need advice, lift and tires done

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S. Bought less than a month ago. Immediately had 2.5" Rough Country full suspension lift done and added 20" Fuel Vapor wheels and 33" 305/55R20 Hercules Terra Trac AT II's. I have a small vibration and steering is dramatically worse, feels like the steering wheel is "loose" for lack of better word. Have had tires re-balanced and had caster re-checked, within specs. The shop doing the work does excellent work. That said, not a ton of Jeep work, specifically on the JL. I'm seeking qualified opinions. Don't mind getting necessary parts to get best ride / handling possible with my specific set-up.
Sponsored

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S. Bought less than a month ago. Immediately had 2.5" Rough Country full suspension lift done and added 20" Fuel Vapor wheels and 33" 305/55R20 Hercules Terra Trac AT II's. I have a small vibration and steering is dramatically worse, feels like the steering wheel is "loose" for lack of better word. Have had tires re-balanced and had caster re-checked, within specs. The shop doing the work does excellent work. That said, not a ton of Jeep work, specifically on the JL. I'm seeking qualified opinions. Don't mind getting necessary parts to get best ride / handling possible with my specific set-up.
I'd start with "what it can't be."
If you kept your factory wheels/tires throw them back on for a day or so. Then you'll know if it's the suspension or wheels/tires. I battled something similar for weeks. ended up being that my KM2 tires would not balance.. After 9 tries. Since moved on to NITTO.

OP
OP

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about this. Unfortunately, factory wheels / tires are gone.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Could be a few things:

1. Those tires are E rated. This is a very stiff tire for a jeep.

2. 20 inch wheels with a 33 inch tire will ride rougher, especially with an E rated tire.

3. Your caster may be within spec but still on the lower side. What is the number?

4. There are steering issues with the JL, did you notice anything prior to the lift? Issue may have already been there. Lifting the jeep may have increased the issue.

A steering stabilizer is not the answer. This is the same as putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. You need to cure the issue not try to cover it up.

OP
OP

mrussell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be a few things:

1. Those tires are E rated. This is a very stiff tire for a jeep.

2. 20 inch wheels with a 33 inch tire will ride rougher, especially with an E rated tire.

3. Your caster may be within spec but still on the lower side. What is the number?

4. There are steering issues with the JL, did you notice anything prior to the lift? Issue may have already been there. Lifting the jeep may have increased the issue.

A steering stabilizer is not the answer. This is the same as putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. You need to cure the issue not try to cover it up.
The rough ride isn't an issue. Ride quality is actually super close to stock. We did some re-balancing yesterday and cured the vibration so it was a tire issue I believe. As far as caster, I'm not sure honestly. I will check. I am considering getting adjustable lower control arms and trac bar as a few folks have said this will likely cure my issue.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The rough ride isn't an issue. Ride quality is actually super close to stock. We did some re-balancing yesterday and cured the vibration so it was a tire issue I believe. As far as caster, I'm not sure honestly. I will check. I am considering getting adjustable lower control arms and trac bar as a few folks have said this will likely cure my issue.
An adjustable track bar will re-center your front axle, but won't do much for handling/steering.

Adjustable arms or geometry correction brackets will correct caster. I prefer brackets as they correct the angles of the arms as well resulting in a smoother ride.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You may need MAX CASTER/spec and with "E" RANGE tires(which I use) you NEED your tire air pressure at 28 to 32 PSI--NO MORE !

That will soften your ride and TUNE your steering !

Good luck

JIMBO
Sponsored