Sponsored

Nauset Beach in Orleans

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I've decided to get an ORV permit for Nauset Beach in Orleans this year
Will be my first time taking the Jeep off pavement (yup... a mall crawler, without the mall)

Anyone else head out here? Would be a family trip for me. Some questions would be:
-Assume there is no such things as bathrooms out here?
-Requires airing down tires to 10 psi. Is this enforced or necessary? Would be worries about rolling the tire off the rim.
-Is there a station to air up? I do have a compressor as well.
-Picked up a hitch rack to bring a cooler and portable Weber (gas) grill. Assume cooking on the beach is permitted?
-Are some times of day better than others?
-Any meet-ups?
-Any thoughts, good to knows or other info work knowing?

Hope to see some of you out there. We're excited and should be a lot of fun. Plan on getting some great pics of the rig out there too
Doors on due to small kids and highway drive to get there :(
Sponsored

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I've decided to get an ORV permit for Nauset Beach in Orleans this year
Will be my first time taking the Jeep off pavement (yup... a mall crawler, without the mall)

Anyone else head out here? Would be a family trip for me. Some questions would be:
-Assume there is no such things as bathrooms out here?
-Requires airing down tires to 10 psi. Is this enforced or necessary? Would be worries about rolling the tire off the rim.
-Is there a station to air up? I do have a compressor as well.
-Picked up a hitch rack to bring a cooler and portable Weber (gas) grill. Assume cooking on the beach is permitted?
-Are some times of day better than others?
-Any meet-ups?
-Any thoughts, good to knows or other info work knowing?

Hope to see some of you out there. We're excited and should be a lot of fun. Plan on getting some great pics of the rig out there too
Doors on due to small kids and highway drive to get there :(
I also plan on Nauset for the 1st time this year and hopefully moving forward since it is so much closer for me than the CC National Seashore (Which is a worthwhile trip for sure at least one time!). The piping plover nesting bird limitations are what will probably make or break the over sand permit for you. When the birds are nesting, over sand usage is severely limited, which can start around Memorial Day and end around Labor Day. If you can get your use in off season, you will be far less frustrated. As for air, I ran between 10-12 psi for the CC National Seashore and wouldn't do it any other way. I don't think anyone checks your air, but it will be the first thing brought up if you get stuck. Not sure if Nauset has air up stations like the CC National Seashore. Basically be prepared for the piping plovers to run the show as they will limit access for most of the summer.

azski

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (YJ & XJ too)
Occupation
LE / self
Not sure when you plan to go but that area is closed alot. We have a family house in Eastham and get an ORV permit for the week. I have never been aired down at time of inspection and they've never said anything. I do however always go down to about 13-15psi, and they're not doing in person inspections right now last I knew because of covid. I would recommend doing it at least to whatever you feel comfortable with, it does make a difference. Nauset has never been available at times I've been there but there has always been air stations at other areas but its not a bad idea to bring your own just in case. Cooking is usually ok, open fires are not. Don't bring a shovel that just meets the minimum requirements (military shovel), if you actually need to use it you'll be happy to have a real one. I bring one with a cut down handle for easier packing. Those strap style "tire chains" with the rubber block can come in handy if you get stuck and you're alone. FWIW I've been out there in my JLR and my full size pickup truck and didn't have any issues with getting stuck in either one.

OP
OP
Moreace

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disappointing feedback.
Was really excited. Just look forward to driving and hanging out the beach not burdened by all these excessive rules, closings, etc.
Closer to Dennis, but I hear that is only available for short windows around the tide
Better beach driving areas? We're near Dennis.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Have been going to Nauset for 25+ years. It has become increasingly frustrating with the plovers. Limited number of vehicles now and you generally have to go out as a big group in the morning and then line up to come back as a group late afternoon (you canā€™t generally come back and for the when you want). This makes for a long day. There are no bathroom facilities, we bring a bucket and make a privacy area with towels for the ladies. Definitely air down. I generally run 14 or so. The sand can get soft and plenty of people get stuck. Itā€™s a beautiful place but a bit of a challenge with the rules. Off season is great. Iā€™m hoping to try some other Cape beaches this summer assuming my new Jeep comes in time!

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I used on Nantucket and drove the beaches there every summer (modified Toyota pickup back then). Airing down on soft sand beaches like Nauset makes a huge difference, I'd go to at least 15psi possibly 12 or so depending on what you're driving and the beach conditions. There's been some good advice in this thread. Get a decent shovel that can reach under your Jeep a bit if needed (not just the minimum required shovel). I also have a set of GoTreads just in case but I've never used them yet. I plan on getting a Sandy Neck (Barnstable) sticker this year and I'll probably do a week at the National Seashore at some point this summer. If someone arranges some type of meetup/get together at some point this summer I'd stop by.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Sandy Neck better for access and no plovers? Down for Jeep beach drive.
Sandy Neck is a not as "soft" sand compared to the National Seashore/Nauset I believe, it's more course. Sandy Neck does have plovers and at times different areas will close down. That's just a fact of Cape Cod life. Check out the Barnstable website and the trail maps. I think the Sandy Neck water may be warmer also being on the bay side. But, there are the same GW shark signs there as on the lower cape so swim at your own risk. I'm more into fishing and hanging out than swimming myself. But perhaps someone that has driven both beaches can comment with more insight.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Agreed, Sandy Neck sand is a bit coarser, and the beach has a mix of sand and small stones in many areas (except for the tip of Sandy Neck, sand out there is as fine as anywhere on the cape, but the OSV route ends about 1/2 mile before the end). Even so, every time I see the row of RVs on the beach I'm surprised they don't get stuck.

Many more shark sightings on the outer cape ocean beaches vs cape cod bay, check Sharktivity app.

Yes, the plovers really cramp the Jeep style during the peak summer months. Nauset has a program for when the plover population hits a certain lower level that they open the OSV route but keep track of the nesting areas and you need to have an observer walk in front of the vehicle for a stretch. This is also when they use the on-beach and off-beach schedule.

If you can wait until after Labor Day the sticker fees go to about half price for Barnstable and Orleans.

This is Nauset from a couple of weeks ago, off season is my favorite time to go:

Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616171341715

Last edited:

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Few more pictures, Nauset is my favorite of the cape beaches:

Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616181592927

Go all the way to the end of Nauset (the Chatam section) and it opens up wide
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616181668325

I grew up on the cape right around when Jaws came out and we joked about shark sightings, these days it's no joke:
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616181747546

There's dozens of these along the beach

The backside trail:
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616181827519

There's a few cottages like this along the backside:
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616181895548

View of Pleasant Bay along the backside:
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616182176806

Tides here run about an hour later than the ocean side and the back road can get flooded in spots, check your tide chart, and if the booth is manned they will probably give you an update on conditions.

There are air fill-up hoses by the gatehouse but they are turned off from around New Years until early May.
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans 1616182419255

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Few more pictures, Nauset is my favorite of the cape beaches:

Go all the way to the end of Nauset (the Chatam section) and it opens up wide

I grew up on the cape right around when Jaws came out and we joked about shark sightings, these days it's no joke:

There's dozens of these along the beach

The backside trail:

There's a few cottages like this along the backside:

The Pleasant Bay side:

Tides here run about an hour later than the ocean side and the back road can get flooded in spots, check your tide chart, and if the booth is manned they will probably give you an update on conditions.

There are air fill-up hoses by the gatehouse but they are turned off from around New Years until early May.
Great pics! Makes me miss the days of running the beaches of Nantucket. Had some great times fishing and hanging out with friends. Nauset is just a bit of a ride for me where Sandy Neck is more do-able for day trips.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Thank you for sharing the pics @LanceMagnum! Last year didn't work out for us to get a Nauset sticker, but this year will. Here are a few shots from out near P-Town a few years ago...
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans IMG_1520-2

Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans IMG_2546
Jeep Wrangler JL Nauset Beach in Orleans IMG_2545

OP
OP
Moreace

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These beaches all seem to have their own issues.
We are Yarmouth based. Is there a better option?
Is it too much to want to take my family on the beach with a permit and just drive, hang out and then leave when we want? So many restrictions.
Any experience with Sandy Neck beach in Barnstable?

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
These beaches all seem to have their own issues.
We are Yarmouth based. Is there a better option?
Is it too much to want to take my family on the beach with a permit and just drive, hang out and then leave when we want? So many restrictions.
Any experience with Sandy Neck beach in Barnstable?
Theyā€™re all at the mercy of the Piping Plovers. Each beach has its own plus and minus that you have to decide on.... or try them all. Iā€™ll be doing Sandy Neck with possibly a week pass at some point for the National Seashore (but I also have further to travel to them than you).

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Memorial Day Weekend @Nauset

20210531_113916 (1).jpg

20210531_114103.jpg