Need advice on used Unlimited Rubicon

Red Dog

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Commander, 4.7, Quadratrack II
Well, after the tax man got my Gladiator reserve $ I need to rethink my purchase. Now looking for a used Rubicon 4dr. Can someone point me to a thread or good place to get the info I need to make an informed decision? Prices seem pretty decent in North Texas on these but I need to make sure im getting a reliable Rubicon. Is there a year model to start or stay away from? Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well, after the tax man got my Gladiator reserve $ I need to rethink my purchase. Now looking for a used Rubicon 4dr. Can someone point me to a thread or good place to get the info I need to make an informed decision? Prices seem pretty decent in North Texas on these but I need to make sure im getting a reliable Rubicon. Is there a year model to start or stay away from? Thanks in advance guys!
If looking for a JK, you'll want a 2012 and later (stay away from the 2009-2011 years). If looking for a JL, there aren't too many differences other than the '19's have a few extras that weren't available in 2018 (here's the forum thread on the topic). There's not too much difference b/w the '18's and '19's.

I'd recommend getting the VIN from your prospects and validating that particular vehicle does/doesn't have any recall data. There was a series of JL's that ran into welding issues that are of concern, and that would become evident via a VIN search here: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Hope that helps!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
If it’s not a DD the 09-11 years are fine. It’s certainly underpowered, but you’ll get them for cheaper and who cares if it’s a toy/second vehicle. The 3.8 was a reliable engine, just underpowered.

OP
OP

Red Dog

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Commander, 4.7, Quadratrack II
Thanks to both of you! This will be a DD so 2012 and above makes mor since. Appreciate the links. Really wanted to trade my Commander (250k miles) in and use It towards a Gladiator but that’s May have to wait a while, dangit! Well, at least I feel patriotic, lol!
Sponsored