Sponsored

Need general advice on breaking in a new Jeep - and taking road trips.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I just got news from my dealership that my 2021 2 doors Rubicon came in yesterday and I am planning to pick it up early next week. I know that many of you are veteran driver - do you have any advice on do and don't with a new Jeep while I am "breaking" it in?

Some wonderful fellow forum here advised that I should try not to drive above 50 mph on my new Jeep until I hit at least 500 miles.

Also - for Rubicon owner, I know that this is a weird question - but are there any advice on what to do (and what not to do) when I get my Rubicon.

I am planning to take a road trip from close to New York City to Bar Harbor in Maine next month - stopping along a few places, there should be approximate 20 hours of driving. Is it too early to be making such trip on a brand new Rubicon? I have been driving topless on my current Jeep and the experience has been exhilarating and I cannot wait to try it driving through some scenic route. If it is not advisable to take a new Jeep on a long road trip, I can always drive my CRV. I just want to make sure that I will not be breaking anything since I am planning to upgrade this Jeep with stuffs and planning to keep it for a long time.

I am planning to use a soft top so that I can somewhat go topless while driving my Jeep on a nice day, are there anything that I should be mindful of in using this soft top?

Any advice on doing road trip with soft top on? I know that I should not leave my items unattended but should I be aware of anything else? I have never travel long distance with a Jeep before.

Thank you so much for your advise. This forum has greatly helped me in configuring my new Jeep, along with all the cool stuff that a Jeep can do. I would not know what to do without you peeps here. I truly appreciate you. :like:
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
The conventional wisdom with motorcycles is to avoid lugging the engine and also avoid constant rpms for the first couple hundred miles. I’ve done some fly and ride purchases with a long freeway slog back and just alternated between 5th and 6th and didn’t use cruise control.

i think with modern engines there isn’t much to “break in” other than don’t lug the motor (more of a thing with a manual) and don’t bang it off the rev limiter over and over. With my sport, I just drove it relatively sane off the lot and ran the speed limit on the freeways.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Drive it for 10 miles at 10mph, then stop, get out and walk around the jeep (this is to allow proper timing, also look for anything out of place). Next drive it 20 miles at 20mph, stop - get out - walk around the jeep (this time do it backwards so you can see it from a diff perspective - make sure everything is in good condition). Drive it another 30 miles and at 30mph, then speed up to 50pm and go 10 miles.
Most importantly, stop and this time hop on your left foot circling the Jeep.
Congrats! :rock:

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Step 1: Try to “unintentionally” scratch the paint in the first month. Down to the metal is best.
Step2: Go down trails that have the potential for pinstriping... you won’t feel bad because none of the damage is worse than your first scratch.
Step 3: Enjoy your Jeep

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I just got news from my dealership that my 2021 2 doors Rubicon came in yesterday and I am planning to pick it up early next week. I know that many of you are veteran driver - do you have any advice on do and don't with a new Jeep while I am "breaking" it in?

Some wonderful fellow forum here advised that I should try not to drive above 50 mph on my new Jeep until I hit at least 500 miles.

Also - for Rubicon owner, I know that this is a weird question - but are there any advice on what to do (and what not to do) when I get my Rubicon.

I am planning to take a road trip from close to New York City to Bar Harbor in Maine next month - stopping along a few places, there should be approximate 20 hours of driving. Is it too early to be making such trip on a brand new Rubicon? I have been driving topless on my current Jeep and the experience has been exhilarating and I cannot wait to try it driving through some scenic route. If it is not advisable to take a new Jeep on a long road trip, I can always drive my CRV. I just want to make sure that I will not be breaking anything since I am planning to upgrade this Jeep with stuffs and planning to keep it for a long time.

I am planning to use a soft top so that I can somewhat go topless while driving my Jeep on a nice day, are there anything that I should be mindful of in using this soft top?

Any advice on doing road trip with soft top on? I know that I should not leave my items unattended but should I be aware of anything else? I have never travel long distance with a Jeep before.

Thank you so much for your advise. This forum has greatly helped me in configuring my new Jeep, along with all the cool stuff that a Jeep can do. I would not know what to do without you peeps here. I truly appreciate you. :like:
drive the tires off the thing!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Drive it for 10 miles at 10mph, then stop, get out and walk around the jeep (this is to allow proper timing, also look for anything out of place). Next drive it 20 miles at 20mph, stop - get out - walk around the jeep (this time do it backwards so you can see it from a diff perspective - make sure everything is in good condition). Drive it another 30 miles and at 30mph, then speed up to 50pm and go 10 miles.
Most importantly, stop and this time hop on your left foot circling the Jeep.
Congrats! :rock:
unless you’re on the Southern Hemisphere, in which case you use your right foot.

wait, circle clockwise or counterclockwise?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@KenPewPew

congrat on the new ride. as far as break in period. just drive like you normally do and do not use the cruise control. its best to let the rmp fluxuate while driving at least 1000 miles. when i got my jl in may, i put on about 1000 miles (mostly town) before i hit the road to ky and back to ny about 1300 miles. then another 1300 mile round trip to tn and back. the road trip was smooth and the mpg was great. so enjoy it. btw any pics of the new jl.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Drive and enjoy it. The engine is ready to go. Some really interesting suggestions here. New engine tech requires no break in. Do as you wish, but it is a waste of time to do a silly regiment like some are saying.
Whatever floats your boat.
Congrats on the new ride BTW.

Sam

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

They are made to drive in this automotive age.
Keep the maintenance up and the RPM's down . . . and you're golden.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Thank you so much for all the advice along with the hilarious comments. :LOL: I really appreciate all. I will be picking up my Jeep next week - and aside from the word Rubicon on it I think it look identical to my current Jeep. Haha. I will post some photos when I get my new ride. You peeps are the best!!! :like:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Personally, I would default to the owners manual page 209:

“ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.“

So, to prepare for your trip, get 300 miles on your vehicle following the recommendations above. Then, there are no more worries when you go on your trip. Drive as you wish.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
There is more to "breaking in" a vehicle than engine break in. There isn't much to break in with modern engines. They all have roller cams some even have plasma molly rings, which seat almost instantly. But, we still have gears in our transmissions, transfer cases and axles. The best way to break in any vehicle is varying loads and varying speeds for say the first 500 miles. Let the engine get completely up to temperature during your ride. (try to avoid starting it, getting the engine up to only 140 degrees then shutting it off) Plenty of heat cycles. Let the transmission get completely up to temp if it's an auto. Don't start it, drive down the block and shut it down for 2 hours. Do your daily commute. Try to avoid long highway stretches (as in hours). No constant super low speeds either. Don't baby it, but don't beat on it right off the bat either. Some light pedal driving, some moderate pedal, some full throttle after 80-100 miles are all good for the vehicle. Let it go up and down through the gears. If it's a manual try not to shift too early, let it rev a little. Having these various loads and rpms and heat-up/cool-down cycles will allow all of the gears to seat and get a nice wear pattern. Drive it like you're not thinking about it. Not a day at the races and not like you're worried about breaking anything.
If you don't do this will it damage anything? No. But will it be a more quiet drive train and probably last a little longer? Yeah probably. I just traded in my hellcat. I know plenty of guys who just bought them and did burn outs from day one. They never broke anything, but most of them did complain how there rear trended to whine a little or some excessive smoke at startup, or burning a little oil. This jeep is the first vehicle I've had with less than 500hp since 2009 and I've never had issues with rear ends that whine, manual gear boxes that are overly loud or smoke at start up. My last 4 Hemi engine cars puffed a little blue smoke at start up for the first 500-1000 miles then never again. I never even came close to having to add oil to any of them between changes. A little self control for 500 miles then thousands of worry free miles.

ESS is new to me, but I turn it off while breaking in the my jeep. Not sure if it's necessary or not, but it makes sense to me to let the engine run during break in. Don't worry about little puffs of blue smoke.
Sponsored