Sponsored

My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog. Looking for recommendations.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Many years ago we decided not to support dog breeding any longer and so we find our riding companions at shelters since then. We visit and walk through and interact with some dogs and eventually one will pick you. Some people like to go through the puppy phase; we prefer adults. Although last time we ended up with a dog we think was around 9 months. That’s what happens sometimes, when you let the animal participate in the decision.

53EEDD11-058E-4AAD-8283-6C42E9CE6052.jpeg
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Our German Short-haired Pointer, Kya, is an excellent traveling companion, but she is high energy and needs a lot of exercise and attention. She's on the smaller side for her breed at about 50 pounds.
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. 20220708_101921

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Rescue dogs are the best! Jack russel / fiest always traveled well wit us. Nice rig. Miss mine. maybe I'll build another someday. Happy trails.

20170805_181146_HDR.jpg

20170807_130720_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
We Jeep travel a lot. We have always had big dogs. Like this.

He was about 215 pounds

I want something that does not shed a ton of hair and is easy to keep clean and kind of low keyed.
XOLO. they are completely hairless with some having a Mohawk, Hypoallergenic, super smart, I bath mine once a month and put lotion on once a week. no smell.
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. 1664164119139

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am getting ready to share this thread with my wife.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Those are all amazing dogs. I'm excited for you on your journey to getting your next pal. We chose a Beauceron for when we lived in Latin America...let's just say nobody mugged us....but she's a 100% people-tribe dog and is super-kid friendly. I'm only pointing this out (she sheds....so I might not recommend this breed in particular) because if you need to leave the dog in an open-top or windows-off or door-off Jeep while you go in some place for a few....you have an automatic theft-deterrent system. Having an imposing yet friendly dog is not a bad idea if you travel a lot and yet can't bring the dog inside all the time. Just a thought! Good luck on your dog search and please keep us all posted!
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. Cerberus aka Jada

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Those are all amazing dogs. I'm excited for you on your journey to getting your next pal. We chose a Beauceron for when we lived in Latin America...let's just say nobody mugged us....but she's a 100% people-tribe dog and is super-kid friendly. I'm only pointing this out (she sheds....so I might not recommend this breed in particular) because if you need to leave the dog in an open-top or windows-off or door-off Jeep while you go in some place for a few....you have an automatic theft-deterrent system. Having an imposing yet friendly dog is not a bad idea if you travel a lot and yet can't bring the dog inside all the time. Just a thought! Good luck on your dog search and please keep us all posted!
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. Cerberus aka Jada
Will keep you guys posted.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i just got a new jeeping buddy. Shedding is on the moderate to low scale with once a week brushings' Picked up 1 year old Conner the blue tick hound in the Jeep two day's ago from our local Pet rescue. my wife and i had been walking dogs with this rescue for a couple weeks and when this guy came in it was over not having pups at the house any longer. 21-27" at the shoulder and 45-80lbs is the call out for them. currently hes about done growing according to the vet paperwork at 55lbs and likes to curl up in a ball an be a lap dog thus far. He hasn't barked but once so far and is really warming up to the jeep and car rides well.

A0C6D253-29FB-40BE-BA78-4AA617D59C56.jpeg

A561BD36-3EC1-4A9B-A432-856390EFC1CB.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So yesterday Carla got her new dog. A two year old Jack Russell rescue from the animal shelter. His new name is Mr Business
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. 1EE6794A-36D5-4C04-B2BD-52FD28369028
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. 53D936F7-4FE4-46E8-9EF2-25194427B6EA
Jeep Wrangler JL My wife is wanting a Jeep traveling dog.  Looking for recommendations. 1CAE9C33-820E-47B1-AE7D-6058523874F2

He is doing great and adjusting well. Rides great in the Jeep and way more chill than I expected. Carla is a happy girl.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
We have a couple Australian Sheppards that are great travel buddies. They really enjoy the ride and then getting out and hiking/exploring. We got them from a working farm. The owner only breeds them so she can maintain good working dog population so she only breeds when she needs a new dog and sells the rest pretty cheap.
Aussies typically range from 35-55 lbs, and can live a really long time, and have no agility issues jumping into lifted vehicles.

We have a 35lb male, and freak outlier of a 67lb female. She's big but not too big. think small german sheppard size.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We've enjoyed our corgis.

They're extremely athletic, but also quite portable and they travel well.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Get a blue heeler, and you’re set for many years of the best Jeep/travel dog ever.
Sponsored