Sponsored

My wife is complaining of lower back pain in the passenger seat - any ideas?

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Her back pain is most likely from poor positioning while seated. Make sure the back of the seat is in the upright position. If it is reclined it will put more stress on the joints in the lower back. When she is seated with the seat back in the upright position take note of the position of her knees compared to her hips. Her knees should be higher than her hips (her thighs will be slanted and she should not feel pressure of the front of the seat where the back of the knee contacts). Use of a small foot rest will most likely be needed to elevate her knees above her hips. Lumbar support will be of minimal help if she does not have proper seating ergonomics.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I second @renegadecaderyn. when i have my girl driving long road miles i tend to do my best at keeping the seat upright and in a proper seated pos. ( My Girl is a Physical therapist ) and always gets at me about sitting pos. and since i started taking her wonderful advise my back is finally doing much better than it was 6 years ago when i first met her. i also keep a small lumbar pillow in the jeep to help

OP
OP
freal

freal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Let the wife drive? She'll be so distracted by the fun experience and having to wave at all the other Wranglers, that she may not notice any back pain?
Yeah, she drives as much as she wants and it for sure helps.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I live in TX and this is the main reason I ordered heated seats. To soothe any back pain I have from getting older.
Yes, never had back pain while sitting long periods of time until a certain age. I think the seat pain is unique per person. Wife has always had a back back - no issue in her SUV but my back hurts when driving her vehicle. Jeep isn't a problem.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I was going to say trade it in for the luxurious Sahara model but i see you already have that. I guess a G wagon is your only solution now.

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
We are two months in and our loving our 2018 JLU Sahara. We just did our first longer road trip to Death Valley (highly recommend). It was awesome except after a few hours of normal roads my wife said her lower back was in big pain. I was doing most of the driving and she was in the passenger seat this time. It was certainly a bummer and even a bigger bummer when she suggested we might have to get a different vehicle. This happened a few times on the trip after several hours. Are there any suggestions for improving the seat situation? Cushions? Lumbar support devices?
Needs to work on core muscles of stomach and back, seats are perfect IMO.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Wow, this is an old thread. But I will say this, the 2 door front seats are more comfortable for some reason. I know the frames are different to allow for them to slide.fold forward.

DeathWobbler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Rather than trial/error, I'd consult people (via virtual appointment) that do this for a living: https://relaxtheback.com/. We're lucky; we have three of them in our metro area.

I'd assume that your wife's issue is a very common one for them.

Last edited: