Need help on Tazer front camera installation for 2020 Rubicon

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Does anyone have a good instructional video or any suggestions to help install the Tazer front camera for my 2020 Rubicon? I have the Tazer JL Mini already and went through a video on youtube that was pretty good. In that video, after I connect all the wiring, it says I will see a "cargo cam" icon on my screen but I don't see it.

I feel my wiring is correct but as Forrest Gump says, "I am not a smart man" so I could have been looking at a wiring diagram for a microwave. lol

Seriously though, any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Have you first enabled the cargo cam feature within tazer? After the feature is enabled (it’s in the Radio section I believe), then the icon will show up after a couple of sleep wake cycles. Even if your wiring is incorrect, the icon will show up if you enable it with the tazer.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
You have to enable it, reboot from the Tazer menu, and key cycle twice I think. The cargo cam icon never showed up for me. I have to turn on the rear camera, and the cargo cam icon is displayed on top of the rear cam image. Touching that turns on the front camera.

OP
OP
T-REX DAWG

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
You have to enable it, reboot from the Tazer menu, and key cycle twice I think. The cargo cam icon never showed up for me. I have to turn on the rear camera, and the cargo cam icon is displayed on top of the rear cam image. Touching that turns on the front camera.
Awesome info, I'll try that. Thanks

OP
OP
T-REX DAWG

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Have you first enabled the cargo cam feature within tazer? After the feature is enabled (it’s in the Radio section I believe), then the icon will show up after a couple of sleep wake cycles. Even if your wiring is incorrect, the icon will show up if you enable it with the tazer.
I didn't do that but I will try it. Thanks.

Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Wait the 5 minutes between each key cycle mentioned in the instructions. When we did it on a friends, we first waited the typical 1 minute, it did not work. It did work correctly once we did the aforementioned 5 minute cycles.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Can this camera be used if you already have the front facing camera?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Can this camera be used if you already have the front facing camera?
Im not sure anyone has tried it but I believe it should. Since the front camera uses the same fakra connections as the rear camera, they connect differently to the units instead of using the main harness, thus this composite video input should still be free behind the head unit.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I didn't do that but I will try it. Thanks.
That was your issue. Should work after, as long as you follow the directions exactly and move away from the jeep so it cannot detect the key so it will fully shut down. That needs to be done twice after enabling the feature and rebooting jeep systems with the tazer, as has already been mentioned above.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Very interesting that you did not get the Cargo Cam icon in the apps section of uConnect. Have you contacted zAutomotive? They are usually helpful and may know how to fix that minor issue for you.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
:facepalm:

We need a giga merg thread of all the many, many tazer issues. War and Peace would seem like a pamphlet.. At least the folks at tazer won't give a sh**...

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Im not sure anyone has tried it but I believe it should. Since the front camera uses the same fakra connections as the rear camera, they connect differently to the units instead of using the main harness, thus this composite video input should still be free behind the head unit.
Thanks! Was thinking of adding a camera behind the front wheels under the jeep :)

OP
OP
T-REX DAWG

T-REX DAWG

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
That was your issue. Should work after, as long as you follow the directions exactly and move away from the jeep so it cannot detect the key so it will fully shut down. That needs to be done twice after enabling the feature and rebooting jeep systems with the tazer, as has already been mentioned above.
Thanks for the help everyone. I got it to work finally but didn't like the placement so I used a bracket I had and attached it to that. It works really well and gives me a clear view.

Front camera 1.jpg

Front camera 2.jpg

Front camera 3.jpg
Sponsored