Need Help ...Cracked my roof!....

dke1955

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU 4 door
Friday was out with a bud on some unfamiliar trails...getting dark and we decide to return to camp..back up...did not see a low hanging branch and the branch hit the rear upper right section of roof above the back glass and cracked the fiberglass. I am sick about this...JUST bought new tires and rims...out having some fun....NOTHING crazy and this happens....Has anyone had dealings with this type of situation or have any suggestions on what to do as far as repairs.....Looking on web looks like this is a $3000.00 repair if I want to pay cash.....but at this point I would love to have some options....I appreciate any assistance.....Thanks everyone!
dave
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Depends on the color of the top and if the crack goes all the way thru into the INSIDE TEXTURE-

It's not FIBERGLASS so most LIGHT repairs are more AESTHETIC than structural safety !

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
$3000 repair? People on here sell basically new black ones for half of that. I sold mine for around $1400. How bad is it? Please post a pic. Repairing should be way less...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Friday was out with a bud on some unfamiliar trails...getting dark and we decide to return to camp..back up...did not see a low hanging branch and the branch hit the rear upper right section of roof above the back glass and cracked the fiberglass. I am sick about this...JUST bought new tires and rims...out having some fun....NOTHING crazy and this happens....Has anyone had dealings with this type of situation or have any suggestions on what to do as far as repairs.....Looking on web looks like this is a $3000.00 repair if I want to pay cash.....but at this point I would love to have some options....I appreciate any assistance.....Thanks everyone!
dave
  • Sorry for what happened and that I can't help: out of my wheelhouse.
  • Jeff @jscherb on the other hand owns the wheelhouse.
  • He breaks apart hard tops and makes them modular components.
  • So comfortable is this guy with fiberglass that to him it's a food group.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

Good luck.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Post up pics so we can see how bad and what kind of damage we are talking about. Even without pics though it will not cost $3k to fix, that’s crazy. You can purchase another top for that amount. If you are willing to spend that amount I’m sure you could post in the WTB section that you want to buy a hardtop for $3k and you will get ten people willing to do so.

I’d like to see pics of damage if you don’t mind to post some up. That way we can help you address on how to fix it or proceed.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Get a soft top:like:
Good luck on your repairs. I think I would :crying: too...

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
At the beach over the summer I backed into a light fixture hanging from a pipe... the fixture survived, but the roof has a little boo-boo. I congratulated myself on Jeep ownership. It's so high up I really can't even see it...one of these days I'll take the paint pen to it.

How bad is the damage?

IMG_3530 - Copy.JPG

Boo_boo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

dke1955

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU 4 door
here are pics of the damage.....crack also appeared behind the rubber weather stripping which seals the back glass.....

20191124_101609a.jpg

20191124_101519a.jpg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
here are pics of the damage.....crack also appeared behind the rubber weather stripping which seals the back glass.....

20191124_101609a.jpg

20191124_101519a.jpg
Probably a insurance claim.

First take it to a competent body shop to see what they can do. That should give you a idea of cost and if it's worth making a insurance claim for. Maybe they can glue to back to seal it then paint.

Plan B and C would be to try buying a used hard top. A painted one will be much harder to locate then a textured black one. A black textured hard top should be a lot easier to locate and cost less then $2K. Or consider a soft top?

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
  • Sorry for what happened and that I can't help: out of my wheelhouse.
  • Jeff @jscherb on the other hand owns the wheelhouse.
  • He breaks apart hard tops and makes them modular components.
  • So comfortable is this guy with fiberglass that to him it's a food group.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

Good luck.
I would love a hard top roof with removable soft windows. I'm in safari mode 99% of the time it's not sealed up.
Sponsored