My wife is complaining of lower back pain in the passenger seat - any ideas?

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Her back pain is most likely from poor positioning while seated. Make sure the back of the seat is in the upright position. If it is reclined it will put more stress on the joints in the lower back. When she is seated with the seat back in the upright position take note of the position of her knees compared to her hips. Her knees should be higher than her hips (her thighs will be slanted and she should not feel pressure of the front of the seat where the back of the knee contacts). Use of a small foot rest will most likely be needed to elevate her knees above her hips. Lumbar support will be of minimal help if she does not have proper seating ergonomics.

Advertisement

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
I second @renegadecaderyn. when i have my girl driving long road miles i tend to do my best at keeping the seat upright and in a proper seated pos. ( My Girl is a Physical therapist ) and always gets at me about sitting pos. and since i started taking her wonderful advise my back is finally doing much better than it was 6 years ago when i first met her. i also keep a small lumbar pillow in the jeep to help

OP
freal

freal

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Let the wife drive? She'll be so distracted by the fun experience and having to wave at all the other Wranglers, that she may not notice any back pain?
Yeah, she drives as much as she wants and it for sure helps.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I do not have heated seats.
I live in TX and this is the main reason I ordered heated seats. To soothe any back pain I have from getting older.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I live in TX and this is the main reason I ordered heated seats. To soothe any back pain I have from getting older.
Yes, never had back pain while sitting long periods of time until a certain age. I think the seat pain is unique per person. Wife has always had a back back - no issue in her SUV but my back hurts when driving her vehicle. Jeep isn't a problem.

JLUin818

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was going to say trade it in for the luxurious Sahara model but i see you already have that. I guess a G wagon is your only solution now.

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement