Need help deciding between 2018 JL Rubicon or 2020 Sahara Altitude

Asusundevil

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Wrangler and purchasing a JL Wrangler
We are really struggling in deciding between two vehicles. This will be my wife's jeep and she won't be doing too much offroading.

1st Jeep - $45K plus registration no tax
MSRP - $53k (optional extended warranty for $1,300 7 yr/70,000 miles bumper to bumper)
(seller already accepted my $45K offer)
2018 JL Rubicon - private party (never off-road, no scratches)
- White
- 6 cyl.
- 5,000 miles
- looks brand new, they have 2 other very expensive vehicles and want another one
- LED Package
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch

2nd Jeep - $48.9 out the door (MSRP $49.9k)
New 2020 Sahara Altitude
- White
- 2.0 4 cyl.
- 10 miles
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch
Sponsored

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If its inclusive of the extended warranty, I definitely say the Rubicon. If it's a private party the warranty should just be transferrable and you shouldn't have to pay the person for it. O/W your looking at a new Jeep with a 3 yr warranty or a used jeep with 1 yr left on factory warranty. (If those things matter to you). Also, check with your lender to see how much difference between used and new car rates...now should be good rates on new vehicles through dealer financing, but I don't think used vehicle rates are all that good (despite Fed rate cut). Lastly depending how long you'll keep, the Rubicon will hold value better....Good luck

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Saharah is a much more comfortable ride. And it's new!! You can get great deals on new rubicons for that price

Sponsored

skipstar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
New 2020..... Can probably get a new 2020 Rubicon for 49k with very low rate rate right now. Maybe wait 2-3 weeks to see what FCC comes out with to rebound. I have a 2019 Sahara and not a day goes by that I don't wish maybe I splurged for the Rubicon. Just my opinion.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
We are really struggling in deciding between two vehicles. This will be my wife's jeep and she won't be doing too much offroading.

MSRP - $53k (optional extended warranty for $1,300 7 yr/70,000 miles bumper to bumper)
- White
- 6 cyl.
- 5,000 miles
- looks brand new, they have 2 other very expensive vehicles and want another one
- LED Package
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch

New 2020 Sahara Altitude
- White
- 2.0 4 cyl.
- 10 miles
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch
test drive both on the highway and pick the one with least wander and dead spot

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase

- White
- 6 cyl.
- 5,000 miles
- LED Package
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch

New 2020 Sahara Altitude
- White
- 2.0 4 cyl.
- 10 miles
- Premium Audio Package
- leather
- sky one-touch
Tough one. I would keep looking. I am sure new ones are going to have a deep discount soon. I don't like used but that Rubicon has Locking axles, LED package and the 6 cyl are all better in my book. Not knocking the turbo, but I just don't like that battery underneath. More stuff to go wrong down the road. The 6 CYL has been around and is reliable.

I got a Sahara and wish i got a Rubicon I love the hood and locking axles. But the price was right on the Sahara and I prefer the leather dash over the red. Although you can change that.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The price on that Rubicon isn’t far off what you can get a new one for.
Plus sales tax on a new vehicle. OP stated no sales tax. I assume AZ does not tax private party sales?

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
This will be my wife's jeep and she won't be doing too much offroading.
A daily driver that won't really be offroading? Sahara and it's not even close.

The ride on street will be much better and more appropiate for someone who's not a Wrangler enthusiast. Not to mention it's two years newer, full warranty, can probably get a better deal and you'll have peace of mind being the original owner. I would also say 45k is a pretty terrible deal for a used 2018 with an original MSRP of 53k. About 38k is more appropiate and that's before Corona, not during.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
The Sahara for sure, but I think there are better deals to be had. Too many Rubicon snobs out that think everyone needs lockers, heavier axle, and disconnecting sway bars. For comfort and on road use the Sahara is great and it is still capable off road.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

wifes DD and not much offroading? Sahara for sure. this is coming from someone who wishes they bought a Rubicon lol. but i offroad mine and more than just mild offroading.. and so far my measely Sport has been able to tackle everything ive thrown at it, i just want to tackle more difficult obstacles.

the Sahara will handle 10x more than your wife will ever be comfortable doing lol (offroad wise).

ultimately, let her decide, she will be driving it. test drive both and see which she likes better. if you live in snowy area, Sahara for sure for the AWD system. you can always add the Rubi hood if she likes it, i put one on my Sport.
Sponsored