From what I saw, differential oil can be hard to find so I may be waiting to change mine anyway. Just wanted to change it since I'm at 24K miles and going across country in mid September.
@Carolina Jeeper

Read here for pretty much all the info a guy/gal needs in regard to what to use and how to use it, in regard to fluid changes of the JL differentials.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/

In regard to Friction Modiifier Additive and whether to use.... is one of the BIGGEST concerns (a very important concern) to most.... along with the proper weight fluid for front an rear..

Don't fret / have angst over the use of friction modifier additive and whether your JL does or does not need it...

Just be sure to use a diff fluid that has the additive already in it...

IF your JL needs the additive then you have it... IF, your JL does not need the additive it is absolutely aok and commonplace to use a fluid with additive, even if your JL does not require/need it.

Do read at the thread I mentioned earlier... you will be glad you did.... Will save you time, $ and from screwing up.. 8-)

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Carolina Jeeper

Read here for pretty much all the info a guy/gal needs in regard to what to use and how to use it, in regard to fluid changes of the JL differentials.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/differential-oil-change.47318/

In regard to Friction Modiifier Additive and whether to use.... is one of the BIGGEST concerns (a very important concern) to most.... along with the proper weight fluid for front an rear..

Don't fret / have angst over the use of friction modifier additive and whether your JL does or does not need it...

IF your JL needs the additive then you have it... IF, your JL does not need the additive it is absolutely aok and commonplace to use a fluid with additive, even if your JL does not require/need it.

Do read at the thread I mentioned earlier... you will be glad you did.... Will save you time, $ and from screwing up.. 8-)

Okay I think I found a direction to go in. Still have no real idea what a Tru-Lok is. Not sure how that branding correlates with limited slip, or other types.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Okay I think I found a direction to go in. Still have no real idea what a Tru-Lok is. Not sure how that branding correlates with limited slip, or other types.
Tru-Lok is a selectable locker.

It has 2 modes. It acts as an open differential by default. That means that the tires on either side of the axle can travel at different speeds. This is what you want for daily driving.

When you hit the switch on the dash it locks the differential 100%. That means that both tires turn at the same speed all the time. This is good off road when you have a tire that's slipping and it's keeping you from getting over an obstacle.

A more in depth explanation is here: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/lockers.html

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tru-Lok is a selectable locker.

It has 2 modes. It acts as an open differential by default. That means that the tires on either side of the axle can travel at different speeds. This is what you want for daily driving.

When you hit the switch on the dash it locks the differential 100%. That means that both tires turn at the same speed all the time. This is good off road when you have a tire that's slipping and it's keeping you from getting over an obstacle.

A more in depth explanation is here: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/lockers.html
I know how these axles lock but wasn't sure what Tru- Lok means exactly. Wasn't sure if these were also equipped with a combination of a locker and limited slip. So it looks like these are locking axle only and means they don't require gear oil with any friction modifiers.

This new terminology doesn't really make it clear like the old terminology does.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know how these axles lock but wasn't sure what Tru- Lok means exactly. Wasn't sure if these were also equipped with a combination of a locker and limited slip. So it looks like these are locking axle only and means they don't require gear oil with any friction modifiers.

This new terminology doesn't really make it clear like the old terminology does.
@Carolina Jeeper

I appreciate/understand your trying to learn the terminolgy... to figure out how things work/what you have on your JL... I'm like you in that respect...

But as mentioned earlier.....

if your JL/JLU does not require the additive, it will not hurt / will not be a negative thing if you use a product with friction modifier in it.

And keep in mind that most everyone will tell you that using Mopar branded fluids makes little sense... $ foolish and more,,

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think used the wrong stuff to my rear. 75w-140 instead of 75w-85 on a Rubicon. Trying to convert D44 to M whatever when I’m the second owner got me lost. But then I read the heavier stuff is recommended for towing and lots of people run it without issues. I figure it’s probably good for my oversized tires. Or I’ll break my diff and justify Currie 60’s, lol.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think used the wrong stuff to my rear. 75w-140 instead of 75w-85 on a Rubicon. Trying to convert D44 to M whatever when I’m the second owner got me lost. But then I read the heavier stuff is recommended for towing and lots of people run it without issues. I figure it’s probably good for my oversized tires. Or I’ll break my diff and justify Currie 60’s, lol.
@Some Random Guy

No harm using the heavier in rear or front at that matter... You may see a slight slight drop in miles per gallon (gas mileage) and that is it...

NOW, if you used a lighter weight fluid in either diff then you should be concerned..

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I was in the same boat when I ordered my Rubicon and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what the difference was between limited slip and “tru lok.” I’m still in that boat. 😂

Great info presented here by everyone that I’ll be reading further.

Thanks for posting this as it’s been on my mind as well!

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was in the same boat when I ordered my Rubicon and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what the difference was between limited slip and “tru lok.” I’m still in that boat. 😂

Great info presented here by everyone that I’ll be reading further.

Thanks for posting this as it’s been on my mind as well!
Yes the information given here is excellent and much appreciated! These new axle terms just threw me off enough that I'm not certain what they actually are and I've been working on vehicles for 40 years.

Sponsored

Aloicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Trac-loc is a limited slip
Tru-loc is an electronic locker

Jeep has the stupidest naming convention for these IMO

I used the valvoline flex fill synth 75w-140 rear and 75w-90 front in my JLR w/ tru-loc, was very impressed with the ease to fill with those flex fill containers. I always hated the stupid tall bottles and terrible pumping contraptions that never work right.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes the information given here is excellent and much appreciated! These new axle terms just threw me off enough that I'm not certain what they actually are and I've been working on vehicles for 40 years.
Tru-lok is just the brand specific name for the e-lockers in the rubicon.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

There are only a couple of cases where you specifically do not want friction modifier.

The Eaton TrueTrac specifically says not to use friction modifier because it affects the grears and changes the torque bias.

For the Rubicon lockers, its fine to have it in there but it doesn't need it.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Trac-loc is a limited slip
Tru-loc is an electronic locker

Jeep has the stupidest naming convention for these IMO
On my ‘17 Renegade I was super confused for awhile as the transfer case was called the “power take off” or some crazy thing like that.

😂

Aloicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
On my ‘17 Renegade I was super confused for awhile as the transfer case was called the “power take off” or some crazy thing like that.

😂
Im not surprised. I think the open carrier also has some stupid name too but I cant remember it off the top of my head.
Sponsored