Sponsored

NEED HELP - (sorry) - Replaced dead battery in the jeep and then replaced the aux battery. Now I have no response to pushing the start button....

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This thread and others like it should be a lesson to all: Removing the fuse box to service the aux battery is neither the approved/directed way to go, nor is it the best. But hey, your property, do as you please.
^^^^^ this all day ^^^^^

I just came back from a trip to my JLUR in the airport garage where it has been sitting in -8°F weather.

It turned over really slow, but started. I will be changing both batteries soon, but I will go through the fender. No way am I messing with the fuse box.
Sponsored

IAMTHEBEASTIWORSHIP

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
One other thought- how do you tell if one of your fuses is blown on that high voltage buss bar? I have not encountered this arrangement before. that whole buss is one unit.
interested if anyone can answer this as well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
interested if anyone can answer this as well.
Exact same way you check any other fuse, it's just bigger. Use a multimeter, set to resistance, check for open circuit from one side of the little black squares to the other. Alternatively, set to voltage, hook neg lead to ground, and check for power on both sides.

Continuity is best, as for example, N3 will have voltage at both sides so long as the Power Control Relay is commanded on.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The fender way is better if one is comfortable doing it. I agree with Aldo, though. I could never get my JKs fenders to feel factory again after reinstallation, hence going through the fusebox with the JL when I removed my Auxiliary. There is nothing scary about the fusebox- just take a picture prior to removing it and install the connectors it the same way it was. There's a groove for each of the 4 connectors to easily snap into below the fusebox, it's really not intimidating.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread and others like it should be a lesson to all: Removing the fuse box to service the aux battery is neither the approved/directed way to go, nor is it the best. But hey, your property, do as you please.
Yup..

It is pound foolish to dismantle the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in order to access/change out the Auxiliary battery.

There are very valid reasons why dealer techs are instructed to do the deed from down below and not via PDC dismantling.

No way would I ever suggest to a guy or gal that they dismantle the PDC in order to deal with an Aux battery change... No way..

Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I know this sounds crazy....but would it be possible to cut a hole and fab a panel to remove the small battery without pulling the fender? Would there be room? Would there be a market for such an item?

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I did not want to have the battery problems that your having and understand your anger towards the system, that's why I replaced both of my batteries with the Genesis system. I went through the top because you have to for this conversion. Yes it was tedious and I watched the install video step by step as I toiled away. The PDC was not all that hard and the video by Genesis was great. It took me most of the day to do this but guess what. I don't have to worry about that baby battery. If I can do it most anyone can, so jump in and solve your problems. By the way my original batteries were fine and if someones wants them they can have them free of charge just pick them up. Good luck in your endeavors and remember some jeepers have replaced these factory batteries twice.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I know this sounds crazy....but would it be possible to cut a hole and fab a panel to remove the small battery without pulling the fender? Would there be room? Would there be a market for such an item?
Yea, it’s the inner fender liner. Just pull the liner. For some reason people on this forum are adamant about pulling the whole thing and replacing those clips, when all you need are to cut the plastic rivets out of the liner and replace with two piece push rivets or Christmas tree push fasteners.

Reactions: OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Yea, it’s the inner fender liner. Just pull the liner. For some reason people on this forum are adamant about pulling the whole thing and replacing those clips, when all you need are to cut the plastic rivets out of the liner and replace with two piece push rivets or Christmas tree push fasteners.
So it's not really necessary to pull the outer fender? I can just drill the inner fender rivets and replace them with an expanding attachment screws. I didn't know that was possible. I will certainly go that route.Thanks....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@OBD

Pulling the fender flare has been the go to way for many here, but at dealerships the Tech's cut a few rivets and peelingl back a portion of the fender liner... which is in essence the same same as a cut out panel as you suggest.

I have accessed the Aux battery by peeling back the fender liner and by the fender flare pull.

I myself prefer the flare pull.... other's prefer the fender liner peel... For sure either of the two ways to do the deed are far far better alternatives then to dismantle the PDC and risk doing hundreds of $ of damage.

Reactions: OBD

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
Okay I resolved the issue!!!!! We've had cold and snow and awful lighting even with flashlights and i had to work outdoors on it......and i missed a SINGULAR wiring harness pin that was slightly out of alignment. It was sliding into the adjoining slot, not making any contact. It was in a spot very close to the fuse bar. It must be critical because literally everything on the dash sprang to life immediately.

Funny how things work out- morning sun was behind me and the angles on the pins were so much easier to see. She's running beautifully and I'm now fairly certain my girlfriend will not break up with me over this LOL.

Thanks everyone - I really honestly retraced my work and considered and tried each suggested fix. Y'all are the goods.
late response but I had duplicate experience where key fob unlocked vehicle same message but when pushed button, nothing. Then after about 15min of doing the same thing over and over, the vehicle just suddenly started. Not had the issue sense. Was told by the dealer that the FOB sometimes loses pairing and wont start the car? THis seems more realistic. Did you happen to take a pic of the actual connector that was causing your pain. WOuld like to know exactly where to look WHEN it happens to me again

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
So it's not really necessary to pull the outer fender? I can just drill the inner fender rivets and replace them with an expanding attachment screws. I didn't know that was possible. I will certainly go that route.Thanks....
A strong pair of scissors work great to get rid of those plastic rivets. You can have the fender off in a minute or less.
Sponsored