Sponsored

Navigation: Where no cell service, GPS or does the Uconnect 4 with 7" Display have enough capability?

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
My search-fu was failing me. Planning a week long off road trip where there will be spotty/non-existent cell service. Aside from my phone (I know I can have maps on it for off line use), is the system in the 2021 JLURD enough or will a secondary hand held GPS unit be needed? Of course I will have paper maps with me (I am paranoid that way) but suspect they will not have all the off road info I need. THX in advance. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-handheld-gps/buying-advice
Sponsored

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The GPS (and XM) in the car doesn't work on cell service, it runs off satellite service so you should be fine in terms of reception. Depending on the trails you're driving, they may or may not show up on your GPS regardless of service or they may only show portions of the trail system.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Man, carry a handheld, it's less than a pound and in the event that your with dead batteries in bfe. I too like paper maps.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I do a lot of hiking and climbing. Use an app on your phone with previously downloaded topo maps then AndroidAuto to display and control from your 8.4 screen. You should be all set. Both roads an trails will be displayed depending upon the topo you use...the only roads that won't show up are the brand new ones cut by logging companies. Personally, I have used Backcountry Navigator all over the Cascades, Indonesia, and Nepal.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Diesel Rubicon, 2008 Chev 3500HD Dually
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
I use my Gaia GPS on my Iphone (Carplay) and never used the GPS on the uconnect... just did a week without cell service for the vast majority of it.

If you're worried about it, carry another phone or grab a Garmin or something. Download maps from Google or a backup service.

If you're really worried about it, carry a Garmin Inreach or rent a Sat phone.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
download the maps to your phone, most smart phones today will use both cell tower location and GPS satellites to locate you, if you loose cell service the phone will use the GPS antenna, but this eats up more battery

the jeep has a GPS antenna with the 7" display despite not having GPS maps, i am pretty sure that the phone ends up using the radios gps antenna. the reason i think this is when i picked up my 2018 jlur new for the first few months google maps always had me start at the Toledo jeep factory

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I use GAIA when I'm driving and have a Garmin Inreach for hiking and communication when I'm out of service. I love the ability to have family track you and be able to check in with them. Puts everybody's mind at ease.

I've had many times where the Jeep GPS doesn't have maps for the locations I travel to.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Gaia FTW!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Gaia is great. I use the NatGeo overlays for trail maps along with Topo and property lines. I spend a lot of time in the national forest, and seeing what trails I’m legally allowed on (and not an ATV or snowmobile trail) and knowing I’m not wandering off federal/ state property is great. Works just fine with the maps downloaded to my phone and connected through CarPlay. Works outside of cell service too.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Gaia is what I use and love it.
Sponsored