Sponsored

Need advice on basics of tires and lift.

SCgamecock

First Name
III
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot, Toyota Sequoia
I am ordering a 2020 Sport S JL Unlimited 3.6 6-speed manual next week. I would like to add larger tires right away. I like the look of a lifted unlimited with 37” tires that are not wider than the fender flairs the best.

What are the basics (minimum) of what I would have to do to add 37” tires? Or do I need to compromise and do 35”?

I am confused by my options with: lift/spacers/shocks, wheel/tire width, offset/backspacing, and also gear ratios.

I do not plan on doing much heavy off-roading, or rock crawling, maybe some trails, but nothing to challenging.

Thanks for the advice, opinions, and technical expertise in advance!!
Sponsored

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
Often you will find leftover Rubicon models selling at prices comparable to sport models with numerous options. I would go for a bare bones Rubicon.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Personally, I would wait a while before you do any major mods. Break it in first. If you run into any problems with drive train, engine, axles, steering and such, you will more than likely be left high and dry with the dealer refusing any warranty work due to the mods.
Use the time to research and decide whether you are comfortable with going that route so soon.

Just speaking from experience and from many others who had much difficulties.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I put a Rubicon takeoff suspension, wheels/tires on, after 1000 miles on the JLU Sport S. Now at 8000 trouble free miles, I still love it.

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I put a Rubicon takeoff suspension, wheels/tires on, after 1000 miles on the JLU Sport S. Now at 8000 trouble free miles, I still love it.
I did the same thing on my Sahara. But, even with that, I had to fight the dealer for failed steering parts and a new rear axle that was defective. I was successful with the rear axle, but they refused to replace the bad track bar ( this was before the TSB for new track bar) and after waiting over 40 days for the new drag link, I gave up and went aftermarket drag link and track bar.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
You’re wise to seek counsel in advance...
I bought a leftover ‘18 Sport, 6 cyl, 6 speed.
I got the Mopar lift and new wheels and 35” tires right away. I LOVE it, but will likely have to regear once I can afford it. It definitely is sluggish in 1st and 2nd, but aside from that not too bad with stock gears. I would think 37’s would need regearing right away. It’s spendy if you’re not mechanically inclined (which I am not!).

You’ll love it though. Read here a lot, great advice if you look for it. I’ve made some mist I could have avoided if I searched ahead of time.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would start with a set of axletech4000 and a custom coilover / bypass setup. I would then look at a simple helephant setup to get the thing moving. I would finish with an alignment. <—— just kidding.

I know you mentioned no hardcore stuff or rock crawling, but seriously, I would get out and wheel with it bone stock. Tag along with someone who has a winch. Go have fun, get stuck and see what you’re hanging up on most often and begin your plans from there. Always look for the MVP, minimum viable procedure to correct your needs. Build slowly and enjoy each trail. I think you will find looking back some of your best experiences are going to be in your stock Jeep.

I recently returned from Moab where I was frequently passing on trails people in Jeep’s with 37+ tires, lifts, skids etc, I don’t wheel fast either. Reality was many of these people had spent their way to access not earned it. It was on Cliffhanger that one guy took over an hour to get up an obstacle, tires smoking skids banging. I crawled up without a wisp of smoke, squeal of rubber, not even a bang of metal, simply by selecting a responsible line. They just stared and said, is that a stock JL. Two of them then mentioned the new Jeeps make it all possible, I just waved and went on.

Learn to wheel stock and you will then appreciate the really hard stuff and your new expensive accessories because they make it possible. But, most important you will learn to do it smart and safely.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
37's and the axle gearing of the Sport will make it a dog.
For what you’re talking about I’d suggest the auto unless you plan to regear very soon. The auto would eventually need gears but can compensate by having two extra gears to lose vs the 6 speed. We have the 6 speed and 37s, with the stock Rubi 4.10s it was gutless. Regeared to 5.13s and it woke it back up. Auto is 2k, gears are 2k.

Whoever suggested a leftover Rubi is on to something if you want to wheel with 37s too. A sport/Sahara can do fine but you’re asking a lot more out of them

Brett

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
For what you’re talking about I’d suggest the auto unless you plan to regear very soon. The auto would eventually need gears but can compensate by having two extra gears to lose vs the 6 speed. We have the 6 speed and 37s, with the stock Rubi 4.10s it was gutless. Regeared to 5.13s and it woke it back up. Auto is 2k, gears are 2k.

Whoever suggested a leftover Rubi is on to something if you want to wheel with 37s too. A sport/Sahara can do fine but you’re asking a lot more out of them

Brett
Agree as well that the Auto 8 speed handles bigger tires better than the 6 speed. More gears in the auto and they are closer together. The 6 speed is 1:1 in 4th gear. The Auto is 1:1 in 6th gear.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I am ordering a 2020 Sport S JL Unlimited 3.6 6-speed manual next week. I would like to add larger tires right away. I like the look of a lifted unlimited with 37” tires that are not wider than the fender flairs the best.

What are the basics (minimum) of what I would have to do to add 37” tires? Or do I need to compromise and do 35”?

I am confused by my options with: lift/spacers/shocks, wheel/tire width, offset/backspacing, and also gear ratios.

I do not plan on doing much heavy off-roading, or rock crawling, maybe some trails, but nothing to challenging.

Thanks for the advice, opinions, and technical expertise in advance!!
Like others have stated, drive it for awhile before you make the mods. I ordered a 2020 JLRU. I want larger tires so bad I can taste it. Trying decide between 35" and 37"... with a lift for the 37"s.

Another thing to be aware of. You will see a lot of posts here about Jeep owners installing 35" or even 37" tires on the factory wheels/rims on their Rubicon's. Be sure you are aware that this will void your tire warranty should you have an issue, like a blowout, because the wheel is too narrow. I spoke with a rep from Nitto and he confirmed that your warranty is voided and Nitto will not be held responsible for any consequential damages or loss of life if your tires blowout and you lose control and wreck. Whatever tires you get, check with the manufacturer about wheel size (width) recommendations. I am not saying the aforementioned combinations won't work, but you will be giving up your warranty for any defects that might put you in a bad situation.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you are ordering your Sport (and by your wording in your post, you are) Be SURE to get the anti-spin rear differential option, you get stronger Dana 44, limited slip, and better AT vs lame AS tires, best $560 you can spend w/ the order sheet. I hate myself for not checking that box almost daily!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

On a sport s. You’ll need to do the moose lift. Add Rubi height fenders. Wheel spacers or a nice backspaced wheel. Tire carrier upgrade kit. Brake like relocation kit. New gearing in the axle- this would be the same for the stock Rubi gearing too. Need somthing like 4.88 or 5.13 gears. To keep the thing happily running doesn’t the road. I’d look at a Rubicon base model and go from that platform as the axles are stronger and 1.5” wider off the bat

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For what you're looking to do, I'd stick with 35's and do a 2-3" suspension lift and call it a day.

37's will cause you to have to do multiple other things (regear, stronger driveshaft) at some point due to a few added stresses that the 37" tires will bring.
Sponsored