MY20 JL Changes

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
So I finally picked up my Rubicon on Wednesday and absolutely loving it. While I was there, My sales guy was informing me that its good that i ordered so early as

A) Mojito is obviously no longer available and will be a super rare colour,
B) There is a slight tailgate change, (The keyhole has been removed)
C) Price overall has gone up. I think my Rubicon build went up about 10k in price due to various factors listed next.
D) Soft top no longer included with Rubicon ($2700 option), Steel bar no longer included (Cant remember the price), Electrical group is now standard i believe, The Heritage Tan leather seat colour option has been replaced by another colour (Once again, cant remember what)

Im sure there were other things, but i was more focused on ending the nearly 8 month wait for my car that was right next to me at the time haha.

So no major changes to the car itself, just more the options it comes with as standard have changed.

That said, anyone who orders a MY20 JLU with a hard top.. I have a brand new, never used, never opened soft top for sale =)
Sponsored

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jaydee,

I have a 2019 Hardtop Sport S. I would be interested in your soft top. What do you think you would sell it for?

Congrats on your Rubi. I have had my Jl since June and am loving it!

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Jaydee, I forgot to ask is it a JL or a JLU?

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Unfortunately for you, I have a JLU.

But still keen on selling it to anyone else =)

AussieMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Overland 2019
Unfortunately for you, I have a JLU.

But still keen on selling it to anyone else =)
Jaydee, I am interested in the soft top you are selling. What do you want for it? Happy to discuss offline if you wish.

Sponsored

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Wow! these are major changes! Especially the soft top and steel bar not being included! I am really glad I got mine this year. Still $2700 add on for the soft top seems relatively cheap as it's normally a 4k part isn't it? Still really glad i got both tops...

Congrats on the Rubi btw! You will love it!

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
went up 10k....
Glad I made the order.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Especially the soft top and steel bar not being included! I am really glad I got mine this year.
The Rubicon steel front bumper looks pretty good but it doesn't have the front parking sensors plus it's very heavy (compared to some aftermarket steel bumpers).

Also a part of me is worried about impact absorption in a collision because the JL transfers a lot of the impact on to the passengers as is. So in a heavy impact, steel bumper and vehicle might be in better shape than the passengers. Anything more and you'll have a mangled frame (hopefully insurance writes it off) and tomato soup inside the cabin which is far worse. But having a steel bumper is a good idea if you're mainly in relatively slow moving and city areas because if someone does bump, it's their loss... just need to hope it's not a person. (I thought I was going to finish off on a positive note).

. Still $2700 add on for the soft top seems relatively cheap as it's normally a 4k part isn't it?
They're much cheaper, in the order of a $1000 and quite abundant because most people use the hard-top. That's probably why will not include it in the new one.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
The Rubicon steel front bumper looks pretty good but it doesn't have the front parking sensors plus it's very heavy (compared to some aftermarket steel bumpers).

Also a part of me is worried about impact absorption in a collision because the JL transfers a lot of the impact on to the passengers as is. So in a heavy impact, steel bumper and vehicle might be in better shape than the passengers. Anything more and you'll have a mangled frame (hopefully insurance writes it off) and tomato soup inside the cabin which is far worse. But having a steel bumper is a good idea if you're mainly in relatively slow moving and city areas because if someone does bump, it's their loss... just need to hope it's not a person. (I thought I was going to finish off on a positive note).
You dont need front parking sensors... if somethings in front of you, just drive over it =P haha but honestly I'd take the factory steel bar over front parking sensors personally. Never needed front sensors before and never had an issue so far =/ But i can see how this would be nice to have.

One thing i think that needs to be taken into consideration with the steel bar and front impact is that the car has auto emergency braking so you dont need to worry about that as much as the Americans do. Our cars should in theory stop or at least try to slow down as best as possible before a huge accident (at least into an object it can see like a car in front of you) While this isnt an answer for everything like a head on collision or something like that, it is added safety and is better than nothing.

at the end of the day, if anyone is that worried about safety. then a wrangler isnt the car to own. My sister and brother in law want a new JL Overland/Sahara but they plan on having kids soon and decided to go another route for a bit of added safety. I think they were now looking at a cherokee trail hawk or what ever its called as much as they love my car haha.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
@rubileon the Jeep soft top kit is approx 4k in the accessories page on the Jeep website... A bit cheaper for the two door...

I'm no worried about the impact absorption due to the steel bumper. The plastic bumper won't improve it that much as most of the rigidity is from the frame. On the crash tests (which there were few done) the frame and the convertible pillar design were the biggest downfalls. These factors are unavoidable in a, well, convertible 4WD.... Beside AEB will make a much bigger safety difference than a slightly better crumpling car. Also, the crumple zones being too firm only really make a difference if the crash, like in the tests, is against an immovable object, or a much bigger/heavier object.

Having said that I totally agree with these red hook covers... They can be the difference between a bruised or busted limb in a slow speed pedestrian accident. Or even a stationary one where a kid falls of their bike near my parked jeep. Which isn't far fetched if you are going to campsites often...

Also I have never really cared for the front parking sensors... A couple mates have them in their cars.... In all cases they all seemed mostly redundant.

So I am still super glad with my 19 model and that I got it before the changes. :like::)

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
You dont need front parking sensors... if somethings in front of you, just drive over it =P haha but honestly I'd take the factory steel bar over front parking sensors personally. Never needed front sensors before and never had an issue so far =/ But i can see how this would be nice to have.

One thing i think that needs to be taken into consideration with the steel bar and front impact is that the car has auto emergency braking so you dont need to worry about that as much as the Americans do. Our cars should in theory stop or at least try to slow down as best as possible before a huge accident (at least into an object it can see like a car in front of you) While this isnt an answer for everything like a head on collision or something like that, it is added safety and is better than nothing.

at the end of the day, if anyone is that worried about safety. then a wrangler isnt the car to own. My sister and brother in law want a new JL Overland/Sahara but they plan on having kids soon and decided to go another route for a bit of added safety. I think they were now looking at a cherokee trail hawk or what ever its called as much as they love my car haha.
Well I don't know about yours but I don't trust the auto emergency braking in mine. The front sensors are better to have and not need than need and not have. It should help with the resale value also. Plus I'm sure they'll come up with a new bumper with the sensor holes. There are knock offs from China that have these already.

I wouldn't say a Wrangler is unsafe. The JKUO Wrangler I had didn't suffer from footwell deformation issues on impact the JLU has. But no point crying over spilt milk as they say. JL is the only option now. Can't see myself getting a Bronco or a Defender either.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Well I don't know about yours but I don't trust the auto emergency braking in mine. The front sensors are better to have and not need than need and not have. It should help with the resale value also. Plus I'm sure they'll come up with a new bumper with the sensor holes. There are knock offs from China that have these already.

I wouldn't say a Wrangler is unsafe. The JKUO Wrangler I had didn't suffer from footwell deformation issues on impact the JLU has. But no point crying over spilt milk as they say. JL is the only option now. Can't see myself getting a Bronco or a Defender either.
yeah, the adaptive cruise control works absolutely perfect and i had the aeb go off once with a warning in a false positive in which i was turning slightly left and it thought a car in the right lane was in front of me.. it then realised pretty quickly that i was in a different lane.. It seems like its fine. I mean if you are that worried, you can up the sensitivity of AEB.

But yeah, i dont think front sensors are that important.. guess its more for parking than anything else obviously. But each to their own.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
yeah, the adaptive cruise control works absolutely perfect and i had the aeb go off once with a warning in a false positive in which i was turning slightly left and it thought a car in the right lane was in front of me.. it then realised pretty quickly that i was in a different lane.. It seems like its fine. I mean if you are that worried, you can up the sensitivity of AEB.

But yeah, i dont think front sensors are that important.. guess its more for parking than anything else obviously. But each to their own.
That's exactly what I mean... false positives. Increasing the sensitivity would just make it worse.

Btw your Jeep looks great. Are those real plates?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
@rubileon the Jeep soft top kit is approx 4k in the accessories page on the Jeep website... A bit cheaper for the two door...

I'm no worried about the impact absorption due to the steel bumper. The plastic bumper won't improve it that much as most of the rigidity is from the frame. On the crash tests (which there were few done) the frame and the convertible pillar design were the biggest downfalls. These factors are unavoidable in a, well, convertible 4WD.... Beside AEB will make a much bigger safety difference than a slightly better crumpling car. Also, the crumple zones being too firm only really make a difference if the crash, like in the tests, is against an immovable object, or a much bigger/heavier object.

Having said that I totally agree with these red hook covers... They can be the difference between a bruised or busted limb in a slow speed pedestrian accident. Or even a stationary one where a kid falls of their bike near my parked jeep. Which isn't far fetched if you are going to campsites often...

Also I have never really cared for the front parking sensors... A couple mates have them in their cars.... In all cases they all seemed mostly redundant.

So I am still super glad with my 19 model and that I got it before the changes. :like::)
I meant people are selling them in the 1000 range. Factory options are always ridiculou. Might go up in value if dual tops aren't standard. Does the Sport S get the dual top also? I think I've seen a few.

I got front parking sensors on my JLUR and mine's a 19. Jumped at the opportunity when I could get something different. Might replace the front bumper with something else but right now is a very low priority thing. But I like how the steel bumper takes less space up front because it helps with tight parking spots.

I don't need the parking sensors personally but less experienced and short drivers in the household find the JL's bulbous hood a problem compared to the JK standard hood with clean lines. Parking sensors help a bit with that.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
@rubileon Yeah I won't lie. It did take a while for me to get used to the length of the bumper on my JK. Sensors would help there.
Also agree with preferring how the steel bumper is slightly shorter. Helps even when parking in my garage. I was not a fan of how much the plastic one stuck out..
Sponsored