noobfromnyc

First Name
owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota rav4
Hey all

I am looking to do lease a 2018 wrangler, just test drive one today and I liked it a lot.

I am located in Long Island NY, I have attached a window sticker from a local dealership, how much should be the acceptable monthly lease payment?

The dealer quote me $500 per month with $3000 down, not too sure if it's the good price to go with

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Attachments

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
If $500 is with tax then its a eh standard deal. I got a 2019 $50,700 Sahara for about the same price ($568/mo after tax $0 down $0 driveoff)

Tell him $1.5k down same deal 39 months

OP
OP

noobfromnyc

First Name
owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota rav4
If $500 is with tax then its a eh standard deal. I got a 2019 $50,700 Sahara for about the same price ($568/mo after tax $0 down $0 driveoff)

Ok I attached the wrong sticker, it's actually this sticker, MSRP $52905

What range should I aim for?

thanks!

Attachments

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
The deal is legit then. Try to take another 1000 off just cuz you gotta try, but other than that, JOIN THE WRANGLER CLUB ALREADY!

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
You need more information, the deal break down, dealer discount, MF, taxes, fees, RV, selling price, term, mileage.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Guys... stop negotiating on monthly payment. You negotiate the sale price of the car first, and then back into the lease from there.

You need to get the full lease break down details and post it here, as the above poster stated. Only then can we assist. Sport has the highest residual, followed by Sahara (which used to be lowest but seemed to change), and then Rubicon.

Last edited:

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Ok I attached the wrong sticker, it's actually this sticker, MSRP $52905

What range should I aim for?

thanks!
I don’t what dealer you are working with but I do know one thing. Long Island dealers SUCK!! You will not get a good deal on LI. Give Mark Fitzpatrick of Fitzpatrick Jeep in Conn. a call. I don’t know what he can do on a lease but I saved almost 6K off sticker (11% off sticker / 5% below invoice) by buying my 19 JLUS with him. His dealership is a 15 min. drive from the Bridgeport ferry terminal. His number is (203) 735-4909. Good luck.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don’t what dealer you are working with but I do know one thing. Long Island dealers SUCK!! You will not get a good deal on LI. Give Mark Fitzpatrick of Fitzpatrick Jeep in Conn. a call. I don’t know what he can do on a lease but I saved almost 6K off sticker (11% off sticker / 5% below invoice) by buying my 19 JLUS with him. His dealership is a 15 min. drive from the Bridgeport ferry terminal. His number is (203) 735-4909. Good luck.
The selling price on a lease should be the same as a buy. So if your dealer is providing a good price on a sale he should give the same price on a leased vehicle.

There are 3 parts to buying a vehicle:

- The vehicle purchase
- The financing
- Trade-in

Leasing is part of financing - not the purchase. The selling price of the vehicle will have a greater impact on the lease cost than any other factor. Once you set the selling price pretty much any vendor can give you a standard lease deal from Chrysler, USBank, or Ally.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

You can't compare lease deals across states. Taxes are different and they can have a big impact on the monthly payment.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
You can't compare lease deals across states. Taxes are different and they can have a big impact on the monthly payment.
When I bought my vehicle from Fitzpatrick’s they collected the NY state taxes and paid them to the state. They also registered the car in NY. I got a temp plate so I could drive the vehicle home. I received my NY plates from NYSDMV within 2 weeks. All I needed to do once I got the plates was I needed to get the vehicle inspected by a NY state inspection station. One of the easiest vehicle purchases I ever made.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
When I bought my vehicle from Fitzpatrick’s they collected the NY state taxes and paid them to the state. They also registered the car in NY. I got a temp plate so I could drive the vehicle home. I received my NY plates from NYSDMV within 2 weeks. All I needed to do once I got the plates was I needed to get the vehicle inspected by a NY state inspection station. One of the easiest vehicle purchases I ever made.
Sorry. That's not what I meant. I don't mean doing a lease purchase in a state other than your home state.

Let me clarify. You cannot compare the payment you get on a specific vehicle if you live in one state to the payment someone else got on a similar vehicle in another state. The difference in taxes will impact the payment. For example Pennsylvania charges an additional 3% tax just on leases. Other states tax the full vehicle and not just the payments.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never put money down on a lease
Some people may have to if they don't have vehicle history. Also, lower payment can keep your D:I ratio in tact -- which if you are buying a house, can be ideal.

Otherwise, you are at risk of losing the down payment should you total the vehicle. But then again, you're kind of at that risk anyway with buying.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why should you never put money down on a lease?
Primary reasons:

1) You are not saving much in interest as you are only paying interest on the amount leased, not the entire purchase price of the vehicle.

2) You are at risk of losing your down payment if your vehicle is totaled early on in the lease term, and especially if the residuals were aggressive (not super aggressive on the JL).

For the most part, the benefit is purely psychological. Only exception would be very high MF (common in Porsche world) combined with a high lease balance, or when you are trying to keep D:I to a certain threshold (say, if buying a house).
Sponsored