Griztko

First Name
Griztko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Hello Everyone,

New to Jeeps and the Forum so please forgive my ignorance. I've been reading all over the Forum and have found a lot of information on Lift Kits and Suspension Mods. The problem is that it is A LOT of information and it has gotten overwhelming. I am looking to install a new set of rims and tires (35x12.5R20 preferably) on my 2020 4dr JL but can't seem to find concrete answers to the following questions and concerns:

Please keep in mind that the JL is for Highway Daily Driving.

1. Do I really have to lift my JL jeep to run 35x12.5r20?
2. Will not lifting put unnecessary strain on the jeep?
3. If I don't lift my jeep should I still replace any parts of the suspension? Stabilizer Bar, Tie Rod, etc.
4. If I do have to lift my jeep, how high do I have to lift to run 35x12.5r20 without affecting drivability?
5. If I get a 2.5"or 3.5" lift do I have to replace any other parts? Tie rod, Drag Link, Attenuator, Stabilizer Bar
6. Is there an unbiased review of Teraflex, RockKrawler, etc? Is there anything better?
7. Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried? :LOL:

Thank you in advance!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Spacer lift. If it will never see offroad and you want 20” rims, no need to buy a full suspension lift.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Spacer lift. If it will never see offroad and you want 20” rims, no need to buy a full suspension lift.
So spacer lifts should not be used if you do any off roading? I will not rock crawl or go out of my way to make the Jeep climb over stuff if I can just go around an obstacle. But I need to be able to tackle off road logging and fire roads when hunting. At most I hit giant mud and water filled potholes.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
So spacer lifts should not be used if you do any off roading? I will not rock crawl or go out of my way to make the Jeep climb over stuff if I can just go around an obstacle. But I need to be able to tackle off road logging and fire roads when hunting. At most I hit giant mud and water filled potholes.
Idk man. Do whatever you want.

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Hello Everyone,

New to Jeeps and the Forum so please forgive my ignorance. I've been reading all over the Forum and have found a lot of information on Lift Kits and Suspension Mods. The problem is that it is A LOT of information and it has gotten overwhelming. I am looking to install a new set of rims and tires (35x12.5R20 preferably) on my 2020 4dr JL but can't seem to find concrete answers to the following questions and concerns:

Please keep in mind that the JL is for Highway Daily Driving.

1. Do I really have to lift my JL jeep to run 35x12.5r20?
2. Will not lifting put unnecessary strain on the jeep?
2. If I don't lift my jeep should I still replace any parts of the suspension? Stabilizer Bar, Tie Rod, etc.
3. If I do have to lift my jeep, how high do I have to lift to run 35x12.5r20 without affecting drivability?
4. If I get a 2.5"or 3.5" lift do I have to replace any other parts? Tie rod, Drag Link, Attenuator, Stabilizer Bar
5. Is there an unbiased review of Teraflex, RockKrawler, etc? Is there anything better?
5. Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried? :LOL:

Thank you in advance!!
1. Not if your JL is a Rubicon. Yes if it is a Sahara.
2. No. But it may strain the eyes of other Jeep owners when you install 20s.
2. No.
3. 2"
4. Depends on the lift and who you ask. Some manufacturers say all you need is springs or spacers, some say you need new track bars or track bar relocation brackets.
5. Nothing's ever unbiased. Depends who you ask.
5. I'm not telling.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Your Jeep can handle all that just fine in stock form. Spacers are fine for adding bigger tires but spacers alone will affect your suspension geometry so ride and handling will be affected as well.

OP
OP
Griztko

Griztko

First Name
Griztko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
1. Not if your JL is a Rubicon. Yes if it is a Sahara.
2. No. But it may strain the eyes of other Jeep owners when you install 20s.
2. No.
3. 2"
4. Depends on the lift and who you ask. Some manufacturers say all you need is springs or spacers, some say you need new track bars or track bar relocation brackets.
5. Nothing's ever unbiased. Depends who you ask.
5. I'm not telling.
This is very helpful. Thank you!! I’ll worry about the strain in their eyes when they help me pay for the Jeep. LoL

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a spacer lift can be used in all ways offroad. What it lacks, compared to a suspension lift, is an increase in suspension travel over stock. Watch some of Litebrites earlier videos. The started with the rough country spacer lift and 35's. They proceeded to show exactly what it could or couldn't accomplish.

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You can run 35's with stock sahara suspension but you;d want to raise your bump stops so your tire doesn't rip you fender liner off if you hit a big bump.

Consider doing a rubicon suspension swap, it'll lift your jeep around 1.5" and you'd have the clearance you need. Plus i'm sure you could trade someone a case of beer foe their mildly used spring, shock, and arms.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Griztko

Griztko

First Name
Griztko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Your Jeep can handle all that just fine in stock form. Spacers are fine for adding bigger tires but spacers alone will affect your suspension geometry so ride and handling will be affected as well.
You can run 35's with stock sahara suspension but you;d want to raise your bump stops so your tire doesn't rip you fender liner off if you hit a big bump.

Consider doing a rubicon suspension swap, it'll lift your jeep around 1.5" and you'd have the clearance you need. Plus i'm sure you could trade someone a case of beer foe their mildly used spring, shock, and arms.
Thank you for the advice! I see in some post that 60/61 & 90/91 are "more desirable" when it comes to Rubicon Take-Offs. Is there specific part numbers I should be looking for? Are all JL Rubicon suspensions the same?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Griztko

Griztko

First Name
Griztko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Thank you for the advice! I see in some post that 60/61 & 90/91 are "more desirable" when it comes to Rubicon Take-Offs. Is there specific part numbers I should be looking for? Are all JL Rubicon suspensions the same?
I found a set of Two 3661AD and Two 3591AA Springs. I see around the forum that most sets are not equal numbers but are off by one ( 60/61, 90/91. 59/60, 88,89) and that the longer ones go on the passenger side. Can I use these equal sets or will this be an issue? Will my jeep look tilted to one side?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I concur that you don’t ‘HAVE’ to get a lift to fit 35s. I had 35s on my old sport for two weeks before it got it’s lift and had no problems with on road driving. As long as you don’t have to flex the suspension it is possible.

Now it’s the wheels you should look at a bit closer. My old Jeep had 17s with 6” of backspacing (Fuel Beasts). You should investigate that a bit further to insure you have no rubbing.

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
I just completed the Rubicon Suspension swap on my JLU sport. I had 57/58 and 87/88 to bigin with. I swapped out for a set of 89/90 and 61/62. I think it was 61. There was no tag and it was slightly smaller than the 62. Easy swap just took off shocks and bolt out of lowers control arms to get springs out (made sure there was slack in all wires and connections.)

Here are the specs

Driver front 36 pre to 37-3/4 post
Pass front 36–1/4 to 37-7/8 post
Driver rear 37-1/8 to 38-1/2 post
Pass rear 37-1/8 to 38-3/8 post.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!