Sponsored

Need help with a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited spacer lift.

Cadster

First Name
Cadster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
I just recently acquired my 7th Wrangler (1997 TJ, 1997 TJ, 2000 TJ, 2007 JK, 2007 JK Unlimited, and 2014 JK Unlimited). All but the very first Wrangler have run on TeraFlex suspension lifts. The most recent Jeep was a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited riding a full blown TeraFlex suspension lift with upper and lower control arms, Fox reservoir shocks, running 38” Toyo MT’s, etc. My kids have gotten old enough to drive and they want to start driving Jeeps. My 2014 was too much for 15-16 year old drivers (regardless of how sorted the suspension is, driving 38’s is requires extra focus and attention). In any case, I swapped my 2014 for a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. I didn’t want to go crazy on a build, but I do want to change the stance. I already put Cooper STT 315’s on the factory 17’ wheels. The next step is a basic spacer lift. I have always done TeraFlex, so my plan is to do their spacer lift (2” front and 1.5” rear). I already purchased the Mopar LCA to accomplish the correct factory alignment.

So, after all that, my questions are: what should I do regarding shocks? In the near term, this will be a Mall Crawler. After the kids are gone, I will redo the build. Can I run the factory Ruby shocks? Should I even consider running those shocks? Should I run a different shock? I am targeting road comfort and ease of use. I want it to drive as close to factory as possible. Thanks a ton for your assistance.
Sponsored

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
If your budget is open, why not do Fox shocks again?

If you dont have the budget for shocks, you could do shock extensions. Teraflex makes those I believe specifically for their spacer lifts.

OP
OP

Cadster

First Name
Cadster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
If your budget is open, why not do Fox shocks again?

If you dont have the budget for shocks, you could do shock extensions. Teraflex makes those I believe specifically for their spacer lifts.
I’m happy to buy replacement shocks. Would those be the best option?

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I just recently acquired my 7th Wrangler (1997 TJ, 1997 TJ, 2000 TJ, 2007 JK, 2007 JK Unlimited, and 2014 JK Unlimited). All but the very first Wrangler have run on TeraFlex suspension lifts. The most recent Jeep was a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited riding a full blown TeraFlex suspension lift with upper and lower control arms, Fox reservoir shocks, running 38” Toyo MT’s, etc. My kids have gotten old enough to drive and they want to start driving Jeeps. My 2014 was too much for 15-16 year old drivers (regardless of how sorted the suspension is, driving 38’s is requires extra focus and attention). In any case, I swapped my 2014 for a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. I didn’t want to go crazy on a build, but I do want to change the stance. I already put Cooper STT 315’s on the factory 17’ wheels. The next step is a basic spacer lift. I have always done TeraFlex, so my plan is to do their spacer lift (2” front and 1.5” rear). I already purchased the Mopar LCA to accomplish the correct factory alignment.

So, after all that, my questions are: what should I do regarding shocks? In the near term, this will be a Mall Crawler. After the kids are gone, I will redo the build. Can I run the factory Ruby shocks? Should I even consider running those shocks? Should I run a different shock? I am targeting road comfort and ease of use. I want it to drive as close to factory as possible. Thanks a ton for your assistance.
Keep in mind your JL Rubicon sits slightly higher because it’s springs are 1.25” taller from the factory then non Rubicon models. Your 1.5”-2” spacer lift was designed mostly around the non Rubicon spring heights and total lift numbers advertised are for non Rubicons. What this means is your Rubicon will see 3.25” front and 2.75” rear of total lift using the 2” front and 1.5” rear spacers. So if you are going to use the spacer lift you should change out your Rubicon shock as they will be taxed handling a lift of greater then 2” overall. This is what I was told by a TeraFlex rep when I asked about their spacer lift and shocks.

3.25” (1.25” Rubicon spring +2” front spacer) + 2.75”(1.25 Rubicon spring + 1.5” rear spacer) = 6”. Divide 6” by 2 = 3” average overall lift height with Rubicon factory springs.

Last edited:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind your JL Rubicon sits slightly higher because it’s springs are 1.25” taller from the factory then non Rubicon models. Your 1.5”-2” spacer lift was designed mostly around the non Rubicon spring heights and total lift numbers advertised are for non Rubicons. What this means is your Rubicon will see 3.25” front and 2.75” rear of total lift using the 2” front and 1.5” rear spacers. So if you are going to use the spacer lift you should change out your Rubicon shock as they will be taxed handling a lift of greater then 2” overall. This is what I was told by a TeraFlex rep when I asked about their spacer lift and shocks.

3.25” (1.25” Rubicon spring +2” front spacer) + 2.75”(1.25 Rubicon spring + 1.5” rear spacer) = 6”. Divide 6” by 2 = 3” average overall lift height with Rubicon factory springs.
Tony - all valid information if you were adding Rubi takeoff plus spacer kit to a non-rubi. The OP has a Rubi so really only lifting the value of the spacers here.

OP - may want to consider at a minimum shock extender brackets...

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Tony - all valid information if you were adding Rubi takeoff plus spacer kit to a non-rubi. The OP has a Rubi so really only lifting the value of the spacers here.

OP - may want to consider at a minimum shock extender brackets...
I am referring to TOTAL overall lift height which including what comes standard from the factory for the Rubicon.

Sure spacer raise the height a fixed amount over “stock” regardless of Rubicon or non Rubicon, but other issues come into play after ~2” of lift for ALL JL models. The Rubicon uses 1.25” of that 2” as it arrives from the factory, leaving .75” of play before more suspension parts are needed to correct issues that arise once one starts passing 2”. LCA are one issue and the OP has them ready to address one issue, but also the need to recenter the front axle starts comes into the mix because the TOTAL lift height (spring + spacers) will now exceed 2” (3.25” in this case) of front end lift which means more suspension parts will be required to recenter the axle.

I have been down this road more then once with my TJs and JKs and as different as the JL might seem, it still has the same basic engineering issues that it’s predecessor had.
Sponsored

Last edited: