Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I don't claim to know how well this feature does for FCA's bottom line.

I'm referring of course to the MySky optional roof in the Renegade. In its ability to have sections of a fixed hardtop removed, and stored within the vehicle, I thought it merged the best of hard and soft top ownership.

Say you love your hardtop. Further, although not likely, say you find it totally no issue to remove it.

Even under these circumstances you're pretty much forced to leave the top at home--third party hitch based carrying features or rear pulled storage trailers notwithstanding, unless short trips or dry weather is in your future.

"Well get a soft top you say, open it and take it with you".....and contend with its inability to insulate as well against sound and weather.

"Own both tops." Pricey.

So entered MySky. It features the ability to remove or electrically open the front (hard) panel, and all (hard) panels can be taken with you.

I'm wondering if the best reason why this technology didn't transfer to the new Wrangler was that less people would buy the automatically retractable soft top--which I'm going to guess (are its prices out yet?) will be quite pricey. I would love to see MySky as an FCA option in the Wrangler, not a 3rd party one that's predicated first on buying the JL's new automatically retractable top as your cover.

I do though appreciate that feature availability has consequences for FCA in competing against other (potentially more profitable) features or brands that (uniquely) offer that feature (e.g. Renegade/MySky).

Thoughts?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I don't claim to know how well this feature does for FCA's bottom line.

I'm referring of course to the MySky optional roof in the Renegade. In its ability to have sections of a fixed hardtop removed, and stored within the vehicle, I thought it merged the best of hard and soft top ownership.

Say you love your hardtop. Further, although not likely, say you find it totally no issue to remove it.

Even under these circumstances you're pretty much forced to leave the top at home--third party hitch based carrying features or rear pulled storage trailers notwithstanding, unless short trips or dry weather is in your future.

"Well get a soft top you say, open it and take it with you".....and contend with its inability to insulate as well against sound and weather.

"Own both tops." Pricey.

So entered MySky. It features the ability to remove or electrically open the front (hard) panel, and all (hard) panels can be taken with you.

I'm wondering if the best reason why this technology didn't transfer to the new Wrangler was that less people would buy the automatically retractable soft top--which I'm going to guess (are its prices out yet?) will be quite pricey. I would love to see it as an FCA option in the Wrangler, not a 3rd party one that's predicated first on buying the JL's new automatically retractable top as your cover.

Thoughts?
You do realize the freedom top has panels that you can remove and take with you?

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping for that as well based on one of the clay models. The option to have the sunroof over the driver and removal panels over the back row and trunk (along with rear window and quarter panels) would have been awesome! Maybe they’ll come out with that idea around 2020-22 when they’ve seen how the power soft performs. The only downside to the hardtop is taking it off in almost one big piece besides the freedom panels.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
You do realize the freedom top has panels that you can remove and take with you?
Yes poster, I do.

But we're limited to two bulkier, albeit transportable panels that only open up the first row. The MySky panels on the Renegade open the back row area as well, creating a more open feeling, and if this feature were transferred over to the JL, at least in the case of the Unlimited, 3 panels might be doable (not to mention the front row automatic open functionality.)

Some people may like the Soft top. To me, I always felt it, at least in its JK functionality, as a "bullet you took" on order to have "take off the top and take it with you" functionality. The wind noise and lack of insulation to more extreme temperatures, while obstacles to me, others my find endearing: or live in areas that face less temperature fluctuation than I do in my locale.

Again--there's always the option of owning both tops, and the extra expense in not only the products, but if lacking in people power and/or rigs, the labor to switch the tops biannually in 4 season environments.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
He is referring to multiple (nearly full cabin width) sunroof panels, stowable in back seat, not T-tops with backseat still covered.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Yes poster, I do.

But we're limited to two bulkier, albeit transportable panels that only open up the first row. The MySky panels on the Renegade open the back row area as well, creating a more open feeling, and if this feature were transferred over to the JL, at least in the case of the Unlimited, 3 panels might be doable (not to mention the front row automatic open functionality.)

Some people may like the Soft top. To me, I always felt it, at least in its JK functionality, as a "bullet you took" on order to have "take off the top and take it with you" functionality. The wind noise and lack of insulation to more extreme temperatures, while obstacles to me, others my find endearing: or live in areas that face less temperature fluctuation than I do in my locale.

Again--there's always the option of owning both tops, and the extra expense in not only the products, but if lacking in people power and/or rigs, the labor to switch the tops biannually in 4 season environments.
i can't wait until wrangler has a similar system, but with clear panels.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Not understanding how the retractable top does not cover all of your bases here OP.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Do wish the rear window itself was removable

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Not understanding how the retractable top does not cover all of your bases here OP.
First--let's make sure we're on the same page. When you say retractable top do you mean the JL's new power retractable soft top?

If you do, then all the downsides to a soft top I discuss above apply, including its inability to keep out he elements as well as the hard top, including noise and temperature.