Sponsored

Need Anti-Spin Differential? Need AT Tires?/Change Order?

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Short story is I ordered a Sahara last week. During the option process I wanted all-terrain tires and mistakenly thought I needed to include the Anti-Spin Differential option to get AT tires. Turns out I could have just ordered the AT tires, but I didn't notice it and the dealer didn't correct me. However, my question is do I need it and related, are the AT tires that much better than the All-Season? I've not really paid much attention during my last 2 times on a lot. And last related, now that I'm coming up on a week in to the ordering process, would I change it? Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would keep the Anti-Spin option because it comes with the D44 rear axle housing. How much does it cost for just the A/T tire package? You might get slightly better highway MPG with the All Season Tire if you are concerned with fuel economy and maybe a slightly smoother ride.

OP
OP
goracers

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Not worried too much on the MPG, just wondered if I needed the Anti-Spin for $500. I'll have to go back and figure out the difference for just the tire package. I like the look of the rougher tires, which is why I chose the AT over AS.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Good to know. They have changed the order guide on this every time. Used to be you needed alternate wheels or Anti-Spin to get them.

OP
OP
goracers

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stopped by a dealer today just to look at the tire/wheel options. Despite the order process on Jeep.com, there were AT tires on the original wheel at the dealer. Looked at the sticker and confirmed. Not a biggie, but looks like I did not need to pay a wheel upgrade for AT.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
You probably don't need it, but I would still keep the LSD option, and I would much rather have All-Terrain tires than All-Season.

I would definitely get the SelecTrac option if I was ordering the Sahara.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Stopped by a dealer today just to look at the tire/wheel options. Despite the order process on Jeep.com, there were AT tires on the original wheel at the dealer. Looked at the sticker and confirmed. Not a biggie, but looks like I did not need to pay a wheel upgrade for AT.
Just to confirm, those Jeeps did not have Anti-Spin?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just to confirm, those Jeeps did not have Anti-Spin?
Did you see a price for the A/T tire upgrade on the window sticker? Is there a upgrade charge for the A/T tires by themselves?

OP
OP
goracers

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you see a price for the A/T tire upgrade on the window sticker? Is there a upgrade charge for the A/T tires by themselves?
There is not a charge for the AT tires by themselves. There was a charge for the upgraded wheel.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
There is not a charge for the AT tires by themselves. There was a charge for the upgraded wheel.
So you are saying you can order the A/T tires on the Sahara for no additional cost without needing to order the Anti Spin or upgraded wheels? This I did not know.

Sponsored

bafrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
When I ordered my Sahara, the Bridgestone Dueler All-Terrains could only be added with the addition of the Anti-Spin Diff. Rear Axle ($595 MSRP). The system would not allow the All-Terrains alone, though they appear as a $0 option on the order sheet.

There was an option for Goodyear All-Terrains, but it looked like the upgraded wheels needed to be added to get them.

OP
OP
goracers

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Okay, so I think I have the setup figured out. On Sport S and Sahara models, in order to get A/T tires, you must either take the LSD or upgraded wheels option.
On Sport model, you must take the LSD to get the A/T tires as there is no upgraded wheels option. And the Rubicon has all of the above included standard.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Little clarity to muck things up: Sport S w/ manual requires LSD, which automatically gives you all terrains. Before mid-January LSD was option only. Since mid-January Jeep auto adds LSD when choosing manual. Most dealers won’t pay attention, but you CAN choose wether you get Goodyear or Bridgestone all terrains. Have to choose the correct 3 letter code. TTC = Goodyear. Choosing LSD gets you $1500 worth of tires for free. But the upgraded wheels are not required.

All season tires are basic car tires, crossover SUV tires - think Honda CRV. All terrain tires are better for a Jeep, unless you plan to never leave the pavement.

Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...my question is do I need it and related, are the AT tires that much better than the All-Season?
I just built my own Sahara on Saturday. I had the benefit of test driving a Sahara on the lot which DIDN'T have either the AT tires or anti-spin differential. My friend has a JL with both and let me drive it. I went through and added the anti-spin and AT tires, but I'll give you my honest feedback on both. The AT tires are considerably noisier than the regular AW tires. My friend also suspects they had a slightly negative impact on gas mileage. I only got the premium soft top, so that wasn't a small factor to weigh when designing my daily-driver. However, I still added the AT+AS because I go camping and do some very light wheeling (only greens at Rausch Creek and I stick to forest trails to my camping sights). When I took my friend's JLU with the AT+AS off road, it was a noticeable upgrade over the standard equipment I test drove on the Jeep test course (near the dealership). Those tires felt like they were coated in glue and the anti-spin gave me confidence that I was always in control. So the trade-off (added noise and maybe worse mileage) was justified given the added off-road capabilities.
Sponsored