Sponsored

Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?!

10thMTNDM

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport
After doing research, I think I am leaning towards Borla S type catback. It really has the best sound and balance of loudness, in my opinion. I like to listen to the radio sometimes and I have had a loud exhaust before, it is hard to talk and listen to music...
Sponsored

ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
After doing research, I think I am leaning towards Borla S type catback. It really has the best sound and balance of loudness, in my opinion. I like to listen to the radio sometimes and I have had a loud exhaust before, it is hard to talk and listen to music...
Absolutely love my S-type...perfect sound, not to loud, not to soft.

04C7B7A0-3E4B-4488-9385-E29A98A3AB38.jpeg

6DC38109-225C-42D3-86B6-7CF788E6C0A1.jpeg

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
I have the MagnaFlow axle back dual outlet on my current V6 and love the sound.[/QUOTE
Do your tips contact the underside of your bumper? I have the steel bumpers (2019 Rubicon), and my axle back Magnaflow tips touch the bumper ….

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Second time Wrangler owner but first time entertaining an aftermarket exhaust. Borla is what I am leaning towards but should I just save money and do the axle-back only or go cat-back system? Those of you with the S-Type, did you consider the Touring and, if so, why did you land on the S-Type? The ATAK might be a it much for me. Just looking for a deeper note, little louder but certainly no drone. Not trying to match an NA V8 like my brother‘s Charger (he says the stock drones too much on long trips) and not trying to be the Asian ricer in a Jeep .

Thanks in advance!

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Flowmaster Outlaw Cat Back system. I had it installed when the Jeep had about 1,100 miles. We now have a little over 11,000 miles on the Jeep. It's a loud sounding system, but not overpowering in my opinion. I do notice a slight amount of droning between 2400-2800 rpm when under load or uphill, however, I personally am not bothered by the sound. I also ride a Harley so I'm used to loud exhausts and this system doesn't compare to some of the exhausts I've had on my motorcycles. We've taken several long road trips, most recently from SoCal to Zion National Park and we were very comfortable. Conversations and listening to music is not an issue with this system at all speeds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_2438

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_2439

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_2440

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_2441

Last edited:

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Read through all the posts about mufflers and decided on the Borla ATAK. I think it sounds good and fits nice. More to come after I drive it for a week.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 20200723_162608
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 20200723_180551
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 20200723_182846

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Did you guys see this review of the Borla? They have 3 options....normal, sorta loud (sport) and really loud....this reviewed the sport and I was thinking of going with this.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/borla-cat-back-exhaust-review.18061/#post-440695
I have installed both the Sport and Touring in my 3.6. The first was the sport. For my personal taste it was great tone, except for a drone between 1500-2000 RPM. After 3 days I ordered the Touring. I am very happy with it. Tone wise, its a real strong mid frequency tone. This is largely due to the stock resonator and the natural exhaust frequency of the V6. It sounds a lot like an R badged Audi. So did the Sport, just louder. While I had the muffler out on the second gona round, I ran it open. Honestly, I think the guys running no muffler and installing the extension pipe may be getting the best tone if one wants deep. It is really not much louder and sounded pretty darn good. I further modified my Touring outlets to a split twin, double rolled Anza style tip. This trimmed more high frequencies out. For my taste it sounds great.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 32AFB86B-98CE-4072-A1DD-A6F2DFE310CD

7676C330-A489-4489-B52C-8F5CAF70D861.jpeg

exlax66

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Read through all the posts about mufflers and decided on the Borla ATAK. I think it sounds good and fits nice. More to come after I drive it for a week.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 7676C330-A489-4489-B52C-8F5CAF70D861
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! 7676C330-A489-4489-B52C-8F5CAF70D861
I see a lot of people went with the S-type, how do you like the Atak version? I have heard that it is not much louder than the S-type but a deeper sound. I am really leaning towards the Borla Atak but I don't want it to be obnoxious.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I see a lot of people went with the S-type, how do you like the Atak version? I have heard that it is not much louder than the S-type but a deeper sound. I am really leaning towards the Borla Atak but I don't want it to be obnoxious.
I dont think its loud at all, deepness is pretty deep and throaty with no reverbe at idle/cruise. Once i reallllly hammer on the throtle from 2 to 3.5 RPM it sounds amazing, after that it kinda deadens out. I was hopin for something a bit more from 2-4.5 rpm however if i had to do it again i would opt for the chrome and not the black. The painting process was crap and flaked at the muffler tips, which they are aware of but its not a deal breaker for me. The vehicle is gonna wear regardless and i might get a different one later - who knows. All in all its good, sounds good, neighbors dont complain. If anything, i think any of the exhaust mods that are available are all gonna be good no matter which one you pick. Side note: i have not had the top off and heard it yet. May change my opinion this summer.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Have the Magnaflow Street Series Dual pipe, really happy w/ it. Had the Dynomax muffler delete on for about a year, liked the tone at WOT but the Magnaflow softens the rough edges and keeps the deep tone (albeit at a lower volume) when you're on the gas. Great fit & build quality w/ great hangers (vs. others I've seen). Tucks up nicely into the space previously occupied by the OEM Beer Keg.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_0571.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?! IMG_0572.JPG
Sponsored