Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I've decided to get an ORV permit for Nauset Beach in Orleans this year
Will be my first time taking the Jeep off pavement (yup... a mall crawler, without the mall)

Anyone else head out here? Would be a family trip for me. Some questions would be:
-Assume there is no such things as bathrooms out here?
-Requires airing down tires to 10 psi. Is this enforced or necessary? Would be worries about rolling the tire off the rim.
-Is there a station to air up? I do have a compressor as well.
-Picked up a hitch rack to bring a cooler and portable Weber (gas) grill. Assume cooking on the beach is permitted?
-Are some times of day better than others?
-Any meet-ups?
-Any thoughts, good to knows or other info work knowing?

Hope to see some of you out there. We're excited and should be a lot of fun. Plan on getting some great pics of the rig out there too
Doors on due to small kids and highway drive to get there :(
There are bathrooms at the entrance in the parking lot.

I air down to 15 lbs. Never had to go lower. Some people don't air down at all. They are usually the people who get stuck.

There is a station to air up. It is a good sized compressor with 3 hoses. On a busy day there will be a line. I have my own compressor and air up in the lot before leaving when there is a long line.

No open fires. Charcoal in a grill is fine. They say not to bury your ashes but I do all the time.

On a busy day get there before they open because they limit the number of vehicles on the beach to 180. Once it's full you wait and when someone leaves they let someone in.

Down time for the Plovers. Closed June 4 and should reopen on July 18 I believe. I like to go early in May before Memorial Day. My favorite time to go is September after Labor day. The first two weeks after labor day no crowds, nice weather and everything is still open.

If you've never driven in sand the general procedure is. Air down. Go in 4H. Stay in 1st and 2nd and keep your RPM a little high. At the first sign of spinning the tires get off the gas unless you are going up a dune. Do not spin and dig a hole. Stop, get in 4L and gradually apply the gas and crawl out.

If you see someone stuck stop and offer help. Next time it could be you that is stuck and needs a quick pull.

Bring some fishing gear. I use a few 10' surf casting rods. There is good fishing and you can land some nice Stripers if they are running. If you need some tackle and bait check out Blackbeard's Bait and Tackle in Eastham.
Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Sandy Neck is down to 0.5 miles of open "driveable" beach because of the plovers.