Sponsored

Nav motion lockout defeat?

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Has anyone figured out how to defeat the UConnect lockout when the vehicle is in motion? I know some people suggest using voice commands, but that is not the solution I'm looking for.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
In most vehicles navigation input lockout is accomplished by a signal that goes from a vehicle wheel speed sensor to the nav unit. If you tap into this wire you can install a switch that cancels this signal when it’s open and restores it when the switch is in the closed position, so that the lockout can be selectively turned off by the user whenever they desire or left off permanently.

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Ya. That's pretty much what I did to one of my older vehicles. Except instead of installing a switch, I just cut the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire and grounded it lol.

I'm wondering if anyone has the wiring and screen take apart schematics for the JL?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone figured out how to defeat the UConnect lockout when the vehicle is in motion? I know some people suggest using voice commands, but that is not the solution I'm looking for.
For navigation I used my cell phone and the unconnect app. You can enter an address etc. in your phone and send it to the car. I did that frequently with my WK2 Trailhawk, so I assume we will get that ability with the JLUR. There there is also always android auto and the similar for apple.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'm always loathe to start hacking into the factory wiring because you never know what sort of can of worms you're going to open up with the CAN-BUS system.

There are companies out there that make a "lock pick" type device that is supposed to be plug and play and opens up a lot of functionality with the radio's like nav and video and motion or adding additional camera(s).

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'm always loathe to start hacking into the factory wiring because you never know what sort of can of worms you're going to open up with the CAN-BUS system.

There are companies out there that make a "lock pick" type device that is supposed to be plug and play and opens up a lot of functionality with the radio's like nav and video and motion or adding additional camera(s).
Same here, I don’t recommend messing with the head unit, it’s connected to the canbus, and cause all sorts of issues (steering and brakes, and throttle controlled electronically.)

In my WK2 Trailhawk, there was a button to turn on backup camera while moving slow in off-road pages. So you could have it on while moving forward. Maybe we will have same option in JL?

jnutz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Same here, I don’t recommend messing with the head unit, it’s connected to the canbus, and cause all sorts of issues (steering and brakes, and throttle controlled electronically.)

In my WK2 Trailhawk, there was a button to turn on backup camera while moving slow in off-road pages. So you could have it on while moving forward. Maybe we will have same option in JL?
Yes, there’s a button for the back up camera while driving. You don’t need to be going slow though. I’ve used it on the freeway. It only stays on for a short time though. Maybe 5-10 seconds.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
has anyone figured this out yet, per OP message?

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
I thought the Tazer allowed you to do this as one of its options. You had to leave it plugged in all the time.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I thought the Tazer allowed you to do this as one of its options. You had to leave it plugged in all the time.
yes, it does...and the MINI Tazer seems to be a better option, wont hang out. I didnt really want to drop $300 just for this, wasn;t sure if cheaper alternatives

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes, there’s a button for the back up camera while driving. You don’t need to be going slow though. I’ve used it on the freeway. It only stays on for a short time though. Maybe 5-10 seconds.
Yup, a great feature and I use it a lot when pulling a trailer. I just wish it would stay on indefinitely to be used like a unobstructed rearview mirror. It'd be nice to just glance at the screen rather than having to push the button first, which is more distracting than leaving it on.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yup, a great feature and I use it a lot when pulling a trailer. I just wish it would stay on indefinitely to be used like a unobstructed rearview mirror. It'd be nice to just glance at the screen rather than having to push the button first, which is more distracting than leaving it on.
Tazer allows it to stay on indefinitely.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well crap there goes $330. I'm assuming it's the Tazer JL, or not the JL Lite?

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Well crap there goes $330. I'm assuming it's the Tazer JL, or not the JL Lite?
The items I have change using the Tazer: Navigation on while in motion, seat belt chimes off, ESS turned off, lockers locked while in 4WD high, changed the settings for the headlights to led, changed the directional signals to LED, turned on the AUX switches after I installed them and last changed tire size for larger tires.
It is a handy tool if you are inclined to fool around with your Jeep.

045C479C-C5ED-4E61-9BF4-CD4F6B1E2AB3.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
The items I have change using the Tazer: Navigation on while in motion, seat belt chimes off, ESS turned off, lockers locked while in 4WD high, changed the settings for the headlights to led, changed the directional signals to LED, turned on the AUX switches after I installed them and last changed tire size for larger tires.
It is a handy tool if you are inclined to fool around with your Jeep.

045C479C-C5ED-4E61-9BF4-CD4F6B1E2AB3.jpeg
For the Navin motion defeat, does it reboot your system every time you start the vehicle? I read in the release notes that occasionally a reboot of the system, the Uconnect system will reboot
Sponsored