Need Advice On Budget Lift.

BroJrod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I recently purchased a 2018 JLU Rubicon. This is my daily driver vehicle for the most part. I want to lift it and get that front sag gone, but I also want to keep the factory wheels. Will eventually step up to a 295/70-R17 or a 35 when these tires need to be replaced. Was wanting some input and options on the best route for me take. Thank you and God Bless
Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I run the 2.5 inch spacer lift from rough country. You could get just a spacer leveling kit if youre not looking for any additional height. 35s will fit on a stock rubicon

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I run the 2.5 inch spacer lift from rough country. You could get just a spacer leveling kit if youre not looking for any additional height. 35s will fit on a stock rubicon
I highly recommend the Daystar spacer kit for a minimal lift. It's less than 300 dollars and actually includes the lower control arms to correct caster.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You have 2 options.

Get the ideal lift now or work with a spacer lift that specifically caters to front sag.

Have you measured how much you're sagging in the front? I recommend teraflex or rough country spacers both works if you're installing them yourself. Just doesnt make sense to pay somebody $300 to install some front spacers that you got off amazon for $100.

If you're going to get a full suspension lift kit. Your options are completely open at this point but you should also take in consideration of eventual load. Are you installing a ton of accessories?

I hold 600lbs of fixed load daily and I am looking for Heavy duty springs. So far only Icon and ARB caught my eyes. You would only want to look at 2.5 inch lifts.

If its only less than 2-300lbs of extra load above stock (without passengers) then i suggest metalcloak 2.5 inch lift for your eventual 35s.

If you don't plan on spending too much money on a decent suspension lift that will accommodate 35s then I suggest AEV. Comes with the calibration tool to get you all setup for 35s.

But remember - at the end of the day - you get what you pay for.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
not really "budget" however I just installed the Rancho Sport 2" lift. I don't know if I'd consider them HD but the springs are definitely stiffer than OEM's, and the ability to adjust the rear shocks has helped with sagging from carrying a load. Depending on which shock you get it ranges from 600-900. I did go with their 9000xl shock that gives you the ability to adjust the cush. so far I love it, I threw some Patigonia 315's (35's) on also. I love the look of a stock JLUR here is some photo's for reference:
without any references it looks almost stock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need Advice On Budget Lift. lift

comparison with stock JLUR.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need Advice On Budget Lift. lift edited

Sponsored

OP
OP
BroJrod

BroJrod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You have 2 options.

Get the ideal lift now or work with a spacer lift that specifically caters to front sag.

Have you measured how much you're sagging in the front? I recommend teraflex or rough country spacers both works if you're installing them yourself. Just doesnt make sense to pay somebody $300 to install some front spacers that you got off amazon for $100.

If you're going to get a full suspension lift kit. Your options are completely open at this point but you should also take in consideration of eventual load. Are you installing a ton of accessories?

I hold 600lbs of fixed load daily and I am looking for Heavy duty springs. So far only Icon and ARB caught my eyes. You would only want to look at 2.5 inch lifts.

If its only less than 2-300lbs of extra load above stock (without passengers) then i suggest metalcloak 2.5 inch lift for your eventual 35s.

If you don't plan on spending too much money on a decent suspension lift that will accommodate 35s then I suggest AEV. Comes with the calibration tool to get you all setup for 35s.

But remember - at the end of the day - you get what you pay for.
Well said! You are correct about getting what you pay for. I was looking to keep the factory wheels that way my wife wouldn't be complaining.... is that possible? Or new wheels are a must do to back spacing?

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well said! You are correct about getting what you pay for. I was looking to keep the factory wheels that way my wife wouldn't be complaining.... is that possible? Or new wheels are a must do to back spacing?
You can always get half inch wheel spacers for now. But why do that when you know you will eventually want to swap the wheels anyways?

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
absolutely! I have no rub issues at all with factory wheels and 315/70r/17's.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have to use any spacers? How was your ride and handling after on road?
No spacers ride is great. from what I have read you wouldn't need spacers on a stock Rubicon until maybe 37's/13.5. However, I have read that you can adjust the steer stop to remedy the rubbing but my current setup hasn't had the need. the following is my reply from another feed on the Rancho 9000xl.

Understand, every Jeep is different and every driver has a different impression on what a "quality" ride/feel is. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. it was exactly what I was looking for.

"I spent the entire 1st year of ownership reviewing, discussing on forums, watching YouTube videos, and talking with my dealer service dept(which even swayed my opinion away from going with the MOPAR). After the year I was confident and comfortable with pulling the trigger on the Rancho setup.

My initial impressions: Nothing long term yet as I have had the Rancho Kit on now for a few days but we did a nice day trip of 200+ miles through the CO mountains(all paved), hoping to get out this weekend to stretch it's legs. The lift definitely nets greater than 2" but less than 3", it is stiffer than stock, I wouldn't say it rides better or worst but it rides different. I noticed as a lot less body roll then before, and for some reason it wanders and as a bit of bump steer only at lower (in town) speeds nothing extreme I can still 1 finger/hand drive it. Overall, it looks great and should perform better on my adventures offroad. Which is why I wanted the slight lift. Now the search begins for LCA's to see if I can address the low speed bump steer/wandering.
Also, I need to try and figure out which shock setting to use on/off road current DD setting is 5 all around"
Sponsored