First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
anyone into nascar? (beside those wondering whats the point of going around in circles at 200 mph) daytona 500 is coming up on sunday feb 16. so lets hear your favorite driver , predictions, comments on anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'll start off. drivers i watch are trux jr, chase elliot, ryan blaney, william byron, kyle busch. for start. would like to see johnson either win daytona 500 or championship. both would be awesome for his retirement. as for the rookies, i think that bell, rydick, and custer will battle their own season. i can see bell winning a race or two with the big boys. chase elliot and ryan blaney as well as william byron should see a couple of wins this year. areo package have changed again, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
Anyone have experience buying tickets at Daytona?

Have plans to drive down Friday, but plans are contingent on my buddy driving from Rochester NY. While weather looks good now, we don't want to buy tix in advance not knowing if the weather may play a factor.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Anyone have experience buying tickets at Daytona?

Have plans to drive down Friday, but plans are contingent on my buddy driving from Rochester NY. While weather looks good now, we don't want to buy tix in advance not knowing if the weather may play a factor.
not sure on the on site tickets purchase. if i recall and if the track still does it, they have the jumbo screen to watch the race from the parking lot. you might get lucky in getting tickets if it not all sold out.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
not sure on the on site tickets purchase. if i recall and if the track still does it, they have the jumbo screen to watch the race from the parking lot. you might get lucky in getting tickets if it not all sold out.
Iā€™ve been going to the 500 for 11 years and drive past the speedway almost every day, never seen that before. There is only one on site parking lot for the race and itā€™s ADA, everything else is offsite and thereā€™s definitely no screens! Sorry!

Sponsored

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Huge NASCAR fan here! #18 Kyle Busch for me! 2015 and 2019 season champion, and all time winningest NASCAR driver...Unfortunately heā€™s not the best super speedway driver, so I donā€™t have super high hopes for him winning, but ya never know, if youā€™re on the lead lap of the 500 on the last lap of it, you can win it.

it may seem boring on TV, but once you see it in person you get a whole new appreciation for it. Iā€™ve also done the nascar experience and actually drove myself 10 laps in a NASCAR car and it gave me an entirely new appreciation for what they do! To me I enjoy it because the cars are all so similar it really comes down to driver skill and pit crew skill to be able to even get you that edge to get infront and be in a position to win, itā€™s more about the driver than the car.

as for buying tickets, thereā€™s always scalpers selling well above asking price, the 500 usually sells out but not till last minute, Iā€™d definitely try to get them directly from the speedway, or from a reputable online source if possible. And remember with NASCAR the higher up you sit the better! You do not want to sit low!

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
Thanks for all ticket advice, we have secured 2 day packages. Last attended in 2007, looking forward to better weather than the low 50s that day.
On a side note, I traded my ā€˜14 Chevy SS for my ā€˜20 JLR. I miss the SS.....it was such a fun sleeper. Did an HPDE event at Watkins Glen which was a blast!

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i went to the atlanta track and loved it. i would like to hit some races that are close to me like dover, pocono. i was going to do dover last year for all three races, but was a little late to call in a hotel which the closest one was 1 to 1.5 hours from the track. as the date was getting closer i ended up not going due to a unexpected minor surgery. i'll have to try again. on a side note, during my road trips. i've stopped at vagas, texas, dega, daytona, kentucky. louden, richmond, and a few others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Thanks for all ticket advice, we have secured 2 day packages. Last attended in 2007, looking forward to better weather than the low 50s that day.
On a side note, I traded my ā€˜14 Chevy SS for my ā€˜20 JLR. I miss the SS.....it was such a fun sleeper. Did an HPDE event at Watkins Glen which was a blast!
enjoy the trip and race. dont forget to take some pics.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Huge NASCAR fan here! #18 Kyle Busch for me! 2015 and 2019 season champion, and all time winningest NASCAR driver...Unfortunately heā€™s not the best super speedway driver, so I donā€™t have super high hopes for him winning, but ya never know, if youā€™re on the lead lap of the 500 on the last lap of it, you can win it.

it may seem boring on TV, but once you see it in person you get a whole new appreciation for it. Iā€™ve also done the nascar experience and actually drove myself 10 laps in a NASCAR car and it gave me an entirely new appreciation for what they do! To me I enjoy it because the cars are all so similar it really comes down to driver skill and pit crew skill to be able to even get you that edge to get infront and be in a position to win, itā€™s more about the driver than the car.

as for buying tickets, thereā€™s always scalpers selling well above asking price, the 500 usually sells out but not till last minute, Iā€™d definitely try to get them directly from the speedway, or from a reputable online source if possible. And remember with NASCAR the higher up you sit the better! You do not want to sit low!
agree with you 100% in atlanta i sat in the front row second section by the start / finish line. great seats and you can see everything. i set in the higher section for a indy race in milwalkie. if you havent gone to a indy race, you gotta go to one. its totally different feeling of a race.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
it will be interesting to see how the duel run thursday night. after seeing sunday's duel was crazy. but hands down to see hamlin pushing jones at 195 mph for the win. i thought for sure they was going to wreck.

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
it will be interesting to see how the duel run thursday night. after seeing sunday's duel was crazy. but hands down to see hamlin pushing jones at 195 mph for the win. i thought for sure they was going to wreck.
Oh man, I am watching the replay right now with 6 laps to go. where's the spoiler alert when you need it!

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
tonight is basically the start of the nascar season with the truck race and its starting with a big wreck. the # 45 truck rolled over and slide on the roof. last night duel was pretty good. bad luck for saurez. if he did wreck. he would of been in the sundays race.

BelAir2Corolla

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JGC, 2011 JGC
tonight is basically the start of the nascar season with the truck race and its starting with a big wreck. the # 45 truck rolled over and slide on the roof. last night duel was pretty good. bad luck for saurez. if he did wreck. he would of been in the sundays race.
So we drove to Daytona this past weekend, basically to a Trump rally! Alright, we arrived Saturday in plenty of time to see the xFinity race and enjoy the overall experience. The race Sunday being a washout, with the postponement until 4 pm Monday meant the we were headed home as a couple of us had to work TUesday. Would have stayed if the race were restarted at 10:00 am.
Good to hear Newman is awake and talking.
Already discussing a trip next year, will depend on my friends from western NY making the trip.
Sponsored