Need Help Choosing Wheel and Tire Size for Stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

goldfingaaa

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
After doing a little research, there appears to be a lot of conflicting advice on what size wheels and tires to fit on a stock Jeep. I'm looking at BFGoodrich T/A KO2s and getting a 17-inch wheel, and the general consensus seems to be that 33" tires will fit on my Jeep without rubbing. I was wondering if 275/70r17 or 285/70r17 would be the better tire size, and what width 17" wheel I'd get to go along with that (so far 8" or 8.5" seems to be the range). I'd like to get wheels that don't rub at all, if possible!
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you get on FB marketplace (or hit up a few of your local offroad/Jeep shops), you should easily be able to get a full set of Rubicon take-offs for ~$1K-1.5K. These will be 17" rims with 33" KO2s or Falken Wildpeaks (depending on the trim of the Rubi they came off of.

I was going through the exact same research myself recently - you can't even get JUST the rubber from DiscountTire for that much, much less the rims included. I got mine for $1K even - they were brand new, still had the shipping film on 2 of the rims. DiscountTire charged me another $300 to swap the TPMS, and then I sold my original 18" wheels+ 32" Dueler AT tires (with 9k miles on them) for $600 cash.

So basically netted out to $700 for a 5-pack of brand new 33" KO2s with rims to match.

I'm on a Sahara Altitude, and I'd put a 1.5" Teraflex spacer lift on before I bought the tires, so not sure about rubbing. Figure I'll do a full suspension kit once I have bumpers/winch, but for now, it's damn near perfect for me. With the kit, my fenders all sit at 40" off the ground, if that's helpful.