Need help helping wife

gburchett

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLR, Sting-Gray, ‘15 Ford Fusion, ‘16 F450
Picked up my Jeep this weekend and while we were there she test drove a 4xe Rubi. She fell in love, but she has been looking at Hybrid SUVs. I hoping you all can tell me what real world mileage you are getting and if this is a true hybrid or you can only use electric and then gas. I’m not familiar with the 4xe so I’m of no help to her. Will it recharge the battery when breaking like other hybrids or does this have to be plugged in to charge?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Picked up my Jeep this weekend and while we were there she test drove a 4xe Rubi. She fell in love, but she has been looking at Hybrid SUVs. I hoping you all can tell me what real world mileage you are getting and if this is a true hybrid or you can only use electric and then gas. I’m not familiar with the 4xe so I’m of no help to her. Will it recharge the battery when breaking like other hybrids or does this have to be plugged in to charge?
Yes it’s a real PHEV. It won’t get what a RAV4 will.
It has 375hp and 470 ft lbs of torque. If gas mileage is your priority, take a pass. If the most fun you can have in a vehicle is your priority, pick one up.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
Contrary to the previous post, yes braking will recharge the battery over time. It's called regen braking. Also, you can recharge the vehicle while driving when you put it in esave mode. But the main way to recharge the vehicle will be with a dedicated charger.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Real world mileage will vary. Some people commute 5 miles each way to work so they have great mileage, just using electric. Other people may commute 20 miles each way so they use gas also. You may want to include your wifes expected drive use, commute to work, just run around town, etc, for better feedback.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
I think the poster above meant that braking is not an efficient way to charge. So don’t bank on it adding 10s of miles to your range. My experience was you should get about 20 miles to the charge.

I always had mine charging on my level 2 charger (220v, 32 amp) when parked at home, and I could charge it from <1% to 100% in about 2.5 hours. The charger that comes with the Jeep will do the same in about 12 hours. It was not unusual for me to get 50 electric only miles in a single day by keeping it plugged in when at home.

I never did a gas mileage test with an “empty” battery, but my rough math was that you should get around 20mpg after the battery was depleted.

This hybrid is fun to drive. But understand that it does come with some nuances that all other PHEV’s have. When you hear the cooling system roar the first time while it is charging, you’ll know what kind of nuances there are.

I’m selling mine because of the horrible after sales support.

Last edited:

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have 37k miles on my Jeep 4xe. Its 17 miles to my office. I generally charge at home and at work. I"m getting about 26 miles of electric range even after upgrading to 33s so I don't even burn gas between home and office. I am usually averaging about 38 MPGe unless I take a road trip. I might fill up on gas twice a month. Road trips are a little different since I generally don't charge and avg 25mpg.

Sponsored

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR
Yes it’s a real PHEV. It won’t get what a RAV4 will.
It has 375hp and 470 ft lbs of torque. If gas mileage is your priority, take a pass. If the most fun you can have in a vehicle is your priority, pick one up.
Good info and advice, however the MOST fun can only be had with a 392 😂😉🍻

_oIIIIIIIo_

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
How long would regen braking take to charge the battery.....?
Regen braking will never be able to fully recharge the battery, rather it is useful to boost the range a bit.

Example: Left my house this afternoon for a Sunday drive in the hills of southern Indiana. 26 mile range on the battery when I left, drove for about an hour and half over 55 miles total. When I got home, the computer said I’d done 32 miles on electric and 23 on gasoline. So regen breaking added 6 miles.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Incorrect. Please don’t post if you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Oh yeah, I was way off on that one.

21 miles actual real world range electric only and regen braking cannot fully re-charge the battery.
Sponsored