Need Advice (Paint issue 392)

NorCal392

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M5, F150, Chevy 3500 Dually
I already posted this to one other forum. Thought I would post here too since I have been following both forums since ordering in November of 2020. See below.

I ordered my Jeep 392 back in November (I’m in Northern California). I just recently (and finally) took delivery (VIN678137). I ordered Crystal Granite with half doors. Shortly after delivery I noticed the paint seemed more brown with gold, rather than crystal granite (at least from what I have seen on the web). Today I finally got around to trying on the half doors and taking the top off….. that’s when I really noticed the paint. The half doors appeared grey (crystal granite)…. The rest of the Jeep more brown. Additionally, the fenders and small corner pieces beneath the windshield were a different grey (crystal granitish)…… so…… I called the dealer (they have been great). I’m scheduled to bring it in Monday for them to document and reach out to Jeep. What is everyone’s thoughts? This seems crazy on such an expensive vehicle. Additionally, when I removed the tops, there was masking tape left on the metal beneath the freedom top and it was painted over and left a deep line/gash in the metal/paint (granted this is nothing in the grand scheme of things). Anyways…. See attached photos and please give me your best advice. Cheers.

8FD8E513-8BAA-4967-9F3A-E32E47253DF7.jpeg

DBDA8093-6C22-48EE-ACEA-C8FCE411FBE7.jpeg

8B05CF13-5949-4F7D-A15A-A5B8660EF056.jpeg

343A07F4-362E-435B-8DE9-F9CD4D466650.jpeg
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Looks like you've got not two, but three shades of GCM going on there.

That ain't right, but what's the remedy? I have no clue. I wouldn't trust a dealer to have the capability to fix this. I guess you could demand a new set of half doors, but no guarantees there.

I'm stumped. Sorry. But I do feel your pain.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Granite Crystal should have a slight brown look to it, hence the granite in it;s name. The doors and the cowl corners look like they definitely do not match.

Did the half doors come with it, or did they get shipped later?

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats! I was hoping they’d make a matte black for the 392 but it’s still standard Jeep paint.

The front diver’s side panel does look off. Hopefully they’ll make it right by you 👍🏼

OP
OP

NorCal392

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the quick replies. The half doors shipped with it (corresponding VIN on the boxes).

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Do the full doors match the fenders and hood?

A good body shop should be able to repaint the outside of the doors to match the rest of the Jeep with no problem. Don't let the dealer do it.

OP
OP

NorCal392

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The full doors appear to match the main body. However, the fenders, half doors, and that other little cowl piece are all more grey.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Hmm, this isn't the first time that issue has been reported here with Granite Crystal. QC must be suffering at the plant with employees being hard to retain and demand being so high.

Definitely disappointing. New paint on the half doors is one thing, but trying to get the whole Jeep to match is another. That piece of masking tape with paint on it is sure suspicious. Look for over spray, tape lines or anything else that points to a major repair. A major repair has to be disclosed to the buyer.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It breaks my heart to say it, especially on a new vehicle, but that looks terrible. I have Granite Crystal paint and it definitely doesn’t look as brown as what’s on the fender and hood. Granted, the cowl pieces on the JL are plastic, painted separately and often do not match the rest of the vehicle 100%.

In my opinion, your best bet is getting your dealer to work with Jeep to get your 1/2 doors and cowl pieces re-sprayed to match as closely as possible the rest of the vehicle. Going the other way, having the vehicle painted to match the 1/2 doors and cowl pieces will likely be a harder color match as there’s way more to paint.

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
My gut says it’s been damaged and repaired/painted in those damaged spots. The painted over tape worries me as well. if this made it past quality control at the factory, shame on Jeep. I hate it for you and hope your dealer/Jeep offer an amicable solution.

Sponsored

Godot

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Misc.
I already posted this to one other forum. Thought I would post here too since I have been following both forums since ordering in November of 2020. See below.

I ordered my Jeep 392 back in November (I’m in Northern California). I just recently (and finally) took delivery (VIN678137). I ordered Crystal Granite with half doors. Shortly after delivery I noticed the paint seemed more brown with gold, rather than crystal granite (at least from what I have seen on the web). Today I finally got around to trying on the half doors and taking the top off….. that’s when I really noticed the paint. The half doors appeared grey (crystal granite)…. The rest of the Jeep more brown. Additionally, the fenders and small corner pieces beneath the windshield were a different grey (crystal granitish)…… so…… I called the dealer (they have been great). I’m scheduled to bring it in Monday for them to document and reach out to Jeep. What is everyone’s thoughts? This seems crazy on such an expensive vehicle. Additionally, when I removed the tops, there was masking tape left on the metal beneath the freedom top and it was painted over and left a deep line/gash in the metal/paint (granted this is nothing in the grand scheme of things). Anyways…. See attached photos and please give me your best advice. Cheers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Advice (Paint issue 392) 343A07F4-362E-435B-8DE9-F9CD4D466650

Jeep Wrangler JL Need Advice (Paint issue 392) 343A07F4-362E-435B-8DE9-F9CD4D466650

You are 1000% right. The colors are whack. When you get to the dealership tomorrow make sure they let you put it beside a granite crystal vehicle they have there. The dealership deals with reps who have access to Jeep while we, as customers, really do not. I would definitely have a compensation in mind for the dealership to request from Jeep on your behalf - i.e. free 35" tires, 2 extra years of oil changes, $5,000 off on your next jeep... good for 5 years, seat covers, a combo of things. I teach assertiveness skill usage (not hate/anger). You've gotten a 392 that shouldn't have passed inspection. They should fix the situation quickly and offer additional compensation for the trouble/replacement delays. Have dealership manager do the reaching out and let them know what you want (i.e. new 392) and what additional compensation. Jeep should also provide a lent vehicle while you are getting remedied.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
For what it’s worth, my cowl covers are definitely a different shade than everything else. Sting gray

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
does it seems to have been in body shop? fender/door hinge bolts have any tool marks? I know for a fact lots of new vehicle went thought body shop with shipping damage and sold as new vehicle. The law varies state by state but it happens more often than you think..

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
The painted flares and the pieces at the bottom of the A pillar seem to always look different in bright sunlight, guessing it is a result of the different underlaying materials (plastics and not metal), are the half doors also plastic? I like the bronze looking colour and the way it changes in the light but at least mine is consistent over the vehicle other than what I have mentioned but that is typical of the colour, if the half doors are plastic this may be an issue that is hard to resolve.
Sponsored