First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My wife and I have decided to take a road trip from Texas to NC for our anniversary this summer in June. We are not completely set on exactly where yet. I’m looking for your recommendations as to where’s a nice place to visit for a pleasant, scenic getaway. However, I probably will not particularly enjoy a lot of the crap she will want to do. So where’s a place where there are a good concentration of trails to wheel within a fairly small radius? If some of them are scenic and not particularly challenging that’s a bonus because she’s not into hardcore rock crawling that I prefer. Suggestions?
Sponsored

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I have decided to take a road trip from Texas to NC for our anniversary this summer in June. We are not completely set on exactly where yet. I’m looking for your recommendations as to where’s a nice place to visit for a pleasant, scenic getaway. However, I probably will not particularly enjoy a lot of the crap she will want to do. So where’s a place where there are a good concentration of trails to wheel within a fairly small radius? If some of them are scenic and not particularly challenging that’s a bonus because she’s not into hardcore rock crawling that I prefer. Suggestions?
For scenic you want Nantahala Forest or Pisgah Forest area. For wheeling, the only place is Uwharrie.

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Uwharrie. Avoid the D trail names. Dutch, Dickie, Daniel.
The 3 D's used to be the challenging part of the trail system, really it should just be the 2 D's to avoid. Dutch John really isn't anything anymore to worry about since they filled in half the trail, nothing extreme at all anymore. If it is really wet out, then it can add some challenge but otherwise don't be too afraid if you want a little bit of more wheeling vs a little rough trail in the mix.

Dicky Bell really is just the rock garden portion in the middle that you will want to avoid if your wife doesn't want anything rough. Last year the bypass was actually worse then the main wall, I haven't been yet this year to verify.

Definitely avoid Daniel, specifically the front side.

The good thing about Uwharrie is they have tons of breaks in the trail you can break off if things get too challenging without having to backtrack too far.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would go up through North Georgia into the mountains near Cashiers. That’s where you are firing to find the most scenic trails. But nothing challenging.

Sponsored

DesertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB: JLU.
The 3 D's used to be the challenging part of the trail system, really it should just be the 2 D's to avoid. Dutch John really isn't anything anymore to worry about since they filled in half the trail, nothing extreme at all anymore. If it is really wet out, then it can add some challenge but otherwise don't be too afraid if you want a little bit of more wheeling vs a little rough trail in the mix.

Dicky Bell really is just the rock garden portion in the middle that you will want to avoid if your wife doesn't want anything rough. Last year the bypass was actually worse then the main wall, I haven't been yet this year to verify.

Definitely avoid Daniel, specifically the front side.

The good thing about Uwharrie is they have tons of breaks in the trail you can break off if things get too challenging without having to backtrack too far.
I only know Uwharrie from a Tacomas aspect back in 15-16. Jeeps probably fair better. We broke tail lights every trip with the tacomas. Except for the one Tacoma on 40s. He didn’t have any issues anywhere.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The outer banks is always a good time. I will be camping on Cape Lookout at the end of May. You are probably to late to get a reservation on a ferry out to Cape Lookout, but hey the Outer Banks is a big place with plenty to do. Most of the Outer Banks are accessible with out the use of a a Ferry. There are places on the Outer Banks where you can drive your Jeep on the beach and watch wild horses run free. Sunrise on the ocean is always nice. I stayed up on Duck Island years ago and it was cool. Watched dolphins playing is the surf while drinking coffee one morning.

If you want to wheel, Uwharrie is a great place to wheel. You will be able to do the the 3 d trails without any real issues. Your Jeep is set up well enough for them. I like wheeling at Uwharrie.

If you get to Raleigh, and want steaks, I would suggest a restaurant named Death and Taxes. they do aged steaks and it is an awesome meal. Pricey.... but hey you own a Jeep, you will recover...

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
There are tons of fire roads in western NC, especially outside Asheville and heading towards Brevard. Another good drive is old US 105 , then pick a route over to the Globe that takes you up into Blowing Rock. Beautiful drives and lots of things to do ... whether around Asheville (Beer City USA a number of years) or around Boone/Blowing Rock area.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would go up through North Georgia into the mountains near Cashiers. That’s where you are firing to find the most scenic trails. But nothing challenging.
This is fairly close to where we will be. Anywhere specific? I’m not familiar with the area.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@UNC Rubicon might be more familiar than I am out that way. Haven’t been out to the Asheville area yet since I’ve owned the Jeep.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is fairly close to where we will be. Anywhere specific? I’m not familiar with the area.
I've heard good things about Gorges State Park. I'd look into that.

We've run Charlie's Creek Trail which is in Georgia but not too far from there. There is also Brown Mountain which is ok.

Gulches is a couple of hours from there but it's a great park.

Mostly there are just forest roads around there to explore.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
Not sure how west you're looking to go, but about an hour and a half west of Waynesville, NC is Tail of the Dragon. 11 miles 318 curves if you're into that sorta thing. The drive there is very nice and scenic. Certainly on-road, but a fun drive if you're in the area. I took the 4xe there on a trip a few weeks ago and it handled way better than I expected.

Windrock Park in Oliver Springs, TN is about 2 hours from Waynesville. It's the biggest privately owned off-road park in the US I believe. Place is humungous, used to be an old coal mine if I recall. They have trails for all levels of difficulty. Recommend a visit there if you're willing to drive. Definitely worth the drive.
Sponsored