Sponsored

Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The more sound clips I hear the more I am leaning towards a muffler delete and just turn down - there are a couple muffler delete options out but I might just have my muffler shop to fabricate a dump above and behind the rear axle.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
The more sound clips I hear the more I am leaning towards a muffler delete and just turn down - there are a couple muffler delete options out but I might just have my muffler shop to fabricate a dump above and behind the rear axle.
My hearing is very poor and I was having trouble hearing the engine at idle....and with a manual, I need to hear it. I had a Magnaflow type muffler installed and still had issues. I then had the resonator removed and it was then just OK. Not loud from outside, but I could hear it running.

If I was doing it again, I wouldo exactly as you're thinking and be done with it. I think a muffler delete would sound decent, not be too loud, and shed 25# of dead weight from the back of the Jeep.

On a side note, I feel no discerible difference in performance or driveability. I noticed no change in fuel economy.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Pretty sure the ole 3.6 operates best with some back pressure. I could be wrong but it’s worth investigating.

Sponsored

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Borla all the way for me. I have the axle-back, S-Type system in black and it's awesome. Sounds fantastic. Borla uses high grade stainless steel w/ a 1,000,000 mile warranty. They're not the cheapest option out there, but there's a reason for that.

Here's a great video for reference:

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Pretty sure the ole 3.6 operates best with some back pressure. I could be wrong but it’s worth investigating.
The goal of an exhaust is remove spent combustion gases as quickly and efficiently as possible out of the engine cylinders. Back pressure has the opposite effect, impeding exhaust flow.

Most if not all aftermarket systems are much less restrictive than the factory systems. A catalytic converter if faulty can be the biggest source of back pressure.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Corsa and Borla sound best to me.
Anyone have a Corsa?? Not much info on them out there
The goal of an exhaust is remove spent combustion gases as quickly and efficiently as possible out of the engine cylinders. Back pressure has the opposite effect, impeding exhaust flow.

Most if not all aftermarket systems are much less restrictive than the factory systems. A catalytic converter if faulty can be the biggest source of back pressure.
Yeah but dont the engineers who design the system have a reason for some restriction? I mean, think about it.

There is a reason for the CAI they put and the mufflers they put...they dont just slap these things together with no reasoning. The motor obviously operates at it's best because of it.

Sure you can get less restrictive CAI or exhaust system but what are the negatives to the motor for doing so. The motor wasn't built to run optimally if you open everything...it can, but there will be adverse effects in the future

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone have a Corsa?? Not much info on them out there

Yeah but dont the engineers who design the system have a reason for some restriction? I mean, think about it.

There is a reason for the CAI they put and the mufflers they put...they dont just slap these things together with no reasoning. The motor obviously operates at it's best because of it.

Sure you can get less restrictive CAI or exhaust system but what are the negatives to the motor for doing so. The motor wasn't built to run optimally if you open everything...it can, but there will be adverse effects in the future
Engineers design these systems for emissions testing plain and simple. They are designed to pass testing in the most restrictive state(s), typically benchmarked by California.

If you have an issue in your system that increases (crushed pipe, damaged cat etc.) back pressure this will cause increased emissions, increased fuel consumption, and can negatively affect engine performance.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Engineers design these systems for emissions testing plain and simple. They are designed to pass testing in the most restrictive state(s), typically benchmarked by California.

If you have an issue in your system that increases (crushed pipe, damaged cat etc.) back pressure this will cause increased emissions, increased fuel consumption, and can negatively affect engine performance.
Good to know, never thought about it that way.

Heck, open everything up then and work the motor. This things are built for racing so why not..

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I just put the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler delete straight pipe on. Only $120.00 shipped.

Sounds great, had rough idle and now that’s gone too.

The stock suitcase at the back is heavy and has a serious bend to get over the axle. It is so extreme I’d say it’s the same as stepping on someone’s windpipe. It’s no longer choking.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I just put the Flowmaster American Thunder muffler delete straight pipe on. Only $120.00 shipped.

Sounds great, had rough idle and now that’s gone too.

The stock suitcase at the back is heavy and has a serious bend to get over the axle. It is so extreme I’d say it’s the same as stepping on someone’s windpipe. It’s no longer choking.
And in a couple months to a year you'll be wondering why your engine is making a funny ticking sound. Not knocking you at all, good luck to each his own.

Buy cheap, do cheap....get cheap.

.....just saying.

Sorry grumpy today I guess

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
And in a couple months to a year you'll be wondering why your engine is making a funny ticking sound. Not knocking you at all, good luck to each his own.

Buy cheap, do cheap....get cheap.

.....just saying.

Sorry grumpy today I guess
I am all ears on how removing the oversized chunk of metal hanging off the back of my JL is going to cause my engine to tick/knock.

I ran a muffler delete on my 2009 JK for 9 years and never had any engine issues.

Y’all act like deleting the muffler is something new to Jeeps. No different than putting any aftermarket on - an aftermarket system has little to no construction compared to OEM.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I am all ears on how removing the oversized chunk of metal hanging off the back of my JL is going to cause my engine to tick/knock.

I ran a muffler delete on my 2009 JK for 9 years and never had any engine issues.

Y’all act like deleting the muffler is something new to Jeeps. No different than putting any aftermarket on - an aftermarket system has little to no construction compared to OEM.
Me too!

I put 45k miles with a Corsa on my 2013, so please, enlighten the uneducated on how back pressure after the catalytic converter impacts the bearings of the roller rockers? I’m sure you know since you asked for opinions on what’s the best exhaust. If you already knew wtf start this thread?

I swear, between the complaints of LED headlights being too bright or having to turn the auto heated seats and steering wheel off on cold days after a workout is too hard or arguing with the “Bring My Wallet” crowd cuz this Jeep thing is too hard is really grating to me on this forum.

This isn’t a social justice warrior vehicle. Go back to the Prius forum...

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Me too!

I put 45k miles with a Corsa on my 2013, so please, enlighten the uneducated on how back pressure after the catalytic converter impacts the bearings of the roller rockers? I’m sure you know since you asked for opinions on what’s the best exhaust. If you already knew wtf start this thread?

I swear, between the complaints of LED headlights being too bright or having to turn the auto heated seats and steering wheel off on cold days after a workout is too hard or arguing with the “Bring My Wallet” crowd cuz this Jeep thing is too hard is really grating to me on this forum.

This isn’t a social justice warrior vehicle. Go back to the Prius forum...
For sound, i wasnt the one who started the back pressure nonsense..I dont really care. All I want is better sound.

I hate Prius's(that how you spell it?), love my LEDs(aside from sucking in the snow)...and anything else you said in reply is wierd
Sponsored