Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Because in order to do this properly you need to be able to measure lash and the dealerships don't have a way to do that.
I thought the set the lash they measure the turn torque on the input shaft? Or maybe that was the test to determine if the box was good.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I thought the set the lash they measure the turn torque on the input shaft? Or maybe that was the test to determine if the box was good.
Yeah I think in order to properly measure the lash out would have to go in a bench big designed for that purpose. The lash is measured from the output shaft.

FredC

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport Unlimited
I just bought a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport and wish I had seen these posts before buying it Have about 600 miles on it now. Same problem staying in my own lane as noted in many of these posts. Guess I will take it to the dealer and get it on record that it has a problem in case a class action comes about. I really expect to hear the same answer, "no problem found" from the dealership..

I may try the steering box adjustment.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I just bought a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport and wish I had seen these posts before buying it Have about 600 miles on it now. Same problem staying in my own lane as noted in many of these posts. Guess I will take it to the dealer and get it on record that it has a problem in case a class action comes about. I really expect to hear the same answer, "no problem found" from the dealership..

I may try the steering box adjustment.
Definitely take it to the dealer and get @JeepCares involved. Document *everything*—every dealer interaction, voice mail, phone call, etc. Make sure the dealer documents your visit correctly.

Your dealer can check your toe and caster. The toe was off on my JLR off the lot and the caster was below spec (but that's not usually a problem in the Sports). They should check the torque on the steer components. Make sure they don't just do a "visual inspection." I had very loose sway links that made the steering feel more loose.

Hopefully your dealer will work with you.

Good luck.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Anyone notice if you pull up the off road app the dead spot is pretty much right on with the steering angle displayed? It shows 0* right until the wheel takes up the dead spot and then it jumps to 1*. Makes me think the issue may be more with the steering angle sensors than the rest of the system.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
I just saw this as im looking for my fix kn my JLUR and u may want google some videos on it This looks hopeful... ive sent to my dealer... my jeep had 700 miles on it when dropped off fir fux almost 2 weeks ago.

Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace
Any updates from the dealer? Did you add any of the above items? Sector shaft or track bar? Mine is stock 2019 JLUR and does this as well. 1,700 miles now but did it from day 1.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
Any updates from the dealer? Did you add any of the above items? Sector shaft or track bar? Mine is stock 2019 JLUR and does this as well. 1,700 miles now but did it from day 1.
My JLUR 6CYL still at dealer - over monrh now. Verified software, tires, wheels, susoension, arms, dampers, shicjz, changed steering box to a/e. FCA advised me via dealer Engineers aware of problem and reviewing but due to virus no ETA for next step, no ETA for fix. If i want they will tow my jeep back to my home but recommend against driving it.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
I have escalated case at Dealer, escalared at Jeep customer care whi is reviewing casfir any all options to resolve. I have asked them about allowing me to change out the steering system with the
PSC hydralic pump and HD steering box

Sponsored

jack buening

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I installed the Synergy MFG's Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace and have had tremendous improvement. Prior to installation, the steering box would flex over 1/2" that could be seen when having wife turn steering wheel back and forth. It is rock steady now and I have virtually no wandering or rut following. I'm extremely pleased.

FredC

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport Unlimited
I haven't posted in a while but have been watching the treads on loose steering. A friend of mine and I adjusted my steering box over a couple of weeks time and now have it adjusted correctly. My white knuckle driving is gone. Drives great at 75 MPH with one hand.

I will add that you can tighten too much which we did and that was no fun to drive either so take it a little at a time.

It isn't "too tight" as I have read in some threads, we left a little play or dead spot in the steering to accommodate for temperature change.

Also we did it from the top of the engine, much easier than trying to make the adjustment from under the Jeep.

Not recommending that others do this, just wanted to let everyone know what the adjustment did for my Jeep.

jack buening

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I haven't posted in a while but have been watching the treads on loose steering. A friend of mine and I adjusted my steering box over a couple of weeks time and now have it adjusted correctly. My white knuckle driving is gone. Drives great at 75 MPH with one hand.

I will add that you can tighten too much which we did and that was no fun to drive either so take it a little at a time.

It isn't "too tight" as I have read in some threads, we left a little play or dead spot in the steering to accommodate for temperature change.

Also we did it from the top of the engine, much easier than trying to make the adjustment from under the Jeep.

Not recommending that others do this, just wanted to let everyone know what the adjustment did for my Jeep.

jack buening

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I did the same as you and it helped but didn't eliminate the constant wandering. I installed a Synergy track bar bracket and I now have a Jeep that runs straight and true.
Sponsored