Sponsored

My Wrangler S got it's new kicks, however.....

kablam0r

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I bough a set of rubicon wheels and tires from a member here on the board. We (seller and I)thought that the TPMS sensors were in the tires still. He had aftermarket 35's installed by a local off road shop. Anyways, they look and drive great, however, after putting a couple hundred miles on it the sensors are not picking up. Does that mean there are no sensors in the tire or could the TPMS need to be reset some how? Is there anyway to visually tell if the TPMS are in the tires? If not, would do you think a fair $ to get back since I'll have to pay a shop to pull the sensors off my old tires?

Thanks!

-Bryan

jeep.jpg
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Whatever the standard charge to mount tires would be in your area. They will have to break both down to install your old ones.

OP
OP

kablam0r

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So probably no sensors in the tires?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Paying per tire is a load of bull, it takes seconds on a tire machine to pop a tire off. These guys are charging the equivalent of near 1000 dollars per hour. If the guy that pulled them off had new sensors put in his new wheels, there is no reason to assume the OEM aren't still installed in yours.

OP
OP

kablam0r

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Is there a way to visually tell if the TPMS sensors are in the tires?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yea, let all of the air out of the tire, and squish it down to look toward the valve stem. If there is a black box, its installed. Just air back up when you're done.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Look for videos of people swapping their TPMS out and try that on a wheel. I broke the beads on my rubicon wheels to put sensors in using a block of wood and a jack.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@kablam0r

Undoubtedly there are no TPMS sensors in the wheels or your JLU would have recognized them already.

You can go to any decent tire shop and they, with hand held scanner, (you can buy one for $16+ on amazon, etc.) can scan each wheel and tell you yes or no whether the wheel has a TPMS sensor. Tire shop will do the scan for free most likely. Only takes them minutes to scan 5 wheels. Note: Spare has a TPMS sensor to.

Don't be frigging trying to let out out of the tire, etc. to check. Doing this is ridiculous.

Suggest that you go to Discount Tire if you have one local to you. They have a generic TPMS sensor that works well with the JLU. Discount Tire has been known to install the TPMS sensor they sell you for free.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@kablam0r

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, within seconds of a tire rotation for example.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Yea, let all of the air out of the tire, and squish it down to look toward the valve stem. If there is a black box, its installed. Just air back up when you're done.
Can't believe you would tell someone who did know better to do this! Ridiculous.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
He asked for a way to visually tell. That is the only way.
And your response should have been similar to mine! You should have said go get them scanned for free at a tire store.

Also, chances are pretty much zero that this forum member has TPMS sensors in his wheels. You told him "there is no reason to assume the OEM aren't still installed in yours" which is nonsensical at best..... also, a TPMS sensor is not a "black box" !

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
And your response should have been similar to mine! You should have said go get them scanned for free at a tire store.

Also, chances are pretty much zero that this forum member has TPMS sensors in his wheels. You told him "there is no reason to assume the OEM aren't still installed in yours" which is nonsensical at best.
Several users have had problems with their jeep registering new TPMS sensors. I said specifically, that if the original wheels and tires were never broken down because the guy bought new TPMS, there is no reason to assume they removed the OEM sensors. That is just extra work for no reason, unless the tire shop is stealing sensors.

Nitrous1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
9B0DC462-9EBB-4576-8E3B-7C53BAA361AA.jpeg
Is there a way to visually tell if the TPMS sensors are in the tires?
The easiest way with a stock TPM is the valve stem will have this metal collar below the threads, but that does not mean someone didn't take the sensor off and reuse it on the new wheels,the valve stem will still work without the TPM
Sponsored