Sponsored

My Wrangler S got it's new kicks, however.....

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@mwilk012

Had the Mopar TPMS sensors been left in the factory wheel this guy bought they would have been read, especially after "a couple of hundred miles" as the OP stated.

REGARDLESS, you don't tell some guy that does not know better to do as you told him. Absolutely an injustice to him.

No, to your "several users have had problems"..... any such reports were from user's installing aftermarket TPMS sensors, not OEM TPMS sensors that came with a JL..

EVEN SO, an injustice to tell some poor slug to do what you suggested. You should have told him to have wheels scanned!

I'll comment no more here on this.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sorry new to tire sensors. How does the vehicle pair with a new or different sensor? Is this done automatically? Do all sensors use the same frequency to communicate?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Per the users manual, they should pick up within 20 minutes or so of driving. They all use the same frequency, but the sensors are 2 parts. The transmitter in the wheel and the receiver mounted on the vehicle, which is how the jeep knows which tire is low, even if you do a rotation. It SHOULD be automatic. You should double check with the person you received the wheels from and see what was done, and then consider taking your vehicle in to either a tire shop or your dealer if they are helpful. Software isn't my strong point.

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
I bought new sensors from Amazon and the jeep knew they were there when I backed out of the shop and were displaying the correct tire pressures immediately...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I bought new sensors from Amazon and the jeep knew they were there when I backed out of the shop and were displaying the correct tire pressures immediately...
Which is what should happen.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Sorry new to tire sensors. How does the vehicle pair with a new or different sensor? Is this done automatically? Do all sensors use the same frequency to communicate?
Yes, it is done automatically. See my earlier post for more info on this. Also, all TPMS Sensors are lets say, not created equal. You have to use a TPMS Sensor that is compatible with the specific vehicle' Wireless Control Module or the TPMS Sensor will not be read.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yes, it is done automatically. See my earlier post for more info on this. Also, all TPMS Sensors are lets say, not created equal. You have to use a TPMS Sensor that is compatible with the specific vehicle' Wireless Control Module or the TPMS Sensor will not be read.
Okay. That’s what I was wondering. When buying an aftermarket sensor you have to make sure it’s compatible with Jeep. A sensor for another brand may not work.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Okay. That’s what I was wondering. When buying an aftermarket sensor you have to make sure it’s compatible with Jeep. A sensor for another brand may not work.
Not necessarily that it is compatible with "Jeep" but rather compatible with your specific vehicle.

Another point is that the TPMS Sensor you use in your JLU, does not have to be made my Mopar. You can use an aftermarket TPMS Sensor just as long as it is compatible/recognized by your specific vehicle.

Also, theTPMS Sensor has a battery in it . Battery life varies, but 7 years is the average. Some TPMS Sensors have replaceable batteries but most do not. They are trying to come up with /to perfect, a TPMS Sensor that has a battery that recharges itself.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I was planning on buying Rubicon takeoff wheels for a Sport. I guess the lesson here is... make sure they have the sensors?

Apparently those sensors are expensive and have finite life? That sucks...

Sponsored

b1er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon, '18 JL Sport, 1980 El Camino, 1969 Olds 442
OP
OP

kablam0r

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
No sensors in the tires. Seller is kicking me back $200 and I'm going to pull the sensors from my original set. 4wd Parts is going to charge me $57.50 to swap them. They quoted me $530 to put in new OEM sensors!

Last edited:

Nitrous1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
The valve stems are around $15-20 a piece I believe so don't forget that in the cost, they cannot be reused from your old wheels, only the sensor. If they left the factory stems in and they did the same thing you're doing, your all good, the sensors will bolt right on

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
85 bucks for 5 of them shipped?... expensive? that's less than 20 bucks each...
To me that's expensive for a tire sensor. I might be biased because I've never had TPMS in a vehicle before, so I've never spent a dime in tire sensors before. Hearing that they apparently have a lifespan sucks too.

A hundred bucks here and there adds up on a long term cost of ownership.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The valve stems are around $15-20 a piece I believe so don't forget that in the cost, they cannot be reused from your old wheels, only the sensor. If they left the factory stems in and they did the same thing you're doing, your all good, the sensors will bolt right on
This sure does make rim swaps more complicated than old days of yore.

My dreams of getting on Rubicon takeoffs for $300 are tarnished! haha
Sponsored