Sponsored

Need Advice: Order the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle on 21 JL?????

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Novice question: what are the daily driver benefits of the anti-spin differential rear axle, if any? I'm about to order a two-door 2021 Sport S and I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting. I live in New Orleans so there's no snow or ice and I do not intend to do any hardcore off-roading, although many of our streets do resemble a third world country. I want to be cable of leaving the pavement on non-technical trails, handling wet/muddy/sloppy conditions and tackle snow and ice if I'm out of town, but the vast majority of my driving will be on city streets. I'm not necessarily concerned with the cost of the upgrade, but if I simply don't need it for my expected use or if there are increased maintenance and repair concerns with the anti-slip differential rear axle then I may pass on it. Any insights for or against would be appreciated.
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
It's nice because it gets you the bigger Dana 44 rear axle. It's not nice because the limited slip differential in the JL has a tendency to self-destruct:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

Which to summarize is 83 pages of people replacing (sometimes multiple) complete rear axle assemblies because of this issue.

I have the LSD in my MOAB, and so far I haven't had any issue with it, but I have done some preventative cleaning to try and keep it in working order. However, if I were to go buy another new JL today, I personally would avoid any that have the LSD.

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
It's nice because it gets you the bigger Dana 44 rear axle. It's not nice because the limited slip differential in the JL has a tendency to self-destruct:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/

Which to summarize is 83 pages of people replacing (sometimes multiple) complete rear axle assemblies because of this issue.

I have the LSD in my MOAB, and so far I haven't had any issue with it, but I have done some preventative cleaning to try and keep it in working order. However, if I were to go buy another new JL today, I personally would avoid any that have the LSD.
Thank you. I've read several threads on it and your opinion seems to line up pretty well with most people commenting on my intended use. I usually tend to "upgrade" everything I buy just in case, but this might be one instance where I back off and go for simplicity since it's still a Wrangler and not like the LSD makes or breaks light off-road and bad weather conditions.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Thank you. I've read several threads on it and your opinion seems to line up pretty well with most people commenting on my intended use. I usually tend to "upgrade" everything I buy just in case, but this might be one instance where I back off and go for simplicity since it's still a Wrangler and not like the LSD makes or breaks light off-road and bad weather conditions.
I typically would opt for any option that gets me a D44 but at the same time, if you skip the LSD you still have the JL's default brake lock differential which is really good at what it does. It's kind of like Crawl Control on Toyotas, but on all the time. In an off road obstacle scenario it'll detect wheelspin and brake the spinning wheel so that power is routed to the wheel that needs the power. Its definitely slower than the LSD to react (which means a bit more fanfare going over obstacles) but it's lightyears ahead of a regular old open diff with no tech.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Ours has one, mostly because I like them in the sand. Also, if you aren't planning to upgrade immediately you get the AT tires. They aren't the Rubicon KO2s, but better than the stock street stuff.

I definitely prefer it to getting stuck on the beach somewhere because a couple of tires lost traction.

That said, well aware it could possibly be a time bomb. If it starts acting up will be a good time to swap to an air locker or something else.

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Ours has one, mostly because I like them in the sand. Also, if you aren't planning to upgrade immediately you get the AT tires. They aren't the Rubicon KO2s, but better than the stock street stuff.

I definitely prefer it to getting stuck on the beach somewhere because a couple of tires lost traction.

That said, well aware it could possibly be a time bomb. If it starts acting up will be a good time to swap to an air locker or something else.
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to upgrade the wheels and tires with some Rubicon or similar take-offs so the tires aren't a big deal.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I prefer having the anti spin axle. I've had trucks with a non limited slip axle and hate when you go over a tall tight turn and one wheel looses traction and you have that one wheel peel.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Novice question: what are the daily driver benefits of the anti-spin differential rear axle, if any? I'm about to order a two-door 2021 Sport S and I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting. I live in New Orleans so there's no snow or ice and I do not intend to do any hardcore off-roading, although many of our streets do resemble a third world country. I want to be cable of leaving the pavement on non-technical trails, handling wet/muddy/sloppy conditions and tackle snow and ice if I'm out of town, but the vast majority of my driving will be on city streets. I'm not necessarily concerned with the cost of the upgrade, but if I simply don't need it for my expected use or if there are increased maintenance and repair concerns with the anti-slip differential rear axle then I may pass on it. Any insights for or against would be appreciated.

I had a 2015 2 door JK without the anti-spin. I lived in MS at the time and didn't think much about it. I traded it for a JKU 2016 WITH the anti-spin and realized that on wet rainy roads, I could punch the throttle and not have to worry about losing traction. The 2015 would slide all over the over the road when I punched the throttle.

I recently ordered a '21 JL 2 door and made sure it had the anti-spin. I will never drive another vehicle unless it's all wheel drive (as in the case of my Honda Ridgeline) or has an anti-spin differential. I live near Houston, TX and have to deal with the rain on the roads as do you.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I only got about a year and a half out of the LSD, now my rear is a open diff and I assume the lsd clutches are completely worn away.
thats with some hard trails and about 15 weekends off-roading and it’s done

I always planned to do a rear locker anyway, I havent noticed any issues with the rear as some report which is nice until I get the locker in there

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Thanks everyone. I placed my order on Friday and decided against the LSD on the advice I’ve received here based on my intended driving, the potential for mechanical problems and the advice of the dealer. Looking forward to top down doors off freedom.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The Traction control and brake lock diff features work well. You'll be fine and have less Maint issues.
Sponsored