Need help deciding - diesel, gas or e?

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4, Porsche 911 Turbo, VW Alltrac
I'm replacing a daily driver and looking into buying a new wrangler. I owned a FJ40 (as well as other Toyota trucks) for years, so I'm not totally new to off-roading, but I'm new to the Jeep brand. I'm not going to do any serious off-roading or rock crawling but I'll use it mainly for daily driving and camping/backpacking. I also plan on towing a small teardrop or camping trailer sometimes. With that said, I don't want a pure pavement pounder either. As for features I don't need a fully loaded model, but electric windows, nav and a decent sound system would be nice. I don't want to be a Rubicon wannabe, but having a decent tire/wheel setup with at least 32s is desirable as well.

Now the big questions:
1. Which model? I'm leaning toward a Sahara but open to suggestions.
2. Gas? I want diesel for the extra torque, but is it worth the extra cost and will it really save that much more gas?
3. Is there anything elseI should be considering?

Thanks,
Joe

Anything else I should be considering?
Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
HI Joe. Welcome.

I just ordered a gas JLUR and have a similar driving situation as you. I do a lot of highway driving too. I test drove just about every JLU I could (no 392) and ultimately decided the 2.0T was the best for me. It was incredible on the highway!

I spent the better part of the last 6 months reading and researching the 4xe too. I really enjoyed my 4xe test drive, and really wanted to go that route... but I keep hearing of so many issues and concerns with them that I decided to go gas, and wait a little on FCA’s PHEVs.

Good luck!

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
How much do you drive a day? If you put a lot of miles on your ride the 4Xe probably won't work for you as once you use up the batteries your just hauling around useless weight. Also, don't rule out a sport or sport S. There are so many packages you can get (technolgy package, cold weather package, etc.) you might be able to save some money with a sport and some packages vs a Sahara. As far as gas vs diesel I would test drive both and see what you like. I have a 3.6 and I love it, but I don't tow anything.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
No stock JL is a pure pavement pounder. (Those are called Bronco Sports. ;) ) The JL Sport trim will meet the off-road needs you listed. The Sahara is a luxury trim. The real question is how long are your daily drives. If it's under 30-35 miles you'll benefit from the 4xe. The 4xe will also help towing with electric boost on acceleration and hills. Still, the 2.0t alone is a beast especially at altitude.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Don't buy the diesel to save money. You'll be on here whining that you're not saving money in no time.

Buy the diesel for the low end torque.

Sponsored

Chopperace

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
I'm replacing a daily driver and looking into buying a new wrangler. I owned a FJ40 (as well as other Toyota trucks) for years, so I'm not totally new to off-roading, but I'm new to the Jeep brand. I'm not going to do any serious off-roading or rock crawling but I'll use it mainly for daily driving and camping/backpacking. I also plan on towing a small teardrop or camping trailer sometimes. With that said, I don't want a pure pavement pounder either. As for features I don't need a fully loaded model, but electric windows, nav and a decent sound system would be nice. I don't want to be a Rubicon wannabe, but having a decent tire/wheel setup with at least 32s is desirable as well.

Now the big questions:
2. Gas? I want diesel for the extra torque, but is it worth the extra cost and will it really save that much more gas?

Thanks,
Joe

How long do you plan on owning your Jeep? I had the same dilemma as you and went with the 3.6. I talked to a lot of dealers who have a lot more experience than I do with these engines and most steered me towards the 3.6 and away from the Ecodiesel. That being said I liked how the diesel drove the best out of all the engines . If I was only planning on keeping it a few years I may have chosen the diesel, but I wouldn’t if I planned on owning it after the warranty expired

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible

Now the big questions:

Thanks,
Joe

I would get the e because of the government subsidies! Can’t beat $7500 off sticker! More if you live in Cali! Resale should be great! Sell it after three years if you’ve had problems. Keep it if it has been reliable! I have a 2019 etorque mild hybrid 2.0 turbo and love it!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Sahara, with the 3.6 and 8 speed auto is a great combination.

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Joe. Welcome.

I just ordered a gas JLUR and have a similar driving situation as you. I do a lot of highway driving too. I test drove just about every JLU I could (no 392) and ultimately decided the 2.0T was the best for me. It was incredible on the highway!

I spent the better part of the last 6 months reading and researching the 4xe too. I really enjoyed my 4xe test drive, and really wanted to go that route... but I keep hearing of so many issues and concerns with them that I decided to go gas, and wait a little on FCA’s PHEVs.

Good luck!
Thanks Buster. I hadn't even considered the 2.0 t. I'll check it out.

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much do you drive a day? If you put a lot of miles on your ride the 4Xe probably won't work for you as once you use up the batteries your just hauling around useless weight. Also, don't rule out a sport or sport S. There are so many packages you can get (technolgy package, cold weather package, etc.) you might be able to save some money with a sport and some packages vs a Sahara. As far as gas vs diesel I would test drive both and see what you like. I have a 3.6 and I love it, but I don't tow anything.
Most of my driving is to and from the airport so I don't put on a ton of miles. Thanks for the tip on the sport. I noticed some with lots of options.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No stock JL is a pure pavement pounder. (Those are called Bronco Sports. ;) ) The JL Sport trim will meet the off-road needs you listed. The Sahara is a luxury trim. The real question is how long are your daily drives. If it's under 30-35 miles you'll benefit from the 4xe. The 4xe will also help towing with electric boost on acceleration and hills. Still, the 2.0t alone is a beast especially at altitude.
Good to know about the e having towing capability. Again, I won't be doing it that much but nice to know it can handle it. Again, I don't drive a ton of miles so the e could make sense.

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't buy the diesel to save money. You'll be on here whining that you're not saving money in no time.

Buy the diesel for the low end torque.
Agreed. That's why I'm kind of stuck. I like the way the diesel drove the best, but not sure I need it.

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would get the e because of the government subsidies! Can’t beat $7500 off sticker! More if you live in Cali! Resale should be great! Sell it after three years if you’ve had problems. Keep it if it has been reliable! I have a 2019 etorque mild hybrid 2.0 turbo and love it!
Thanks. I forgot about the subsidy. I thought that was going away. Like you said, living in CA, that could be a real benefit!

OP
OP

JElexion

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long do you plan on owning your Jeep? I had the same dilemma as you and went with the 3.6. I talked to a lot of dealers who have a lot more experience than I do with these engines and most steered me towards the 3.6 and away from the Ecodiesel. That being said I liked how the diesel drove the best out of all the engines . If I was only planning on keeping it a few years I may have chosen the diesel, but I wouldn’t if I planned on owning it after the warranty expired
Funny you mention owning it past a few years. It's made by Fiat and does concern me a bit. Like you m I liked the way it drove, but I'm not convinced. If it said Cummins, I'd be fine with it! Thanks

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Agreed. That's why I'm kind of stuck. I like the way the diesel drove the best, but not sure I need it.
You only NEED the diesel if you want a lot of low end torque. You want torque if you will be pulling something like an expedition trailer over rough terrain, or if you are rock crawling for example. I love the diesel for wheeling. I go up steep rocky inclines with a loaded JLURD with power to spare. Icing on the cake is the fantastic fuel mileage I get. I typically get 26mpg, and if I milk it I can get 29mpg. I wheeled for 8 hours today and I was down barely a quarter of a tank. Don't get the diesel for the MPG though. It would take years to hit your breakeven point on the power plant.
Sponsored