My week with a JK after owning a JL

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Over the past few years I've been renting Wrangler JKs when going to Hawaii. This was the first year that I rented one after I already owned a JL since February.

I wanted to share my thoughts moving between the two, and the last 9 days with a JK and then coming home to a JL.

Please don't read into this too much as it's just my opinion and I'm in no way putting down the JK.

1. The door handles on the JK drive me crazy. Pressing the button to open the door is a strange thing to get used to after having pull handles. My wife being left handed had a heck of a time getting used to the passenger door since her strong hand couldn't really do it.

2. It seems like there is a bit more legroom on the JK. It also seemed as if the seat was slightly lower on the JK and so my head had more room above it.

3. Sound system in the JL is superior compared to my rental. I'm not sure if this is a result of abuse over the past year or rentals or just the actual improvement of the premium sound system in the JL.

4. Locking the console and glovebox was a pain while in motion. In the JL i just pull the key out of my pocket and hand it to the passenger.

5. Freedom panels are pretty heavy in comparison, and the latch system used in the JK with the screws are a pain in the butt and can get lost.

6. Throttle response was horribly slow on the JK. When I got home and got in the JL I felt like I was going to pop a wheelie pulling out of the driveway :)

It seems like all the changes made for the JL were improvements. Usually when a new version of something comes out there's some quirky list of things that were supposed to be improved but actually seem like they got worse.

Overall I love any JEEP, but coming home to the JL was awesome. Some pics just for fun.
146ujle.jpg

apNK3pn.jpg
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@Yakpimp

Glad you enjoyed your time brother! It’s a beautiful place no doubt!

Thanks for the review. Good to know we (JL’s) rain supreme :)

Great pics!

EDIT:

Hopefully the dinosaurs didn’t get too aggressive!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@Yakpimp : it's an interesting perspective to return to the JK after riding the JL most recently.

On my honeymoon, years ago, the automatic vehicle my wife and I rented appeared to not have many of its prior drivers engine break via downshifting the "road to Hana," as I did, as the brakes seem awfully warned down for the mileage: even for a rental.

JK or JL, riding in Hawaii with a Wrangler seems like something that goes together like "peanut butter and Jelly."

Would you be willing to share any firms you know of that effect just such rentals...is it through a major rental agency?

Thanks

OP
OP
Yakpimp

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Yakpimp : it's an interesting perspective to return to the JK after riding the JL most recently.

On my honeymoon, years ago, the automatic vehicle my wife and I rented appeared to not have many of its prior drivers engine break via downshifting the "road to Hana," as I did, as the brakes seem awfully warned down for the mileage: even for a rental.

JK or JL, riding in Hawaii with a Wrangler seems like something that goes together like "peanut butter and Jelly."

Would you be willing to share any firms you know of that effect just such rentals...is it through a major rental agency?

Thanks
I don't know what you mean by firms. :|

We rented through Costco and it was from Alamo. There are so many Wranglers there it's not even funny.

We did road to Hana and at one point saw a sign for Falling Rocks. Normally that isn't a big deal to me, but I could actually see baseball sized rocks in the street. We had the freedom panels off at the time and I told my wife to hold her arm over her head until we could get to a spot to pull over safely and put the panels back on. She totally thought I was joking until she looked over and saw me covering my head.

It was about 6PM at the time and pitch black out. When I finally did pull over I was basically standing in the middle of a jungle smelling like SPAM and trying to put the pain in the butt panels back on. I swear I heard things rustling in the woods. Fully expected a Velociraptor to jump out at me. About 10 miles down the road I thought I saw a bear or something on the side of the road. It turned out to just be a cow/bull hanging out but still pretty scary in the dark.

Totally worth the extra 50 bucks for the JEEP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
firms = businesses :)

BTW: did you like how some of the curves on this road are so aggressive that your driver's and passenger's side windows often become your "front" windows during turns?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yakpimp

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
firms = businesses :)

BTW: did you like how some of the curves on this road are so aggressive that your driver's and passenger's side windows often become your "front" windows during turns?
Year we did the trip years ago in an eclipse and with the Jeep it was much better. Pulling over on the side of the road and not having to worry about getting stuck was a nice perk. Unfortunately there were no water falls to be driven up (like the commercial) but it was fun either way.

OP
OP
Yakpimp

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Another couple things I noticed.

1. The wiper motor at the top of the window and overall back window visibility is so much better on the JL.

2. Light controls off the blinker makes is easier to see. Even though I just leave it on auto now.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I went from a Jk to the JL and agree with everything you said...

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
When I went to pick up my JL the salesperson said he had just got a JK a couple years ago and was trying to find every reason he could to hate on it to make himself feel better. He's losing that battle with himself. I've never owned a Jeep before so I don't know the difference, but I'm sure glad I jumped into one with the JL :D

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
Over the past few years I've been renting Wrangler JKs when going to Hawaii. This was the first year that I rented one after I already owned a JL since February.

I wanted to share my thoughts moving between the two, and the last 9 days with a JK and then coming home to a JL.

Please don't read into this too much as it's just my opinion and I'm in no way putting down the JK.

1. The door handles on the JK drive me crazy. Pressing the button to open the door is a strange thing to get used to after having pull handles. My wife being left handed had a heck of a time getting used to the passenger door since her strong hand couldn't really do it.

2. It seems like there is a bit more legroom on the JK. It also seemed as if the seat was slightly lower on the JK and so my head had more room above it.

3. Sound system in the JL is superior compared to my rental. I'm not sure if this is a result of abuse over the past year or rentals or just the actual improvement of the premium sound system in the JL.

4. Locking the console and glovebox was a pain while in motion. In the JL i just pull the key out of my pocket and hand it to the passenger.

5. Freedom panels are pretty heavy in comparison, and the latch system used in the JK with the screws are a pain in the butt and can get lost.

6. Throttle response was horribly slow on the JK. When I got home and got in the JL I felt like I was going to pop a wheelie pulling out of the driveway :)

It seems like all the changes made for the JL were improvements. Usually when a new version of something comes out there's some quirky list of things that were supposed to be improved but actually seem like they got worse.

Overall I love any JEEP, but coming home to the JL was awesome. Some pics just for fun.
146ujle.jpg

apNK3pn.jpg
Totally agree with all of those assessments. I loved my JKU and we still own a JK but my JLU is SO much better.

On a side note we rented a twin to that one while in Hawaii last spring. Poor Jeepy had never had it's doors or top off, so we had to remedy that situation. Couldn't get a single wave until we did that, after all the locals would wave back, the rentals,not so much.... We were visiting my BIL who was stationed there so we could leave the top and doors in his backyard, my niece and nephew had a blast, my SIL not so much when we got caught in a rain storm and the top was back at the house in her backyard!

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG

IMG_4585.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Great write up. There is nothing better than traveling.
Sponsored