Sponsored

My Tazer Review

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon with about 5,000 miles. When it was delivered I put a Smart Stop Start unit on as well as a Bestop Sunrider and Baja Designs Pocket Lights for the steel bumper. That is the extent of changes.

I prefer having more control over my vehicle than what is being allowed which is why I put the Smart Stop Start on.

I have been irritated by other control grabs. I would prefer to have the option to have the Baja Design Lights on with the brights, for trail use. I really hate that my vehicle's computer may slam it into park while moving. I have tested this and it is abuse in my book. I would prefer to be able to disconnect the sway bar in two wheel drive for rough trails. I would prefer to be able to lock the rear axle in two wheel drive. I would love to be rid of the weather alerts. I would like to be able to have a passenger use the Nav to enter information in motion. I would like to get rid of the butt button pushes that set off the alarm.

So, particularly when I heard about the Auto Park defeat, I decided I would get the Z Automotive Tazer JL Mini Programmer, despite reading about some instabilities.

I have 11.1.4 and I tried it for a week.

As for the axle lock options, I found that when I tried these that axle lock and unlock became unreliable. There were times that I could not unlock the axles. One time I ran out of dirt road and ran out of straight road and still had the rear axle locked. All I could do was turn on pavement and abuse the equipment with attendant wheel hopping. Bad news. Later I realized that maybe I could have unmarried the unit.

Then there was the front sway bar disconnect. This usually worked; sometimes with lots of delay. If I shut off the engine with the sway bar disconnected then started up again, it would go through a whole cycle of reconnecting and disconnecting again. This reminds me of what happens when parking without having the auto stop start defeated. I don't like that because of the delay and the wear of constant use. Usually I had to come to a stop to get the sway bar to disconnect.

I never tried the disable Travel Link/XM traffic weather defeat, because I do like some aspects of those features. I did enable use in motion. For whatever reason the Uconnect unit would reboot randomly shortly after start up. This never happened before.

Using the fogs with the high beams worked flawlessly.

The Panic button delete worked flawlessly.

The defeat auto stop start worked flawlessly.

The defeat auto park did not work at all. Apparently that has been removed because it was not reliable.

Not reliable is a recurring theme. I never knew quite what would happen or when it would happen. The whole experience was frustrating, including the confusing programming procedures, like on, or engine running, "live" or not.

So, I pulled the unit off yesterday and heaved a sigh of relief. Everything is not just like I would want it, but I know what will happen and what happens is predictable. I will keep the unit and watch for improvements.

The Smart Stop Start unit is back on. It has never had a single issue.
Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Stock tires? The lowering of the tpms threshold is a big one for me. Running 37s I only need about 28-30 psi and the they constantly had the light on without the tazer. Still trying to get sway kill dialed in. Occasionally hit about 20 on the trails and it’s super annoying to have the sway bar reconnect and then disconnect when you get back under 18. It seems that the unit can be super particular but I’m hoping to get it dialed in. Also have issues getting rear to unlock, but if you go from 4 low to 4 high it kicks it out, at least for me it has.